No announcement yet.

What historical event do you remember?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What historical event do you remember?

(Note: I'm born in 1984, ie. 19 years old.)

I don't remember the fall of the Wall or the first Gulf war. I do, however, have a faint memory of when the USSR was still on the maps. (Maybe they just were old maps. ) I don't remember the first Bush, though I seem to remember seeing some guy playing golf in TV and it was somehow related to 1992 election in US. I remember some of Bosnia and OKC. I remember Columbine and that other big school shooting - Jonesboro, was it? I remmber Princess Di's death. I generally remember everything from the Clinton impeachment on.

As for Finnish events, I don't have much memories of the Great Recession. What was a comparatively mild recession in US and elsewhere in early 90s was a searing affair in Finland. I do remember teachers on the leave and newscasters continually talking about levels of unemployment. I remember the 1994 presidential election and the 1995 EU vote. I remember Finland winning hockey gold in 1995 and the country going crazy for some time afterwards. I remember the Estonia disaster and pretty much everything from then onwards. I remember when Nokia still was known for it's rubber boots and tires.
    Last edited by Stefu; May 5, 2003, 07:49.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

I think my first memory of a major world event was the fall of the Berlin Wall. I didn't appreciate exactly why it was so important, but I remember watching the pictures on TV and I knew that something big was happening.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I remember the helicopters over the US embassy in the fall of Saigon. That must be the earliest.

Then loads of African conflicts. I was at the age where fact and fiction tend to get blurred, and after watching the "Planet of the Apes" TV series I was profoundly scared by news stories of "guerillas" armed with rocket launchers.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Election of Jimmy Carter- that was another. I was fascinated by his wrinkly face and massive grin.

Comment

I remember the great scandal of '89 but I doubt thatmeans anything to you.

I remember assembling a puzzle of the world map and thinking holy crap the USSR is large.

Comment

The earliest world event I remember is the Challenger Space Shuttle disarster. I must have been about 8 at the time.
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Was that the one where the old geezer who ran Greece (papandreou- something?) was photographed on a beach with a woman young enough to be his grand-daughter, fiddling with his bits?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                Was that the one where the old geezer who ran Greece (papandreou- something?) was photographed on a beach with a woman young enough to be his grand-daughter, fiddling with his bits?
                He married her too so she could keep fiddling.
                That's not a scandal of course.

It was about massive corruption between the Papandreou party and private corporations. So when the main opposition was voted in power they took many of the officials of the Papandreou's party in court. One of them even died of a heart attack in court defending himself (to the end you could say literally).

That happened in '89 and it is known as the "dirty '89".

Papandreou's party calls it dirty because they accused their opponents of "criminilizating political life".

The main opposition called it dirty because of the allegended (to keep the pretexes, yes there was corruption just as certaintly as the sun will rise tomorrow) corruption.

Top ministers (including finance) were taken to the Arios Pagos, the supreme court, and I remember watching the proceedings on TV.

I didn't understand anything but it was funny because the minister of finance kept givin lip to the supreme justice judge and he'd keep giving him penalties ect etc
                Last edited by Bereta_Eder; May 5, 2003, 08:00.

Comment

The first international incident that I remeber is the explosion of the challenger space shuttle. i was nine.
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I was 8 during the 1989 events. My most precise memory is Ceaucescu's trial, which I watched live, mainly because I'm from Romanian decent (half of my family fled the Romanian regime).

I was delighted at the sight of Ceacescu being executed after this farce trial. Really.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Chernobyl and the Berlin Wall, I was born in 1984.

The thing that I remember most about both of those was the atmosphere in my house, and my families reaction to it - I didn't understand what was really happening, and didn't really remember any of the details of the events. But seeing the same news images of these events some 16 years later was instantly reconisable to me.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The earliest historical event I remember is either the Challenger disaster or Chenobyl. Both happened about the same time IIRC. I was about 6.

I remember the UK "hurricane" of Oct '87. I also remember a media frenzied hurricane warning for Connecticut a couple of years before that. A quick web search puts that as 1985.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

born 1980.

I remember....

Berlin Wall falling. I was like-daaamn, I wish I was there to kick the crap outta that wall.

Tiananmen Square-I watched that man stand in front of that tank and thought "That guy has balls."

The USSR falls. I remember tanks rolling through Moscow and fighting in the streets. Boris Yeltsin called for a democratic election.

1st gulf war. I called Hussein "So-damn In-sane"

that's about it.
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I remember Sputnik's launch and Kennedy's election. I very vividly remember the Cuban missle crisis. At first I felt confident that our city was reasonably far away from anywhere that someone would want to bomb, then one of my brothers pointed out that there was a secret government bomb shelter designed to hold the US government nearby, and that the Soviets would probably lob everything they had at it. I had nightmares about an air raid being sounded. It was our school system's plan that walkers would be let out to walk home. In my nightmare I would start out to climb the hill to home, then looking over my shoulder notice a small black speck arcing through the sky towards the valley below. I would then start to run. As I looked back every so often the speck would come closer. Reaching the top of the hill and within sight of home I'd look up to clearly see a dark ovoid object falling from the sky, and then the world briefly enveloped in blinding white light before darkness enveloped everything. Then I'd wake up.
                            After the end of the cold war the government declassified informatioon about the secret Congressional bunker at White Sulfer Springs Va. Some secret if it was common knowledge among nearby school boys.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              After the end of the cold war the government declassified informatioon about the secret Congressional bunker at White Sulfer Springs Va. Some secret if it was common knowledge among nearby school boys.
                              As has been posted many times before:

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X