Tipping in hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping in hotels

What do you normally do, tipping wise, when you stay in a hotel?

Take the breakfast waiters for example. Do you tip them on your last day directly or when checking out give something to the receptionist for them? How much do you give them? Or do you not tip at all?

What about the maids?

What I really hate about American hotels are the people in red uniform who are there just to say "Have a nice day" and expect me to tip them for it.

Hey, I (or my company) already payed 250 $ for this room, why should I pay more?
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Australia. No tipping.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I generally stay in "business" type hotels when working. As breakfasts are generally self-service, I don't tip. I only tip waiters in evening meals.

I don't tip maids. If I don't see them, it never occurs to me.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Probably differs by country/culture. If you are going to make repeated stays there, it can be useful to tip heavily your first time.

Comment

If breakfast or dinner is a buffet, I don't tip, unless the waiter brings me something special (like a cocktail). then I leave a token tip of $1-2.

I tend to leave a tip for the maids at th end of the trip, usually $1/day.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I don't tip maids. If I don't see them, it never occurs to me.
              It's these people you should tip.. There the ones with the toughest job in the hotel and paid bottom dollar for it.
              -
              You call 2$ a token???!!!
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't tip in hotels. 'Course, I always stay in cheap hotels, where there really isn't anybody to tip.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'll tip the maids at the end of the stay. Around a couple of bucks a day. They are the ones that deserve/need it the most.

At buffet style meals, it depends on if anyone actually expends any energy on you. If someone really tries to assist, I'll leave a token tip, if not, nada.

Only very rarely tip the people at the front counter. Only exceptions if they were very busy taking lots of messages for me, trips to the lock boxes or getting a room upgraded for free. None of these happens often.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Only exceptions if they were very busy taking lots of messages for me
                    Isn't that there job...?
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What about the concierge who takes your bags to the room etc?

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Isn't that there job...?
                        No different then a waitress (just their job)
                        Maid (just their job)
                        In fact, everyone you tip, it's just their job.

RAH
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Rogan Josh
                          What about the concierge who takes your bags to the room etc?

Bag boys, a buck or two a bag.

Concierge, I only tip if he's actually useful. And then depends on what magic he could accomplish. I.e. dinner reservations, transportation reservations, special event tickets, vice fulfillment, etc. Anywhere between 5 bucks and 50 bucks.

RAH
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I tend to leave a tip for the maids at th end of the trip, usually $1/day.

That's the generally accepted amount.

If served for dinner, etc., I tip normally. Room service about 1/2 the normal amount.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

As it should come to no surprise, I agree with rah

At the end of a stay... a buck or two a day for the maid.
                              It might be more if I had asked for special service... or if the room was trashed. (rah, I left a ton of money for the maids that had to clean up the suite for the Wedding reception after party we threw for you)

Bag Boys... a buck or two a bag when they bring them up to my room, and again if I call and have them brought down when I leave.

Room Service... minimum 10%

Concierge... like rah says, it depends if I've asked them to do anything for me, and is based on the level of what I've asked and how well they deliver.

Self Serve Breakfast... 10% if they serve me drinks or perform some REAL service for me... otherwise, nothing.

The Front Desk... Never seen a reason to give them a dime... But, if they were ever to perform some service for me, I would leave an envelope with some money it addressed by name to the staff member that helped me.

Door man... a buck or two if I have them hail me a cab.

However... If I don't get the level of service I deserve, any of the above don't get anything... like if the doorman ignores me for a long time when I'm trying to get a cab
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X