Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    Let's not forget the atheists.

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Very good. I'd like to disagree with everyone who said the first one was the best and say that I liked the last two better, especially the final one, which made me cry at the end. I thought the religious themes were done well - integrated in so that it's not blatant propaganda but then at the end it makes you think a little. On the other hand, it's not like it's going to convince anyone to change religions - it seems to be presented as an interesting "what if" sort of thing, and it's a darned good one.

Azrael is one of my favorite characters in all of fiction, and the whole premise with the daemons is kind of interesting.
      "Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to hear me tell you how wrong you are."

Comment

Originally posted by Giant_Squid
        the whole premise with the daemons is kind of interesting.
        I'll certainly agree with that one. I was impressed with the concept of the daemons - I'd never read anything similar to that and it was very interesting.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
          I particularly liked Pullman's comment about how fantasy books shouldn't emphasize the otherworldliness of their settings. Of course, that's the whole point of fantasy as a genre; otherwise it's realistic fiction.
          Not sure I agree with that, because Tolkien made similar comments regarding The Hobbit vs LoTR, in which he said he wished he had written the Hobbit in the more realistic style of the Lord of the Rings, since he felt he was really talking down to children, and even his own children prefered the more realistic style.

RUN-ON SENTENCE!
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I like them, the first one the best. As for the anti-religious views, I figured the writer to be trolling - I mean, angry fundies bring attention bring sales. If he had just sold somewhat more, the mechanic would have probably kicked in and Philip Pullman could be a J. K. Rowling-level household name these days.

However, as a Finn, I can't be but amused about the male goose named Kaisa.
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
            X