Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the name of your country means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this one...

Sverige = Sve + rige = Realm of the Swedes, or words to that effect. Rige is cognate with Reich if that helps. In Old Swedish the name Svithjod (spelling varies) was also used, where thjod = people, and cognate with Deutsch. According to susning, Sweden is called Swiorice and Sweo-theod in Beowulf and Jordanes (500 AD) calls the people Suetidi.

Where Sve/Svi comes from is unclear, but it might be cognate with the Sanskrit reflexive pronoun sva (Latin: suus/sui, Swedish: sin/sig, German: sein/sich), meaning something like "one's own" or "oneself."

Hope someone got something outta this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
      Colombia was actually called the United States of Colombia in the middle of the 19th century.
      If you are talking about the country in Latin America you are wrong.

It was called the Republic of Gran Colombia if I remember correctly. Gran Colombia was formed by Ecuador, Colombia, Panama and I think Venezuela.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
        Belgium ...
        Land of the Belgae, a collection of Gallic tribes ...

The name is totally artificial though. It didn't exist until 1830.
        Is it an artificial country too? Should we partition it between Holland and France?

Comment

France.

Artificial name, direct legacy from the Frank invaders. "Franc" also means "free" is old French, but I think this meaning is centuries younger as the Frank invasion (about 1500 years ago).
          The first official occurence of the word France, IIRC, was when Hugues Capet was officially crowned "King of France" in ca 880.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by GP

Is it an artificial country too? Should we partition it between Holland and France?
            The French speaking Belgians are too poor to join France.
            The Dutch-speaking Belgians can only feel superior when they compare themselves to the French-speaking ones
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The Flemish got rich now and they're back with a vengeance against previous french-speaking domination by the Waloons

Many flemish want to separate even more, although they have already separated most of their affairs, including their educational system.

Also I'd have to disagree with danubis about Belgium since Julious Ceasar aleggendly said that from all the gaules the belgians were the braviest

edit about the name belgium sure though.
              Last edited by Bereta_Eder; May 5, 2003, 08:35.

Comment

what i meant with 'artificial' was that during the entire period after the fall of the roman empire until the foundation of our nation Belgium did not exist. And the belgae tribes homeland was actually more to the north of our country.

and spiffor, your country has invaded ours several times during the past millenium... and each time we sent your troops home... So we don't have to look to our southern countrymen to feel swell
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Erh Dannubis, a bit o' modesty wouldn't hurt... sure they invaded us numerous times, but our conto of victories isn't that big compared to theirs... okay there's 1302, but in 1304 they had Flanders back already

Btw the Belgae were Celts, Gauls.. perhaps but Gauls were the Celts on the northwest side of the Alps, I'm not sure if this is also applicable to the Belgae.. but if Caesar says so... no problem
                  Last edited by Traianvs; May 5, 2003, 09:13.
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Germany - land of the plague

After all the deaths from the bubonic plague in the 14th century it was called Germany because there were many germs there.

Indeed.

No - its true.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

No problem with the south hooking up to france and we always said, we would welcome Holland becoming part of the flemish
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        "Franc" also means "free" is old French
                        So you're saying that when Americans renamed french fries to freedom fries, they were actually just translating it properly?

Originally posted by paiktis22
                        since Julious Ceasar aleggendly said that from all the gaules the belgians were the braviest
                        He said bravest but he meant most barbaric

Edit: Yes, Trajanus, (according to Caesar) the Belgae were one of 3 classes of Gauls, the other two were Aquitani and 'regular' Gauls (the ones you mentioned).
                        Last edited by Locutus; May 5, 2003, 10:02.
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

So you're saying that when Americans renamed french fries to freedom fries, they were actually just translating it properly?
                          Now isn't that a classic case of irony?

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
                            what i meant with 'artificial' was that during the entire period after the fall of the roman empire until the foundation of our nation Belgium did not exist. And the belgae tribes homeland was actually more to the north of our country.
                            They lived in the North Sea?
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's so sad that my nationality is named after an Italian navigator.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                                It's so sad that my nationality is named after an Italian navigator.
                                Isn't there another therory too? Don't where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure of it.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X