Should Mars be Terraformed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Mars be Terraformed?

This is an off-shoot of the Red Mars thread.

I thnk it should be terraformed. A habitable Mars will act as a futuristic America, a way to get away from the social stagnation and the heavy hand of Capitalism. People on Earth will see martian prosperity and demand no less for themselves, just like Europe in the 1800's. If humanity doesn't expand, we will stagnate; history shows this out very well. The US became as stagnant as Europe when it's frontier closed.

Discuss.
    Yes, full terraforming
    67.19%
    Yes, partial terraforming (ecopoiesis)
    12.50%
    No
    12.50%
    Let the bannana choose!
    7.81%

All the needs here, but sink money into terraforming Mars.
    No.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There are plans to mine ore from Mars, completely automated and ready to put into implementation.

But it's not cost/output "correct" yet.

Too expensive.

But I was surprised that they have mande those plans and that they are ready.

Comment

I am all for terraforming Mars, but I don't share your enthusiasm for it, Odin. Obviosuly, the terraforming of Mars will occur only if big Earthling institutions will have an interest in the place. And they will attempt to make a capitalist rule there as it exists here.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

USA is only interested in Mars if we can hook up our Martian Oil Pipeline to Texas.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

biodomes are cheaper and sooner than terraforming
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Odin, post in the 'Red Mars' thread with your opinions!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                All the needs here, but sink money into terraforming Mars.
                No.
                Damn straight!

Why pour hundreds of billions of dollars into a sci-fi geek's wet dream for questionable gain when real progress could be made on real problems?
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Besides, the asteroid zone is much more easy to exploit

Comment

Oh, btw, I'm for partial terraforming. We should make the atmosphere think enough so we can breath the air and not die, but shouldn't change the basic character of the Martian terrain.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It just takes too much time to be even near of cost-effective.

Comment

That's why we throw Khan and his gang of steroid superhumans on there and then let them do it.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Change the air on Mars??
                          Jeez, Imran. Let's change the air here.
                          Again, stuff to do here, and piping oil to Texas ain't one of them.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I say no. Not until we have reached equality and acceptable living standards for the people of Earth. Then I´m all for it; I am, after all, somewhat of a sci-fi geek.
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

AFAIK, It would make no difference at all unless one can figure out how to restart Mars magnetic field. The Gamma radiation will kill anything living on the surface.

When one thinks about it for a second, the collapse of the magnetic field may have lead to the the dead world we see today. The radiation would have killed off life, which may have been necessary to maintain the atmosphere.

So, unless one can imagine radiation-resistant life, having an atmosphere will not get you very far.
                              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                              X