Making my new Computer at Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my new Computer at Home

Well after months of putting it off I finally decided to buy a New Computer the other day, and went for the Purchase.

I had a somewhat limited budget (around £500 i wanted to spend) ,but i managed to get myself an Athlon XP 2200 , 512 DDR , 60GB HD and plenty of other good features... coudnt get the flatscreen but did get a 17''.

This is in comparison to the old AMD K6-2 500mzh Computer, the one with a 4gb HD and 128 of Ram .

Still , all I've done in the last is surf the net, My computer 'looks' very plain and i havent really been able to appreciate the horsepower in it. Civ III ptw will soon be to the test when I can be bothered, but anyone have any idea of any cool gimmicks i can pick up that will really enhance the 'feel-good' factor?? Or perhaps a game which is very demanding which will help me appreciate the advantages of this PC over my old one...

Cheers
    Matt
    Up The Millers

Re: Making my new Computer at Home

Command and Conquer Generals.

Unreal Tournament 2003.

Windows XP.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

We create the world's most widely used benchmarks and performance tests including 3DMark, PCMark, Servermark, and VRMark. Get started now with our free downloads.

Try earlier versions aswell
      -
      Opening severall games at once(cm4/PTW), while brouwsing 'Polly and writing an e-mail while resizing a pic in photoshop...etc.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Just Installed CM4, thats my first New PC Present
        Having problems loading it atm... but thats ok since nothing is working in XP for me anyway.

Cheers for the ideas
        Matt
        Up The Millers

Comment

You could always D/L 3DMark and look at the big numbers your new system produces, or you couldv'e just put a new HD in your old system and saved yourself 450 quid! :O)

Comment

World War 2 online if you REALLY want to test your 3d/stability capabilities.

C&C generals for sure

If not either...and your feeling daring go get Doom3 Alpha that was leaked.

Comment

Render 3D animations.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Run Linux .
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Not compile Linux?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

hi ,

get one of these ne leasings from conpac or so , 50 USD / Euro a month , ....

or get an Emac have a nice day

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

World War 2 online? Why do you want him to buy a flop?

Wait till Doom 3 comes out if you really want to challenge your system.

Comment

note that he hasn't said anything about any 3D card being present.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I've been enjoying Grand Theft Auto 3 with my new computer.

You could go for some of the recent FPS games, too. MMO games are very graphically demanding aswell, but mainly just because there are so many people playing them.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I just mentioned ww2o cuz its pretty darn demanding on your system.

On second thought. Wait till Doom 3. Ive got the exact same setup just about except Ive got 2 40's in Raid mirror. IF you bought an Nforce2 make board disable your video :-). You will never run doom3 on those GPU's. Go get a seperate VGA.

Aye, also make sure if your mobo supports dual channel ddr.. Leave that Dimm 2 empty

Comment

Re: Re: Making my new Computer at Home

Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Windows XP.
                              XP isn't a problem for slow machines. I've been running it on a Celeron 400 with no problems at all. It's been much faster than 98 in fact. Of course I had to get more RAM for it, but other than that it's been fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X