Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help!

Help!

My computer hardly ever boots up anymore! It takes a bowl of goat blood and a virgin sacrifice to get it up adn running now.

Details for anyone that can help:

Problem 1)
    When the computer boots up, after the Windows ME loading screen, the desktop used to load. However, now the screen just stays black.

The computer isnt frozen, when i ctrl alt dlt in the message box it says the Msgsrv32 program is not responding, every time.

Problem 2)
    When i leave the computer idle for a long time, when i come back the computer is frozen, usually with my screen saver up.

I believe these two problems to be related, but im not sure.
    I've searched the internet for problem/solutions for the Msgsrv32 program, and ive learned a lot about it, but none of the problem/solutons yet seem to apply.

someone please help! The problem seems to be getting worse. Im afraid soon my computer may not even start up.

Kman
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Never use screensavers, modern monitors don't need them anymore and often are the cause of crashes.
    -
    Try restarting in save mode and try a "system restore", if that is not availlable, install ME over your current instalment to "freshes" it up.
    Best solution, upgrade to XP, I don't think I have had an hard crash(programs have crashed, but Windows stayed active) in almost 2 years (except when corel was installed, and when I had a HD faillure )
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I think I went through this a few years ago. After fighting with it for weeks, my solution was to backup/format/ and re-install.

If I had XP I'd install it.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

XP isnt a viable option at the moment, but i will try the other things.

Thank you very much.
        Additional help from anyone else would be further appreciated.
        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

ME bites. It causes me all sorts of headaches.

Msgsrv32 is something to do with MSN Messenger isn't it? Maybe if you can start up, load up MSN Messenger and disable the "Run this program when windows starts" on Tools>Options>General it might get rid of that problem. No guarantees though. Someone correct me if MSGSRV32 info is wrong...

Edit: spelling, ironically it was 'correct' spelt incorrectly
          Last edited by ceroomaster; May 3, 2003, 17:27.
          -Sir T

Comment

Note that upgrading to XP may not be the solution to problem 1. I have XP and experience the same problem.
            "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
            "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Never use screensavers, modern monitors don't need them anymore and often are the cause of crashes.
              What was the poriginal point to screensavers, anyway? Ive always wondered this, and just assumed it was for saving power or somethn.

Comment

Msgsrv32 is something to do with MSN Messenger isn't it?
                It may do this, but from what Ive read, it is aprogram that is always running in the background, performing some of Windows's routine functions, like error alerts and network log ins and stuff. Ive looked into some of these areas, and cant find anywhere that a problem may be arrising.

Im hesetant to reinstall windows, as i did it only a month ago after two years of owning the system. I had to for many reasons that were solved after reinstalling. My computer was great up until this problem seemed to come out of no where earlier this week.

Comment

Try Windows 2000 Professional.. it runs smoothly for me...

Anyways my monitor goes automatically blank even after a screensaver is on after fifteen minutes because of industrial guidelines.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

K-man, try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306616

Comment

Reformat and install from scratch.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerman

What was the poriginal point to screensavers, anyway? Ive always wondered this, and just assumed it was for saving power or somethn.
                        They were designed primarily for buiness computers that display the same screen on the monitor for long periods of time. When that happens, that particular image gets burned permanently into the phospors inside the tube. Those are the substances that allow an image to be displayed on a monitor. So changing to another screen would leave a trace of the old image on the monitor and make it difficult to see anything else clearly.

Now though, with the power management options that are available, the monitor will simply turn itself off, making screen savers obsolete.

Except for acid heads that like trippng to the patterns.

Comment

Same under win98. Every time I booted msqrv32 would crash. The solution was indeed a total format C: and reinstall of windows. Back up anything useful..

"What was the poriginal point to screensavers, anyway? Ive always wondered this, and just assumed it was for saving power or somethn"

It is for power save...

FYi, on newer breads of ATI and Nvidia video cards screensaver loops have actually DESTROYED the
                          card. The geforce FX especially is plagued with this problem.

Comment

Windows ME was possibly the worst OS ever made.

Comment

Working...
                            X