Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that film

Hello everybody.

I saw a good film a few days back but didn't get the title. I'm interested in renting it again to watch with my brother, but without the title this is going to be tough. I was hoping that somebody out there might have seen it and be able to tell me what it's called.

It's a French comedy, subbed in English, and follows a pair of travellers through France. These two guys meet up - one's a businessman and the other's a hitchhiker who hijacks his car. Later, they become pals (after the businessman gets fired for letting his car get stolen) and they travel throughout France's countryside, passing three weeks for a lady's love.

One of the memorable escapades they get up to include a plan to help the shorter guy get hooked up with a girl in a town. To do this, they go from door to door, with phoney questionnaires, asking women what they like in a man, until they finally find a woman who seems to fit the bill.

The film ends with one of them settled down at a house with a divorcee and her many children, and the other dumped by the lady who started the whole film off in the first place.

I think it may have featured at Cannes recently. It's a fairly recent film - I'd say no older than 2 or 3 years, but I can't find the name of it anywhere.

Many thanks if you can help me!
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Hmmm, I don't know its name but it sounds like a good movie.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I haven't seen the movie, but I think you are referring to Western. I've just read the synopsis, and it matches

Western, from manuel Poirier, with Sergi Lopez, Sacha Bourdo
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Alinestra : does it look like it ?
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Thanks for the link Spiffor!
          I'll see if i can find it at the local video store. It sounds like a good film.
          What?

Comment

All right! Thanks a lot Spiffor! That sounds very close to what I'm after!

I think maybe we should open a forum called "Movie Helpdesk" or something. I'm always forgetting movie titles and it would be nice to have a designated area where people could ask people in the know about these lost pieces of information.

Another thing I always forget titles to are songs! I'll have a tune floating through my head, or maybe a few disembodied lyrics, and I'll have no luck in thinking of the title.

I understand that tunes may be hard to ask people about (unless you could make a wav file of yourself humming it and sending it) but lyrics should be easier to deal with.

Sadly most of the online lyrics searches require you to know the title, not vice versa. The ones I've found that do tell you titles from lyrical information are all broken
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
              Thanks for the link Spiffor!
              I'll see if i can find it at the local video store. It sounds like a good film.
              While your at there, rent a copy of "le diner des cons", funiest movie ever.
              An absolute cracker :
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I second that

The Dinner Game is the English name

Comment

While we at it, does somebody know this movie:

It's about a father and his daughter who lives alone. The mother died some time ago, and the mothers father tries everything he can, to get the legal rights to this daugther...

While the main point of this story is: The father owns a motel, and one day he rents it to some mysterious people, who (which they later finds out) comes from the future as tourists, who wants to witnis a great disaster soon to come...

I dont' know how old this movie is, but I believe it's from late 80 - start 90

Does anyone have a clue?
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Hmm... nobody who has a clue about the movie I'm looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      I second that

The Dinner Game is the English name
                      Hysterical. "Mon Oncle" is another classic, as is the original "La Cage aux Folles."

"Come Undone" is a good gay-themed film, actually. Far superior than most of the angsty gay-themed crap that comes out all the time. It's a drama, though.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

hi ,

Queen , there is a website somewhere that has all the movies of cannes from the start in detail with pics and all , .... sorry dont have time to look for the link

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                          Hmm... nobody who has a clue about the movie I'm looking for?
                          I believe you mean the film made of the short story/novella 'Vintage Season'. It starred Jeff Daniels, but I can't remember the name of the film. It was unusually faithful to the original in most respects, except it was given the obligatory happy ending, thus letting down the whole thrust of the ironic title...
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Seaching for his movies on imdb.com to see if I can find a movie that fits...

Comment

Thx for the hint, I believe I found it... this is the movie I think it is...

Comment

Working...
                              X