Israel kills 10 Palestinians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel kills 10 Palestinians

I asked how many they would kill, I guess I have been answered.

Why is it that they always kill more than the suicide bomber?

Israeli Troops Kill 10 Palestinians
    12 minutes ago

By DAN PERRY, Associated Press Writer

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Just hours after international mediators presented Israel and the Palestinians with a "road map" to peace, Israeli troops stormed a militant stronghold in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites) early Thursday. Eight Palestinians were killed in an ensuing gunfight, including two boys aged 2 and 13.

AP Photo

AP Photo
    Slideshow: Mideast Conflict

EU, Mideast Officials Set to Work on 'Road Map'
    (AP Video)

It was the most intense gunbattle in Gaza in 31 months of fighting. Separately, two Palestinians were killed in an exchange of fire with soldiers in the West Bank.

The fighting came as Israeli and Palestinian leaders voiced conflicting interpretations of the long-awaited "road map" peace plan, the latest attempt by international mediators to end the violence.

Diplomats representing the so-called Quartet of Mideast mediators — the United States, European Union (news - web sites), United Nations (news - web sites) and Russia — presented the peace plan to Israeli and Palestinian leaders on Wednesday after Mahmoud Abbas took office as the first Palestinian prime minister.

The target of the raid was the home of Yousef Abu Hein, a top Hamas fugitive, in the Shijaiyah neighborhood in Gaza City. The Israeli military said that troops came under heavy fire and eight soldiers were wounded.

Intense fighting continued into the afternoon. Palestinians were armed with assault rifles and anti-tank missiles, and some rigged wiring to large canisters that appeared to hold explosives.

Dr. Fadel Abu Hein, a prominent child psychologist and a brother of the wanted man, said his four-story apartment building came under intense fire.

"We are sitting in full darkness. Children are screaming. We are trying to calm them down, but bullets are coming from all directions," he said.

After daybreak, hundreds of bystanders thronged the area of battle. An AP reporter saw two boys, ages 12 and 14, hit by Israeli fire as they tried to run away from a burst of shooting. The 14-year-old was struck by a bullet in the neck, and doctors later said he was paralyzed from the neck down.

Among those killed were four gunmen, two adult civilians, including a mentally handicapped man, and two boys, ages two and 13, doctors said. Forty Palestinians were wounded, including 12 who were in critical condition.

Two-year-old Amer Ayad was hit by a bullet to the head while he was near a window in his home, said his father Ahmed, a blacksmith. "Is this the new peace President Bush (news - web sites) promised?" Ayad said. "They wrote the answer using the blood of my son."

The incursion came a day after Hamas and another Palestinian group claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in a Tel Aviv pub. The blast killed three bystanders and wounded 55 others. It was not clear whether the Israeli incursion was in response to the bombing.

The fighting underscored the difficulties in implementing the road map. Yet, there is some hope that the plan will succeed in ending the fighting where others have failed.

It is supported by a rare global consensus that neither of the warring sides wants to rebuff. Also, it comes at a time when U.S. clout in the Middle East is at a high point in the wake of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s ouster in Iraq (news - web sites).

"For the first time in a very long time, Israel and the international community have a partner to go back to the table with," U.N. envoy Terje Roed-Larsen told The Associated Press after meeting Abbas. "We have, hopefully, a peace process going."

The two sides started the process at odds. Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites)'s office issued a statement saying he had received the document "for the purpose of formulating comments on the wording." Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath, in contrast, called for "implementing the road map immediately."

Palestinian leaders accused Israel of trying to sabotage the new peace plan. The Gaza raid was meant to "create more provocation, to push for more Palestinian reaction to the Israeli aggression," Mohammed Dahlan, a senior security official, said Thursday, after the first Cabinet meeting chaired by Abbas.

Acting U.S. consul-general Jeff Feltman said "the road map is a guideline, it's not a sacred text or treaty." Larsen also said implementation would be negotiated, and a diplomatic source said the United States might dispatch an envoy for the task.

The three-year outline starts with a Palestinian crackdown on terror groups and an Israeli freeze on Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, combined with a "progressive" Israeli pullout from the autonomous Palestinian zones its troops have reoccupied during the current round of fighting.

Both governments say they want to end violence that has killed 2,287 people on the Palestinian side and 763 people on the Israeli side since September 2000. But past plans have failed.

Israel's most important objection is to the implication that it must carry out its part at the same time as the expected Palestinian crackdown on militants, instead of making an end to all violence as a condition for Israeli steps.

In a speech Tuesday, Abbas pledged to collect illegally held weapons, and condemned terrorism "in all its forms."

But it's a monumental task for his battered Palestinian Authority (news - web sites). And the militants' determination to fight on was underscored by Wednesday's suicide bombing hours before Abbas was sworn in.

The Tel Aviv attack was claimed jointly by Hamas and the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, linked to his own Fatah (news - web sites) movement but splintered into rogue gangs. A group spokesman said the bombing was a message that "nobody can disarm the resistance movements without a political solution."

Comment

Ahh, but this time they weren't trying to kill a suicide bomber, they were trying to kill a peace plan...
      Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

because Israel is operating with a force far larger than any suicide bombers? It's obvious.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

'Why is it that they always kill more than the suicide bomber?'

because maybe one day they hope these people will figure out that suicide bombers are not the way to solve this. hopefully they'll be someone left when they figure that out. talk about a bunch of brainwashed people.

Comment

Ming? I think this is grounds for a banning.

Comment

when you strap explosives to your body and blow yourself up on innocent people you're the ***ing definition of brainwashed.
              CSPA

Comment

it seems like one would not have to spell it out like above... but yes.

you dont see too many 40 year old suicide bombers. hmmm???? how come we dont see any 'leaders' of this movement strap on these belts??? freakin saddam needed training.

Comment

Re: Israel kills 10 Palestinians

Originally posted by paiktis22

I asked how many they would kill, I guess I have been answered.

Because suicide bombing is ineffective.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Among those killed were four gunmen, two adult civilians, including a mentally handicapped man, and two boys, ages two and 13, doctors said. Forty Palestinians were wounded, including 12 who were in critical condition

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that ?
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

'Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that ? '

no - but those who agree with you are few.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        Among those killed were four gunmen, two adult civilians, including a mentally handicapped man, and two boys, ages two and 13, doctors said. Forty Palestinians were wounded, including 12 who were in critical condition

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that ?
                        No Spiffor, your not. Unfortunately, it will take both sides realizing that killing each other is not the way to learn to live together.

Hamas and other terrorist organizations must come to understand that their actions cannot go without price. Sadly, it is at times a high one.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                          No Spiffor, your not. Unfortunately, it will take both sides realizing that killing each other is not the way to learn to live together.

Absolutely. I have no problems with the gunmen being killed and the leader's house being attacked. But I think anybody should be as mad as during the terract when it comes to the kids and to the mentally handicapped, who were completely innocent in the matter

Hamas and other terrorist organizations must come to understand that their actions cannot go without price. Sadly, it is at times a high one.

And the Israeli military has to understand it must be cautious when their guns are blazing If not there will be a price for Israeli innocents too.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

And the Israeli military has to understand it must be cautious when their guns are blazing If not there will be a price for Israeli innocents too.
                            And thus the cycle continues...
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the gunmen were fair targets. But Israel's ratio of fair targets to innocent civilians isn't very good (of course, this could be at least partially the fault of the Hamas gunmen).
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X