No announcement yet.

Terrorism is a legitimate form of warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think any nation has that on the books.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Actually, many do.

You plot to carry out a crime (by our books) anywhere in the world, you get locked up. That's in Canada. I suspect that many nations have similar statutes. However, I'm not a lawyer and stand ready to be corrected.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

i'm sorry, i misread it...or did you change it? I don't know...i thought it was asking if any nations had laws that supported terrorism.
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I did edit it quickly. The against was always there though.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The government of the US and coalition countries avoided civilian casualties in Iraq at tremendous cost. Terrorists on the other hand target civilians. You point out that terrorists don't have the ability to confront our power on an equal basis and so terrorism becomes a legitamate form of warfare.

If a nation or political or religious system ever, through atrocities, convinces the public of, say, the US to operatate on such a basis...

Anyway, the society which enables such a war on innocents should consider the abyss.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

the society which enables such a war on innocents should consider the abyss.

You mean like the US in WW2 (Dresden, Nagasaki, Hiroshima)
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Awareness is different now Imran, as you know. Also, don't forget London. I'm not taking the side of those who bombed Dresden, but I understand them. It was total war, as the people of that time understand it. Now its something different entirely, so people recoil from it more in this time.

Comment

Terrorism is NOT war. Terrorism is armed, private combat. WAR encompasses more than just combat...it contains economic sanctions, diplomatic procedures, yadayadayada.

Terrorism is armed conflict that borders on the definition of "atrocity".
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

There are no legitimate forms of warfare!

Sorry, but I think combat now that Nuclear warefare can happen no war is justified!
                    Play the Demo Games!!
                    Running for Foreign Minister in the 3rd Civ2 Single Human Play game!!
                    Vote for the experience, Vote for me!!

Comment

I'm not taking the side of those who bombed Dresden, but I understand them.

So why can you not understand those that undertake in terrorism? That was the purpose of Diss's thread. This isn't different. In fact, it is very similar.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        the society which enables such a war on innocents should consider the abyss.

You mean like the US in WW2 (Dresden, Nagasaki, Hiroshima)
                        There was a slight difference. The bombers came in shapes that could be recognised and combated. They followed similar excesses from the other side. It was a situation that both sides found themselves escalating in.

To introduce Dresden as an excuse for the acts of the terrorists is to open the door to the carpet bombing and fire bombing of the home towns of the suicide bombers. Is that a good idea?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          To introduce Dresden as an excuse for the acts of the terrorists is to open the door to the carpet bombing and fire bombing of the home towns of the suicide bombers. Is that a good idea?

if all the arabs were dead, we wouldn't be in this mess, now would we?

stupid politics
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It may be. It depends on the circumstances. Right now, naw it ain't a good idea. We have much more power than they do and there are easier ways out.

Comment

Nuclear "Warfare" is an atrocity.
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Imran, because in those times there was no force in human hands that could end all life on Earth. That changes everything.

Also, Dresden followed London, the allies didn't start the war, niether did the Brits. So anything that shortened it was ok, to those that waged it. Only in the aftermath was Dresden considered wrong, unarmed.

Nagasaki built fighters, Hiroshima, I don't recall, something though. At any rate the Japanese should not have expected quarter. Total warriors, waging a total war.

The US and Britain didn't start the war, so anything that facilitated its end was considered productive.

Regarding terrorism, it's war on innocent people. I understand that. It's a power play on the part of aggressors. Those that take part in such tactics play with oblivion. If the US were to ever engage in Jihad one day, there would be no day 2 for our enemies.

Comment

Working...
                                X