Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why?

I've noticed an ENORMOUS amount of mudslinging on these boards. In three days, I'm already fed up with it. It wastes time, and achieves nothing.

Think about it. If you insult someone, are you going to change his/her mind? Are you going to change someone else's mind? All you have done is created a little more spite between you and that person. It's counterproductive. There are culprits on both sides of the line - conservatives and liberals are both guilty. Now, DON'T name names in this thread. That defeats the entire purpose. Hopefully, people will stop, and I don't have to spend half my time wading through insults to look at people's arguments.

It's all in good fun d1ckhead.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I agree with you completely. People do it because they don't think. They allow their emotions to control their actions and do not consider the consequences in a rational manner.

Or, they have the specific intention of harming other people as a sort of retribution. Punishment is absolutely ingrained in our culture, simple because we've been doing it for so long. People don't try to actually work out solutions, they'd much rather punish someone because in the short term, it has beneficial effects.

I never throw insults at people, never call people names, except in very rare circumstances when someone has said something obnoxiously rude and offensive, and even then I try to compose myself before speaking.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
        It's all in good fun d1ckhead.
        You were warned... see ya in a week.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I know that comment was a joke, but I'll respond to it anyway

No it isn't. Either that or I'm incredibly stupid. I think it's the former.

EDIT: this is responding to Ted's post. Maybe it WASN'T a joke...

Comment

I wasn't aware of personal insults or attacks.

I think debating with someone because of their idea's or beliefs is 100% ok, but when it gets down to personal attacks-"Don't make me laugh, you're so blahblahblah"-then that's wrong.

Questioning and debating someone because of what they said makes ppl think and analyze their idea's, but personal attacks are just dumb.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I get so annoyed when I see "evil american aggression", "illegal wars" and all this other garbage. Just really annoyed. I almost want to put my fist into the wall. But I control my temper.. and just shake it off as another baseless insult against the US. I just wanna ring somebody's neck for their arrogance... I came close to doing that in a heated discussion in school because somebody had no understanding of the word "reality".

Sorry for being so condescending, but I am speaking directly what is on my heart and mind. I am incredibly angry at several people here.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Questioning and debating someone because of what they said makes ppl think and analyze their idea's, but personal attacks are just dumb.
                I know what you mean, but that's just hilarious if you look at it the right way

Seriously, though, I HAVE seen a lot of it on the board, unfortunately.

Responding to Fez:

That may be so, but you should calm down. Your goal is to convince them, correct? The best way to convince them is to demonstrate calmy that you are right, without attacking them. If you attack them, all you do is make enemies. You achieve the opposite of what you wanted.

Comment

Well......I don't know what to say. People gotta get their act together....that, and grow the **** up.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Jeez, he got banned for d1ckhead??

"Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

And other people are equally annoyed at the misperception of communism, the idea that Islam is a "religion of violence" and things like that Fez. You really have to look at things from both viewpoints. It helps to understand the person with whom you are having a discussion. And if you understand them, you won't be as angry with them, and will be less likely to throw stupid insults at them.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                        That may be so, but you should calm down. Your goal is to convince them, correct? The best way to convince them is to demonstrate calmy that you are right, without attacking them. If you attack them, all you do is make enemies. You achieve the opposite of what you wanted.
                        Convince them? That is like moving a camel that doesn't want to move. Don't try it. Their posts are so.. ugh... I am tired of it... I don't even want to bother anymore. It is the same old rhetoric.. the same old baseless fanaticism... sick and tired of it.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Fez, if you aren't trying to convince them, you must be here just to rant. That's kinda annoying to those of us who like to discuss things and have debates.

Comment

Oh I try... but it is never to any avail. They are hopeless. I am gonna move onto something else now.. politics is a no way.

Comment

So angry, damn that rap music!

Comment

Working...
                              X