Asperger's Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asperger's Syndrome

I just wondered how many other high-functioning autistics there are on this board, if any, besides me. It's nothing to be ashamed of, blahblahblah....c'mon now; socially hopeless, neurotic polypeople unite!

Er, psychologically diagnosed socially hopeless neurotic polypeople, that is. Not counting people who are just that way naturally.

Yes
    29.63%
    No
    33.33%
    What the hell is that?
    33.33%
    Bananabananabanana
    3.70%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Why should we be ashamed, Tom Jefferson had Aperger's it is thought. My social skills suck, so I became I am a science wiz. My brain is like a Computer with a 100Gb Hard Drive and a 50MHz CPU.

Comment

Don't forget Bill Gates, either. At least, I recall reading something to that effect.
      1011 1100

Comment

I know a few people with it (I'm in computer science, as I understand it it's quite a popular field for people with Asperger's), and they all seem nice enough and certainly smart enough and exceptional listeners.

When were you guys diagnosed, if you don't mind me asking?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I was 15.

Comment

Can anyone please explain what the asperger syndrom is, plz ?
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I find this page explains it well technically, and also has posts by people who have it explaining what it's like: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=618071
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I was diagnosed circa fifth grade, I think; nearly a decade ago. I'm an extremely mild case.
                1011 1100

Comment

While I've been diagnosed with having Asperger's Syndrome, to my mind, it seems that it has become the new buzz word after ADD for society to label people who don't fit in with society. In other words, because we don't really fit in, they assume there must be something wrong with us, and so apply this label to us. Rather pathetic, isn't it?
                  Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic
                    While I've been diagnosed with having Asperger's Syndrome, to my mind, it seems that it has become the new buzz word after ADD for society to label people who don't fit in with society. In other words, because we don't really fit in, they assume there must be something wrong with us, and so apply this label to us. Rather pathetic, isn't it?
                    Well, that is the deffinition of asperfer's - that you don't act the same way as most people, don't know how to act socially, or just don't fit in. Yes, I've been diagnosed with it.

A person who can't have atleast some sort of syndrome or disorder applied to them would be a very boring person indeed.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      When were you guys diagnosed, if you don't mind me asking?
                      When I was 14, after I stoped going to high school and got shoved around to all sorts of social workers and physciatrists. It took them a hell of alot of apointments and interviews to figure out I was a social misfit.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Interesting. So let me ask this question to the Aspies, when you were say 2-4 years old did you have a tendency to do as you were told? This may have been percieved as precociousness or retardation depending on the viewpoint of the observer.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Actually, I've always done my own thing. It's a bad habit of mine to respond to undesirable orders by obeying the letter of the law. That's why Dr. Attwood calls it "Frank Sinatra Syndrome." You do it your way.
                          You guys *have* read Attwood, right?
                          On the other hand, Asperger's does give one a very legalistic worldview, of valuing obedience to rules over personal feelings. Who knows?
                          AS may very well be overly misdiagnosed, like ADD, but that doesn't mean it does not exist. There are definite symptoms, strengths and traits that hold true for diagnosed Aspies in general. I KNOW I'm an aspie.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Ah, you've all got Asperger's syndrome! That explains why Poly people are so ****ing dull.
                            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

For some reason I doubt Zylka or loinburger have it.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X