Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the most powerful private citizen in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the most powerful private citizen in the world?

I was just thinking about this, but couldn't come up with a really good answer.

By private citizen, I mean someone who doesn't head up a political or other government office, no law enforcement/intelligence agency, no royalty, no military and no religious group (ie: the Pope, or any official of any church).

I figure it's got to be the head of some large corporation, but it would also need to be someone with considerable influence on politicians and/or someone who has a good deal of actual control over their corporation (eg: owns a significant percentage of the shares, is rarely questioned by the board on corporate decisions, etc.).

People that come to mind for me would be Jack Welsh (ok, not any more), perhaps Warren Buffet (considerable influence on investors, owns significant chunks of large companies), Ted Turner (again, not so much anymore, but had a significant influence through media control), Rupert Murdoch (~shudder~ but for the same reasons as Turner).

Any thoughts?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Money is power and Bill Gates is the world's richest man.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah.. when Gates talks, stocks goes up or down. Now that's power.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The Grandmaster of the Freemasons, of course
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

No it is Mr Walton - the richest at the moment me thinks
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I don't think it is Bill Gates at all. He doesn't move stocks much - if ever, and most of his $ is tied up in MS shares, so he doesn't swing cash around to that level.

A guy that can move markets though is George Soros - aka Saras - but he keeps a lower profile than he used to.
            Be the bid!

Comment

Bud Selig
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                The Grandmaster of the Freemasons, of course
                Perhaps the Illustrious Master of the Scottish Rite??
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Sam Walton (the Wal-Mart guy) has been dead for years--his fortune was split up among his family.

Rupert Murdoch sounds good to me--he has a lot of influence from his media empire.

Comment

Would Bill Clinton count, I doubt anyone listens to him, but is he a private citizen now? What about Jimmy Carter?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

MarkG.
                      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

your limitations are somewhat arbitrary

if you don't see any difference between the Pope and George Bush, than I don't see why you see Bill Gates as not exactly the same as them (a position of leadership in a large social group, just becuase Bill Gates has Microsoft and the Pope has the catholics does not mean that it is not the same thing)

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Barbara Bush. She's the only person who can tell the Prez. to wipe his shoes before he enters the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999
                            Sam Walton (the Wal-Mart guy) has been dead for years--his fortune was split up among his family.

Rupert Murdoch sounds good to me--he has a lot of influence from his media empire.
                            I think it's Robson walton, his son presumably who took over most of it??? but maybe not.. I think it was inthis years Times 2003 richlist
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              your limitations are somewhat arbitrary

if you don't see any difference between the Pope and George Bush, than I don't see why you see Bill Gates as not exactly the same as them (a position of leadership in a large social group, just becuase Bill Gates has Microsoft and the Pope has the catholics does not mean that it is not the same thing)

Jon Miller
                              I don't think they're arbitrary at all. Both the Pope and Bush, to use your examples, have been elected via some means by lesser people and have limitations on what they can do based on their office (and not just national laws). Bill Gates co-founded Microsoft, no one elected him leader, he didn't seize power within the company and his power is entirely self made.

Put another way, Bush and the Pope are powerful because of their office, not because of individual actions (which, granted, helped them get their). If Bush wasn't elected President, he'd only be as powerful as the office of the governor of Texas is, which he also had to be elected to. Remember also that Bush very nearly wasn't elected president - where would he be then?
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X