Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think You Had A Bad Day? Abilene Hero Behind Bars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think You Had A Bad Day? Abilene Hero Behind Bars.

ABILENE, Texas, 8:02 a.m. CDT April 29, 2003 - From jail, Chris Leija, 22, says he wants everyone to remember him for the good he did and not the bad in his past.

At 3 a.m. Sunday morning, an Abilene apartment building erupted in flames.
    "I just thought, 'Let me see if I can do anything to help,'" Leija said.

He ran straight into the fire and returned with a child. Emergency crews couldn't stop him.

"I turned back and I heard the police officers and firefighters telling me, 'Don't go back, come back.' But I had to get two more kids that I left in there."

And he did. The story was broadcast nationwide, but among those watching was a sheriff's deputy who knew Leija was a wanted man. He was on four-years probation for a burglary last year and he failed to meet his parole officer last month.

"I learned my mistakes for what I did and that ain't me," Leija said. "I just want the community to look at me as a good person for what I did." The sheriff's lieutenant responsible for his arrest says Leija is still a hero, but he needs to be more responsible in his personal life.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

That's a *****, isn't it? I heard about that on NPR on the way to work this morning.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I was really curious who, if any, had heard this.
      I know, he was supposed to meet for appointment.
      Still, handcuffing and taking to jail...seems a little unappreciative, all things considered.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

you cant go around beanding the laws though, even where it seems justified.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I'm just saying
          1) the guy had a bad day, and also
          2) that other options were available besides handcuffing and taking into custody.

And SOME people call ME ultra-conservative?

Comment

it says he missed his parole last month, it's not like saving the kids made him miss it.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

I'm sure they'll cut him some slack if he agrees to stick to the program in the future.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

what did he do anyway? he could be a child rapist for all you know, and wanted to save the fresh ones.

Comment

Yeah, the parole officer isn't going to want to be seen as the guy who sent a hero to prison.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                    what did he do anyway? he could be a child rapist for all you know, and wanted to save the fresh ones.
                    Yeah, he saved them just so he could molest them in front of all the fire men and police. His original charge was burglary. A bit of a stretch to child molester.

RAH
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Burglary, like the article said.

Comment

That's about the worst thing I've ever heard anyone say on this forum.

Only feebs vote.

Comment

heheh ubercrux wins the stupidest statement of the week award.

bit of a dilemma for the authorities, yes he's a hero but he did break his probation. handcuffing does seem a little OTT tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Burglary, like the article said.
                            Here's a true funny. A newspaper once printed this retraction:

"We would like to correct a mistake in Tuesday's Court pages of the ****. Mr *** ***** of ******* was in fact convicted of burglary, not buggery as previously stated."

Man, that poor guy....
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I was born in Abilene.

Abilene. Abilene.
                              Prettiest town, that I've ever seen.
                              People there don't treat you mean,
                              in Abilene, my Abilene.

Abilene, even though they bust heroes , is much more "Texas" than Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                              X