No announcement yet.

earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida could just pour into the Gulf like salt out of a shaker with the lid removed - so there is always that hope!
    Be the bid!

Comment

The R scale isn't a sufficient indicator for the violence of an earthquake. Two earthquakes with the same R scale can be completely different in their violence at the surface.

Do you remember the murderous earthquake of Cairo ? There was an exactly as strong Earthquake in Maastricht shortly after, which was nearly harmless. The different natures of the ground explained why the violences were so different.

My highschool geology teacher explained the difference with this example :
      He took one leaf of paper in one hand and punched it with the other. As expected, the leaf of paper feeled the punch dearly, and shook as hell.
      He then took a whole pile of paper and punched it with exactly the same strength. The pile of paper hardly shook.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
        I felt it in middle Tennessee. Kind of rare for this area.
        I'm in west Nashville, and I didn't notice it. Of course, I can sleep through pretty much anything.

Other people in the house did feel it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny

I'm in west Nashville, and I didn't notice it. Of course, I can sleep through pretty much anything.

Other people in the house did feel it, though.
          Vandy?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

edit: wife went to Vandy by the by...

speaking of shake amplification, this pic show why SF is not the best place to be to ride the rollers:
            Attached Files
            Be the bid!

Comment

Originally posted by Sten Sture
              edit: wife went to Vandy by the by...

speaking of shake amplification, this pic show why SF is not the best place to be to ride the rollers:
              Yeah, the areas built on mud will get it hard. My cousins live at the top of a rock hill in Redwood City, so they would be fine.

Comment

Bedrock to the west, landfill to the east - what would you choose??
                Attached Files
                Be the bid!

Comment

The most potentially damaging part of an earthquake is if the shaking becomes so violent that the ground undergoes “liquefaction”. Liquefaction is where the sediments get shaken so bad that they end up getting suspending in the ground water much the way fat is suspended in a glass of milk. Liquefaction is most likely to occur in a large sediment basin which has a hard rock basement material because this sort of configuration reflects the motion waves back into the effected area the same way a magnifying glass concentrates light.. The energy waves bounce around and reflect off of the hard rock basement and the result is the water in the sediments is shock so violently that the sediments actually get suspended in the water and the ground will flow like a liquid. Because the ground is behaving like a liquid the buildings built on top of the unlithofied sediments will actually partially sink into the ground and/or fall over. Even large skyscrapers and elevated freeways which have been made "earthquake safe" can not be made safe against sever liquefaction.

So is this just academic or is some part of the world actually have geology like this? As a matter of fact the LA basin has exactly this type of geology. Remember that the next time you’re driving down the Hollywood freeway.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I thought that was you humping GP.

Rock the house yall.

thanks
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The New Madrid Fault has given me a hypothesis that in a few million years North COULD split in half. It could form a full-blown rift valley, like in Africa. There was a show a the Discovery Channel about it a while back, and I have wondered since if it may be the beginnings of a new plate boundary.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                        Vandy?
                        No, further west, over in Cheatham County.

Comment

Working...
                        X