Help! I have a friend who is also a fanfiction addict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I have a friend who is also a fanfiction addict

Hello...I have a simple question, and if it were possible, I'd like a simple answer.

How do I explain to a friend of mine, who unfortunately is also an insufferable fanfiction addict, the stigma that surrounds, envelopes, and englufs fanfiction? How do I explain that this stigma of fanfiction turns only fairly poor (and obsessive) work by people who have too much time on their hands into crap?

(Sorry if any of you out there are fanfiction nuts...I suggest a rehabilitation program. )

I must find some way to do this, because she always manages to bring it up somehow. (Tell me all the ways around the most common debating tricks too. She likes to twist my words.)

Thanks in advance!
    No
    11.11%
    Just a little bit
    16.67%
    I loathe it!
    27.78%
    This poll is biased
    44.44%
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Fanfiction = Developing your own Linux distro

Sorry he is beyond help

There is nothing else we can do for him
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I could never write fanfiction. I just don't have the patience for it. But I occasionally read exceptionally well-written ones, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

what! no banana option?
        Attached Files
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Re: Help! I have a friend who is also a fanfiction addict

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          Hello...I have a simple question, and if it were possible, I'd like a simple answer.

How do I explain to a friend of mine, who unfortunately is also an insufferable fanfiction addict, the stigma that surrounds, envelopes, and englufs fanfiction? How do I explain that this stigma of fanfiction turns only fairly poor (and obsessive) work by people who have too much time on their hands into crap?

(Sorry if any of you out there are fanfiction nuts...I suggest a rehabilitation program. )

I must find some way to do this, because she always manages to bring it up somehow. (Tell me all the ways around the most common debating tricks too. She likes to twist my words.)

Thanks in advance!
          keep spilling your drink on her until she stops
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Not fair I write fanfiction.
            *pouts*
            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Take her to a science fiction convention, ask her "do you really want to be associated with this?"

Comment

What does it matter? Women can't write anything of literary value anyway, so let them write fan fiction... that just my opinion... at least that way they don't have to worry about character development, subplots, or anything for that matter...

Heck, if you want her to stop, show her my post and challenge her to write something of worth. I doubt she can do it, since no woman ever has.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Is she hot?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

/me casts Dispel Misogyny on Japher *
                    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Japher, if that wasn't humour I hope you burn in hell.
                      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

What the hell is "fanfiction" ? Without knowing the answer, I have to say the title sounds fairly geek-like.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Clear Skies:

SpencerH: You truly are the beacon of all that is sacred
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Fanfiction is just that - original stories written by fans, using existing characters from TV shows/movies/books/comics. 90% of it is utter crap.

www.fanfiction.net has a huge archive of all sorts of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              What does it matter? Women can't write anything of literary value anyway, so let them write fan fiction... that just my opinion... at least that way they don't have to worry about character development, subplots, or anything for that matter...

Heck, if you want her to stop, show her my post and challenge her to write something of worth. I doubt she can do it, since no woman ever has.
                              Emily Bronte, Iris Murdoch, Virginia Woolf, etc. notwithstanding?
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X