How can I id classical tunes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    Likely will have to pay for something like that. P2P programs are rife with the well-known warhorses, but anything lesser known is not usually there. Although I was lucky to find about a third of the Bruckner symphonies on Kazaa, so who knows?
    I kinda feared that. I found a few VERY obscure sources I might be able to get it but I doubt the major record stores would even really bother. But, ya' never know. Maybe someday I'll get around to getting that music.

Even a google search I did earlier wasn't terribly helpful. KaZaA was the ONLY place that had the (half) song. No where did I find a website that had even a sample. Hell, even finding the CORRECT Orlando di Lasso was trying my patience.

I mean, come on, how many 500 year old classical musicians named Orlando di Lasso can there be? Too many, it seemed like...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Did you try Tower? They carry most everything available, believe me.

Keep in mind that di Lasso is usually called "di Lassus," so that can effect your searching.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

The recordings are copywrited...look at the back of any classical CD, and you'll see the copywrite symbol. If a classical radio program plays such a CD, they have to pay royalties to the record company. Believe me, the legal basis is sound.
        On what grounds? They clearly can't claim it from the music itself, most of the composers have been dead for at least a hundred years, or more. Interpretation maybe, but usually that's a minor issue when performing a piece; they generally tend to follow the score as written. So on what basis can they possibly claim copyright? Aside from the cover art as I mentioned.

If you say the legal basis is sound, kindly show me a section of the regulations that pertains to the issue. I'm to lazy right now to look up the Berne Convention protocols.

Comment

Willem, if I take a photograph of a Cathedral, the Cathedral's architect does not own the copyright on my photograph. Same principle.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
            Willem, if I take a photograph of a Cathedral, the Cathedral's architect does not own the copyright on my photograph. Same principle.
            True. Like I said, it's a rather grey area and since I don't know the actual statutes of the Berne Convention, I'm on pretty shaky ground debating this issue. It would probably make for an interesting case in court somewhere I think.

Comment

So what is the legal situation for a rock artist doing a cover of a well known song? Presumably they have to pay something to the original writer, but still have copyright over their own recording?

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                Well I'm not convinced, you still look alike.
                huh?

Who looks alike?

Comment

Rogan - that depends on what he does with it. If he just jams it during concert, technically he could not pay and hope no one notices.

Usually though he has to pay the writing artists.

If this is recorded and sold - then he has to pay X% of the profits to the original writing artist. And he holds the rights for the performance while the original artist holds the rights for the song.

Comment

Working...
                  X