Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARTICLE: Iraq Sees Islamic Resurgence

Everyone:

OK, I found this article while perusing the raw news wires at work earlier tonight and, knowing it should generate some good discussion, have posted it below. You know the score — read the article and contribute to this thread as you see fit afterwards.

Tell America: ‘Islam is back,’ cleric says

By Liz Sly
    Chicago Tribune

(KRT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq — At Baghdad’s al-Kindi Hospital, the Islamic revolution that some Iraqis fear and others crave is in full swing.

The administrator’s office, formerly occupied by a Baath Party appointee, has become the sanctuary of Sheik Abbas Zubaidi, a young cleric with a pronounced limp acquired during torture sessions in the jails of the ousted regime.

Hanging on the wall in place of the obligatory picture of Saddam Hussein is a photograph of the snowy bearded Mohammed Sadiq al-Sadr, a revered Shiite ayatollah assassinated in 1999. He is the inspiration to a new generation of Islamic radicals.

Young men with pistols stuffed in their belts hover in attendance as the sheik dispenses medicine, food and cash to a steady stream of needy people. Stacked in the corner are two Kalashnikovs and a prayer rug.

Zubaidi never misses any of the five daily prayer sessions stipulated in the Koran, and when the Islamic republic he dreams of is established, neither will anyone else in Iraq, he says.

‘‘The new government will be ruled in the name of God in heaven, whose light shines into all walks of life,’’ said Zubaidi, who says he derives his authority from the powerful Hawza el Miya seminary in Najaf, the holy Shiite city in southern Iraq.

‘‘You can tell America: Islam is back.’’

Unintended consequences

This wasn’t what the Bush administration intended when it set out to topple Saddam’s regime and transform Iraq into a ‘‘beacon of democracy’’ for the region.

But already, less than three weeks since Marines occupied the heart of Baghdad, a different vision of Iraq’s future has begun to take shape. It is a future in which Iraq would be ruled by Shiite clerics who take their orders from the ayatollahs in Najaf. It is an Iraq where women would be forced to wear the black, head-to-toe garment known as the abeya and where music, dancing and alcohol are forbidden.

It is an Iraq that would look a lot like neighboring Iran.

Bush administration officials have accused Iran of interfering in Iraq’s affairs to promote its brand of Islamic radicalism. As exiled Iraqi clerics return from Iran, some likely are carrying with them influences, instructions and, perhaps, money and arms from their former hosts.

Repressed ambitions

The dynamics driving Iraq’s nascent Islamic revolution are rooted just as much, however, in the hopes of Iraq’s long-oppressed Shiite community.

Newly released from the harsh restrictions imposed during 35 years of secularist Baath Party rule, Iraqi Shiites are embracing vigorously their newfound religious freedom, and many say they dream of establishing their own Islamic republic in Iraq. Shiites represent about 65 percent of the population in Iraq, and if the elections promised by President Bush eventually are held, their votes will carry enormous weight.

In the cities of the Shiite-dominated south, clerics have created a de facto Islamic mini-state, moving into vacated government offices and forming committees to address critical issues such as the restoration of electricity, water and social services.

In the Shiite slum of Baghdad once known as Saddam City but renamed after the slain Sadr, the mosques are dispensing health care, medicine and justice. Armed volunteers answerable to local clergy enforce order, detaining thieves and patrolling the streets.

The movement appears to have the broad support among residents.

‘‘Of course we want an Islamic government. Shiites are in the majority in Iraq, so we should have the right to choose,’’ said Haidar Shaqr, 22, a local barber living in Sadr City. He says he would support the introduction of Sharia, Islamic law. That would include the veiling of women and severe punishments for adultery and theft.

‘‘These are Islamic laws, and they will become the civilian law. They are the laws of the sky and the heaven,’’ he said. ‘‘Now, it’s just a Shiite thing, but with Saddam gone, the sheiks are insisting that these laws should be for everybody in Iraq.’’

Some Shiites fear ulterior motives

But not all Shiites are happy with what they see. Hameed Hussein al Araji, the chief surgeon at al-Kindi and a Shiite, says he is deeply alarmed and fears his hospital is just the starting point for a creeping Islamic revolution. Al-Kindi is in an area that includes Christians and other minorities and is one of several Baghdad hospitals occupied by armed mullahs.

Zubaidi and his gunmen moved into the hospital April 10, the day after Saddam’s regime collapsed, saying they had come to protect the building from looting. At first, Araji said, the doctors welcomed them, but Zubaidi and his men quickly hinted at ulterior motives.

‘‘I have told him, ‘I don’t like guns in the hospital. We have women here and children,’ " he said. ‘‘But it seems that he has his own agenda. His stated purpose was to protect the hospital, but we think he has a political reason for doing that. He is trying to win the hearts of the people. He gives out drugs, crutches and money.’’

The hospitals are virtually the only functioning institutions in Iraq, and that endows them with political weight. Before the revolution in Iran, the Shiite clergy there won the support of ordinary Iranians by providing social services in impoverished areas neglected by the state, and in Lebanon, the fundamentalist Shiite Hezbollah movement rose in Shiite areas by doing the same.

The speed with which the clerics moved to control the hospitals after the collapse of Hussein’s regime leads Araji to suspect their actions were planned in advance.

‘‘Some of the Shia leaders are neutral and try to keep religion and politics separate, but some are well-organized and are trying to create an Islamic government,’’ he said.

‘‘I hope America won’t stand by and allow them to direct the hospital as a nucleus for the coming of a religious government, because this is not the desire of all Iraqis,’’ he added.

U.S. officials wary

Some American officials say they won’t stand by.

Jay Garner, the retired general appointed to administer the country, said last week that the United States would not tolerate an Islamic republic in Iraq.

But as the U.S. begins to establish an administration for postwar Iraq, the Shiite clerics are filling a critical gap.

Not all of them see their role as permanent.

‘‘We don’t have any aim to be in the new government,’’ said Sheik Abdel Mehdi al Salami, the senior cleric in charge of the southern city of Karbala. ‘‘We want to see a government that represents all the people of Iraq. The Shiites of Iraq are the biggest percentage of people and the government should respect the religious traditions of the Shiites, but at the same time it should give an equal amount of respect to the traditions and religions of other groups.’’

Shiite divisions exist

There are deep divisions within the Shiite clergy, and Zubaidi aligns himself with a radical branch. If Iraqis of different religions or opinions don’t like the idea of an Islamic republic, they will have to get used to it, he said.

‘‘Just as Iraqis grew accustomed to listening to music, so they will grow accustomed to listening to religion in their lives,’’ Zubaidi said.

Araji counsels patience. A degree of political turmoil is inevitable in a country that has suddenly had freedom thrust upon it, he says.

‘‘We hope these things are temporary,’’ he said. ‘‘We paid with our blood for our freedom, and the Americans, they paid with their blood too. Can we believe Americans shed blood only to see an Iraqi government just like the one in Iran? I don’t think so.’’

I'm left wondering: What did U.S. and allied forces do in post-World War II Italy, Germany and Japan to keep the remnants of their defeated enemies —Fascism, Nazism and Imperialism — from rising back to power? I ask, because I wonder if we might have to use similar measures in Iraq to not only beat back Saddam's remaining supporters, but to also keep the fundamentalist elements of the Shiite population from trying to impose their will on *all* of Iraq.

What it comes down to is this: I think we're going to have to spend years occupying and administrating in Iraq, just like we did in Japan and, to a lesser degree, Europe from 1945 onward. And we're going to have to pour money into it (along with Afghanistan) in the form of a Marshall Plan II.

But do we have the *gumption* to do that? And if we do have the gumption to do it, does the rest of the world have the *stomach* to understand that things aren't going to be hunky-dory all the time during this process? I know that MacArthur did his best to respect Japan and all, but there had to be times when he had to use more stick and less carrot than he might have liked. Same would also apply to Germany during its de-Nazification process.

Reality. We all love it, don't we?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Tsk, tsk. It must all be true, then. Iraq is already yesterday's news. Well, until an Iranian-style theocracy comes to power and everyone starts arguing about whose fault it is.

Yes, this is a bump cloaked in elegant words.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

What it comes down to is this: I think we're going to have to spend years occupying and administrating in Iraq, just like we did in Japan and, to a lesser degree, Europe from 1945 onward. And we're going to have to pour money into it (along with Afghanistan) in the form of a Marshall Plan II.

I completely agree. All this talk of turning things over to the Iraqis in six months scares the hell out of me. We need to take the time necessary to set up the infrastructure necessary for liberal democracy (constitution, enumerated rights, independent judiciary, checks and balances) before we allow the Iraqis to vote. Doing otherwise is just a recipe for an Islamic republic and civil war.

But do we have the *gumption* to do that?

I sure hope so.

And if we do have the gumption to do it, does the rest of the world have the *stomach* to understand that things aren't going to be hunky-dory all the time during this process?

I'm don't think so. That's my main concern; much of the world, including some in Europe would love to see Iraq go to **** just to spite America. A completely moronic viewpoint, but blind hatred will do that to you.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

What are we supposed to say other than "told you so".

The comparison with post WWII is misleading. You have managed to get rid of the regime (sort of) but you didn't count on the fact that these people believe they should have their own country as they see fit.

Wasn't it Bush Sr who said that you can't give a people a little freedom and then expect them to give it back?
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

An Islamic Republic of Iraq would probably be considerably more stable than a puppet 'democracy'. It's not going to happen, of course. The Iraqi people are not going to be allowed to choose their leaders. Well, maybe once all the oil has been extracted and all the pork-barrel 'reconstruction' work has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            The Iraqi people are not going to be allowed to choose their leaders. Well, maybe once all the oil has been extracted and all the pork-barrel 'reconstruction' work has been done.

And then in the years to come, there will be a whole generation of Muslims that want to blow up themselves in order to kill us.

But the Bush administration's policies are notorious for passing problems on to other people. Hopefully we can get a decent president soon.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm don't think so. That's my main concern; much of the world, including some in Europe would love to see Iraq go to **** just to spite America. A completely moronic viewpoint, but blind hatred will do that to you.

Wait, only now do we hear things will all not be hunky dory? (wonders about drake and the French and " A completely moronic viewpoint")

I think for the US to make a good and democratic Iraq, an occupation at least as long as that of Japan (7 years) would be in order, and the US should expect to carry the vast majority of the finantial burden (you say we can go it alone, well that applis to the costs afterwards as well) of remaking Iraq as well. I don;t think a Iranina style government is in order, since while Shia's are a majority, they are still only 60% (as opposed to 90% or the like in Iran) and not all in mind to have such a government.

The problem is that unlike Drake, I don't think the US has the gumption to do so. Before the war most people supported this adventure because of the "imminent threat of Iarqi WMD;s in Terrorist hands", which by now I think in time will be seen as false danger. Now everyone is self-saisfided that we "liberated" Iraq, don't care about WMD's, think the job is done, and want to bring the boys back home. The American people are not prepared for the commitment we have to make in Iraq. For them this was a cheap, simple affair now done, so lets talk about Laci Peterson.....
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't think it's wrong to compare Iraq to the post-World War II situation, Agathon. After all, Japan didn't exactly have a long history of freedom, but it managed to become a vibrant democracy and strong economic power with help from the United States. But it took years for that to happen.

There's no history of freedom in Iraq, either, let alone the Middle East in general. I find it difficult to believe, and maybe I'm being a bit naive about it purposefully, that the Iraqi people *can't* handle such Western-style freedoms and responsibilities being thrust upon their shoulders. It will just take time, and U.S. elements will have to take the approach I described in my first post to this thread.

Then again, there's always the specter of Weimar Germany hovering over Iraq, too. The Germans of that period fell under the spell of the Nazi Party, and we all know where that led. Might Iraq face a similar future — except as a theocracy — as Weimar Germany? Not if we play our cards right ... but that's not a guarantee.

I'm not saying Iraq could still become another Nazi Germany in terms of it conquering the Middle East. But it could become another Iranian-style nation, and we know that sort of future is almost just as bleak as Nazi Germany. Heck, even Iran knows that, judging from the dissent one sees and hears from time to time. The clerics aren't the way to go.

Gatekeeper

Comment

And then in the years to come, there will be a whole generation of Muslims that want to blow up themselves in order to kill us.
                  I reckon they'll be too poor, sick and illiterate to be able to organise a credible terrorist campaign.

Comment

The problem is that unlike Drake, I don't think the US has the gumption to do so.

I said I wasn't sure the US has the gumption to do this. I hope we do.

I also want the US to involve the UN in post-war Iraq, even if it means allowing the French to get their hands on the spoils that they don't deserve. America needs international support to provide political cover so the US can stay in Iraq as long as is necessary to do the job right. My worry has always been that we would not do the post-war right, which is why I was reluctantly pro-war.

My views don't exactly fit your perception of me, do they GePap?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It's pretty clear that we don't have the balls to handle Iraq responsibly. We only need to look at Afghanistan to verify this.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Well, at least Iran hasn't tried to take over the entire middle east with rolling tin cans named after big cats. Despite that Iran means the land of aryans. But that's probably partly due to the lack of resources...

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                          An Islamic Republic of Iraq would probably be considerably more stable than a puppet 'democracy'.
                          Yep. And the Taliban brought long-sought stability to Afghanistan. But is that a kind of stability folks would wish to bring to the Iraqi people, Sandman?

The Iraqi people are not going to be allowed to choose their leaders. Well, maybe once all the oil has been extracted and all the pork-barrel 'reconstruction' work has been done.
                          Were the people of Germany, Italy and Japan following World War II allowed to immediately choose their leaders, Sandman? Or did the Allies put "puppets" in during an interim period?

Yet, in time, the people of these nations got to choose their leaders, and the democracy that was seeded then remains strong now. But would that have been the case if the Allies had taken a "hands-off" policy during the occupation phase?

You see what's happening in some parts of Iraq — fundamentalist elements of the Shiite population are attempting to exert control, all in the guise of bringing stability back to the people. Stability is a good thing, mind you, but if they succeed in the long run ... well ... the Pied Piper's price is going to be painfully high.

What it comes down to is this: Leadership isn't always a game of popularity. Leaders have to make hard decisions sometimes. And one of those hard decisions for Bush will be how he handles the fundamentalist Shiite population in Iraq. Does he allow them to seed their Islamic government from hospitals now and let it spread outward, as it did in Iran? Or does he do something to keep them in check during the interim period while Iraq recovers from Saddam Hussein and the war that ousted him from power? He has to do something, and that something will not necessarily be popular. But it very well could be the *right* thing to do.

Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Comment

I missed the references to the Kurds in this thread. They are absolutely thrilled to see the Americans, and I'm sure would be glad to have a US presence in the north for the next hundred years.

The US promised them some sort of autonomy back in Gulf War I if they fought against Saddam. After they revolted, Bush Sr. didn't follow through and Saddam took revenge.

Is there anything wrong with an fundamentalist Islamic "democracy" springing up in Iraq ? True, it won't be a western style democracy, but still far more people would have input into government then in almost any other middle eastern country.

Can there be such a thing as a fundamentalist/fanatical democracy?

...And isn't Dubbya a fundamentalist?
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

But the Bush administration's policies are notorious for passing problems on to other people. Hopefully we can get a decent president soon.
                              thats why we unleash the aids on them. you know we developed it, right?
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                              X