Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest upset in history of World Championship hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest upset in history of World Championship hockey?

Just got home and saw that Denmark, in its first appearance in the World Championship ever, beat the US 5-2 in the opening match of their group.

Denmark now leads the group tied with Russia, after their win 5-2 over Switzerland.

Thoughts, reactions, displays of submission from our American friends...?

well done Denmark... however is US playing with their 2nd team or is the best team on the ice?
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The wc in hockey is a mickey mouse competition. Nothing's upsetting about besides the tournament in itself.

Comment

OFitG,

I think it's their 2nd team, the NHL finals are on also I think.

Link for those interested to CNN/SI.com's story Denmark stuns US in world Ch'ship

Comment

Still good luck with the Swiss
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

That was against the odds yeah.. I don't think the US has the team for gold medal, but I think they'll definitely bounce back and get their game together.

This WC games are now more interesting. Some big stars there. Slovakians have Satan.. and other big names. Swedish have Zetterberg, Forsberg, Sundin.. etc.
            We have Selänne, Koivu etc..Mickey Mouse tournament? I don't think so! Everyone wants to win, and I see some of the best players here.
            Hejduk is coming for Czheks..I see only top scoreres in NHL here.

.. but eventually we will win.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

But greatest upset in the history? Not really.. I'd go with Russias team in their home games.. they had like the dream team of history... the best Russian players.. and they screwed it up, losing to Norway etc.. They just didn't get the game going. It was pretty upsetting. They didn't even advance from starting rounds.

I was calculating and I see we will face Sweden in semifinals or finals.. it will be very interesting, since the Swedes have a very good team right now, top notch players from NHL, they really want to win. It will be a classic battle.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Thanks OFitG!

It seems the US are pretty calm apparently. Three of the four teams in the group advance to the next stage.

Comment

way to go DK! I see things have improved since last time

In the 1949 tournament in Stockholm, Sweden, Denmark lost one game to Canada 47-0, still a record in championship history.
                  CSPA

Comment

Yeah, it seems like Denmark has a good chance to advance here.. If they beat or tie with the Swiss they'll prolly advance and get to play more.. and I think their team is pretty much in the zone right now, and their goalie is on too, big time! It will be interesting to see what's going to happen..

But that aside...

GO FINLAND GO GO GO !!!!
                    Attached Files
                    In da butt.

Comment

Judging from that score, I think in 1949 Danes didn't even know the rules of the game.

Comment

Yes Pekka, if Denmark should somehow inexplicably stumble along the way, let's at least keep it Nordic.

Comment

Looking at Pekka's picture, I have to wonder if they could have left the child doing the "saftey dance" out of their routine. If s/he is forced to wear a helmut for the performance, perhaps s/he is too young to be among the adults on the ice...
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

We keep those little performers in cages, so they don't mind wearing the helmet to get little fresh air.
                            In da butt.

Comment

World Championships ...

Just a consolation prize for the Stanley Cup losers (like the Leafs )
                              "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X