New Car Models: Style over Substance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Models: Style over Substance?

I just got done reading Edmunds review of the new Scion (Toyota) xB. If you don't follow the car market, Toyota is launching a new brand this year that is intended to target "the Millenium" generation. The xB is basically a small box on small wheels. It is intentionally edgy, and it is designed from the get-go to be customized, al a SEMA.

As a older dude (I am 33-which makes me an early gen-X person), I couldn't be more repelled by these things. It is everything I don't want in a car:

-Over-styled: looks dumb in three years and gets cops attention.

-Tall: I want my butt as close to the ground as possible when I am driving. Function over form: low center of gravity is what counts.

-Boxy: Aerodynamics.

-Weak: The thing has 108 hp. Now, if your are the sensitive type, stop reading. There. Now. What kind of emasculated freak of a early twenties male would even think about a car with 108 hp. How can 108 hp be desireable to young people?

So. What do Apolytoners think? Edmunds has a big forum, but it is populated pretty much by car freaks, so opionions there are a bit slanted. I thought I would check out a larger segment of the population to see what they think. Am I just too old to get it? Is this just a case of reactionary marketing (different, even if worse, is cool)?
    Got my new computer!!!!

A pic please?
    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

This is the Toyota Scion BBX..

Toyota Scion CCX
      >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

The BBX is ugliest piece of excrement I've ever seen. The CCX is nice looking in an early 90s kinda way.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The BBX is a piece of crap. The CCX isn't bad.

Now what I like is a clone type of car:

more: http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/burgy/index.htm

Well I am young.. 18.. so the engine is huge.. what can I say?
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Ugh. I'd rather drive around in a 30 year old bedford van then that bbx thing. Though the ccx is quite nice. That'd be a cool car to have.
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a 'bbx' so long as it gets great fuel mileage - that's what's most important to me.
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

say, how is the CCX floating on water?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                  say, how is the CCX floating on water?
                  Oh the Japanese tecnology...

Comment

WHAT WOULD JESUS DRIVE?

Comment

the CCX, I guess.

so, what about them fuel cells? how is that research going?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Jesus drive this one

Comment

No, the CCX! It floats on whater for crying out loud, what more proof do you need?
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                            No, the CCX! It floats on whater for crying out loud, what more proof do you need?
                            Proof? here's a proof
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X