Long live Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long live Rock

This thread is dedicated to rock n' roll.

Feel free to talk about any kind of rock here. but no R & B, rap, classical or other music.

Hey I was watching Conan O' Brien and they had a band called the white stripes. They seemed interesing. I may check them out on Kazaa. Anybody ever heard of them? What can you tell me about them?

I love Bob Seger. Live Bullet is the greatest album ever, IMO. The "Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser" medley blows me away every time I hear it, especially after some herbaceous stemroot.

Golden Earring is excellent as well.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

they're an ex-married couple whose act is based on their being "brother and sister".

they're aiight. i like one of their videos, which was done entirely in lego.
      B♭3

Comment

Led Zeppelin is God!

Comment

Originally posted by Insigna
          Led Zeppelin is God!

I haven't been able to listen to Zeppelin since Page and Plant reunited and gave John Paul Jones the cold shoulder by not going ahead with a full Led Zep reunion. Plant's reasoning: "A million dollars divided by two is more than a million dollars divided by three."

Jones is a brilliant, completely underappreciated artist, and his collaberation with Diamonda Galas and his solo album Zooma are both pure genius.

Screw Page and Plant.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I agree that Jones is underated and under appriciated, but the reason they don't reunite is because Bonham is dead and the band is not complete without him.

Comment

Re: Long live Rock

Originally posted by Dissident
              Hey I was watching Conan O' Brien and they had a band called the white stripes. They seemed interesing. I may check them out on Kazaa. Anybody ever heard of them? What can you tell me about them?
              The White Stripes are considered by many people, especially here in Europe for some reason, to be the best new American band for years and years. Their uniquely blues-based sound, their well-thought-out image, the entire single-guitarist-and-drummer thing has certainly helped (and set trends) but it's the quality of the song material that really make them stand out from others in the "new garage rock thingy" genre.

They first came to world prominence in the summer of 2001, a couple of months after the entire Strokes hype thing blew up and british music mags started writing about cool american bands again. The White Stripes, with their exaggerated nature and imagery fit right in originally, but have since become easily the most well-known and cherished band of the type.

Partially it's because of their leadership status in a new Detroit Rock scene that's sprouted loads of really cool new bands recently, all reasonably close to the White Stripes in sound: The Dirtbombs, The Detroit Cobras, The Soledad Brothers, The Electric 6 etc. The first three of those were featured together with The Stripes on a 2001 single-recording-session compilation called "Sympathetic Sounds of Detroit" which has become a bit of a bible for a lot of (mostly european) music fans.

The White Stripes have released four albums so far, of those I highly recommend their first one (self-titled) and the most recent one, Elephant. Both brilliant in very different ways.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=5:24:20|AM&sql=B6fdovwvua9uk~C

For a more american-centered perspective.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Insigna
                  I agree that Jones is underated and under appriciated, but the reason they don't reunite is because Bonham is dead and the band is not complete without him.
                  I'd like to point out the fact that the above is an actual quote from Plant from when he was directly asked why Jones was not included in the Page/Plant tour. He was quite up front with his reasoning.

I agree that the band isn't complete without Bonham, but there was no reason the three couldn't have reunited, in some form. The economic formula Plant bluntly gives is pure crassness.

Comment

May 2nd - Mesa Amphitheatre - Blackest of the Black Tour

Danzig is coming and Opeth is opening!!!! It made my day when I found out about it .
                    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

HOLY CRAP! SNAPCASE MAKES SENSE ABOUT MUSIC!

My world is collapsing.

Anyways, I've been listening to my White Stripes mp3's lately. I've known of them for some time, 'course, but it didn't really "hit" me until I happened to hear Seven Nation Army. Might even get their albums, at least when I get some money.
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

I think there should be a celebrity deathmatch between Jack Black and Jack White.

Also, at some point Frank Black and Barry White would hop in the ring. Yes.

The downside is that at least one of them would die.
                        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Evanescence
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I like just about everything classic rock, esp. what static u. mentioned about BoB seger and golden earring. Real big stones and beatles fan.

I like very little of the newer stuff these days. Tool, Radiohead, Godsmack. That's about it. Cant stand the white stripes or the strokes.
                            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I recently got into Hendrix. Amazing, amazing stuff. I don't know how I went so long without knowing his music.
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X