The Oppressed People Of Varrag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Issue
    Commuters are complaining about the ongoing rise in gas prices, causing a massive debate in the government about what should be done.

The Debate
    "Who cares about a few trees?" says oil executive Hope Hamilton. "Gas prices are six varaag chips per gallon, and rising! There is lots of oil to be found in areas currently protected as parks! Solving our energy needs are more important than conserving the environment. Just give us permission to go in there and start drilling, and gas prices will plummet!"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

"There are other ways to recover from the fossil fuel crisis besides ruining forests," says environmental activist Larry Barry. "We shouldn't just take the short way out and drill here. I suggest spending more money on public transportation systems and encouraging people to carpool - if people weren't so reliant on fossil fuel powered cars, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place, and if we start using less oil, the price will drop with the demand."
    [Accept]
    The Government Position
    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
      "Doing what we are told is good for our health"

UN Category: Father Knows Best State
      Civil Rights:
      Some Economy:
      Powerhouse Political Freedoms:
      Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, safe nation, renowned for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 93 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 43%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

Female newsreaders distract the nation by breastfeeding during broadcast, there have been reports of people marrying housepets, abortions are carried out secretly in shady backstreet clinics, and pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Issue
        A recent anti-government rally by highly disgruntled teens has brought a previously minor issue to the fore- should people be permitted to burn Varaag's flag, or should it be a crime?

The Debate
        "We should be able to burn the flag as a sign of protest. I say ignore those crazy red-blooded fanatics who won't let us! After all it's because we are a tolerant nation that we should allow it!" says Elizabeth Rifkin, civil rights activist, while trying to wave a burning flag without setting anybody nearby on fire.
        [Accept]

"Burning should be allowed for everything! Down with the pig cops and their repressive regime!" says well-known anarchist and arsonist Randy Christmas, from the comfy and non-flammable confines of a prison cell. "Burn! Burn burn burn! Everything! Kyahahaha!"
        [Accept]

"These barbarians are suggesting burning the flag of our glorious nation as if it were a piece of scrap cloth! First it's burning the flag, and before you know it, it's rebellion and anarchy!" Bill Hamilton scowls. "Flag burning should be punishable by jail terms and a good flogging!"

The Government Position
        The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

Civil Rights:
          Some Economy:
          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, safe nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 105 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 44%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

There have been reports of people marrying housepets, abortions are carried out secretly in shady backstreet clinics, pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil, and people caught mistreating Varaag's flag generally wind up in a great deal of pain. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
            After a recent national survey revealed that almost three-quarters of the population only know the primary language of Varaag, there have been rising calls for the government to take action.

The Debate
            "Fluency in foreign languages is imperative to education," says Professor Jazz King of Varaag University. "Learning a new tongue not only gives a child a practical, marketable skill, but also encourages compassion and understanding of foreign cultures. With so many nations in the world, I do insist that we increase government funding in these areas and make it a compulsory part of the curriculum. As we say in Ancient Maxtopian: froggug sederty bungo-bungo!"
            [Accept]

"To be frank, the need for outsiders' speak doesn't appeal to me in the slightest!" claims Miranda Hamilton, a fierce patriot. "Making our children learn these languages is an affront to the basic civil rights of Varaag! What's more, this will encourage those damn foreigners to come here and take our jobs! I for one, will not stand for it! We can drop that area of education; it'll give us tax payers a bit of a breather for once. I've always said that we don't need any others but our own!"

The Government Position
            The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

Civil Rights:
              Below Average Economy:
              Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 105 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 43%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

Abortions are carried out secretly in shady backstreet clinics, pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil, people caught mistreating Varaag's flag generally wind up in a great deal of pain, and foreigners are treated with great suspicion. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                Illegal street racing and racing-related injuries are on the rise, causing many infamous racers to begin rallying for an officially sanctioned racing series and track facilities in order to safely satisfy their need for speed.

The Debate
                "If you don't let us race on real racetracks, then we'll just keep running on the roads at night!" says racing fans' favorite Klaus Jefferson, at the wheel of a tricked-out Honda. "Would it kill you guys to build a couple of nice big race facilities? Think of the money you'd make on charging admission and selling drinks and stuff! And it'd be a lot safer than all of us tearing around on public roads! Forget about the people griping about the noise pollution!"

"Don't tell me you plan to cater to these speed freaks!" police officer Violet Washington comments over coffee and donuts. "Encouraging this sport is only going to increase the street racing problem because all these punks who can't afford to run the professional circuit are going to want to satisfy their lead feet the way they have been! What we need is more police funding to crack down on these punk hotrodders."
                [Accept]
                The Government Position
                The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                  Below Average Economy:
                  Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, safe nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 110 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 44%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

Pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil, people caught mistreating Varaag's flag generally wind up in a great deal of pain, foreigners are treated with great suspicion, and the Varaag Automotive Racing Series draws millions of spectators annually while those near the tracks complain about the noise. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                    A survey citing a tremendous increase in unsolicited emails has added fire to the subject of what many view as a scourge of the Internet.

The Debate
                    "The spam problem is out of control," states anti-spam advocate Klaus Hanover. "I get at least fifty spam e-mails a day. That isn't even counting the spam people are posting to my newsgroup and to my messageboard. This junk is a waste of time in that I have to delete it and a waste of my money in that I have to buy anti-spam programs-which hardly work anyway. People get swindled by this stuff - it should be a crime, just like regular fraud."
                    [Accept]

"A ban on all spam is a restriction on our freedom of speech and on the freedom of the press!" screams Faith Jefferson president of Citizens for Internet Freedom. "What is the government to say what is and isn't commercial spam? Could they haul charity representatives off to jail for seeking donations? Could they jail politicians for using e-mail to try and gain votes? Could they arrest me if I accidentally send my erotic novel-in-progress to the wrong address? Seriously, spamming is a subjective offense and as such should not be considered a crime."
                    [Accept]

"Both sides are wrong," grumbles government paper-pusher Prudence Mombota. "Spam is definitely a problem, yet so is the restriction on freedoms which some draconian anti-spam codes would impose. I propose a ban on overtly fraudulent spam, and a tax on more legitimate businesses that rely on spam as an advertising method, and a strict legal definition of spam that would ensure no innocent person was prosecuted or taxed."

The Government Position
                    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                      Below Average Economy:
                      Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, safe nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 110 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 45%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

People caught mistreating Varaag's flag generally wind up in a great deal of pain, foreigners are treated with great suspicion, the Varaag Automotive Racing Series draws millions of spectators annually while those near the tracks complain about the noise, and the government is making attempts at curtailing the flood of spam emails with little progress. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                        A number of well-dressed gentlemen wearing a varied assortment of swords is insisting that they be allowed to settle their private disputes on the field of honourable battle.

The Debate
                        "We must be permitted our inherent right to defend our honour through feats of arms!" exclaims Roger Washington, a bewigged aristocrat sporting a particularly flamboyant swept-hilt rapier. "The right to duel is one found throughout history for the honourable settling of disputes and I must insist that my right to fight be recognised! The world would be so much better - and cheaper too - if conflicts of interest were sorted through trial by combat instead of trial by jury."

"Swords? Heavens, what dreadful things. All sharp and pointy - quite dangerous, you know," says Jean-Paul Jefferson, an ardent pacifist. "Duelling ought to be banned! The best way to settle these kind of arguments are through trials, we all know that. If we go ahead with what these duelling nutters want then innocent people will die! It will be a sad day when people value money more than justice. Apart from lawyers, obviously."
                        [Accept]
                        The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                          Average Economy:
                          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, economically powerful nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 116 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 42%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

Foreigners are treated with great suspicion, the Varaag Automotive Racing Series draws millions of spectators annually while those near the tracks complain about the noise, the government is making attempts at curtailing the flood of spam emails with little progress, and murderers frequently escape punishment by claiming they were protecting their honour. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                            Several underground organisations in Varaag have recently been spreading discontent throughout the populace about not being able to vote.

The Debate
                            "We demand the power to rule the country the way we want!" cries Calvin Christmas while being dragged before you in chains. "Too long have you and your dictatorial government been allowed to control our lives! The right to vote in a fair and free election is all we crave! You can take our lives, but you'll never take our souls! Elections for Varaag!"
                            [Accept]

"If you'll take my advice, we should just send these crazies down to the dungeons," murmurs Hack Washington, one of your political advisors. "If we let them spread this propaganda we'll soon have a revolution on our hands! We should crack down on these groups, and ban non-governmental political organisations to keep the people from getting too frisky with their pitchforks."

"There's no need to be quite so dramatic," assures Aaron McGuffin, your minister of Silly Walks as he pinwheels past. "We could let them have their way a little, just to keep them happy, you know? We could give them the right to vote, but not the right to run for office. Then we could just pick out the candidates we wanted and they could choose! We've been doing this for years, we don't want some uppity new bloke trying to tell us what to do."
                            [Accept]
                            The Government Position
                            The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                              Average Economy:
                              Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, economically powerful nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 116 million are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.

The Varaag Automotive Racing Series draws millions of spectators annually while those near the tracks complain about the noise, the government is making attempts at curtailing the flood of spam emails with little progress, murderers frequently escape punishment by claiming they were protecting their honour, and the government is cracking down on subversive groups. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                                After a sixty year old man with psoriasis streaked past cameras and millions of sports fans during the snooker league playoffs, protesters have called for tougher action.

The Debate
                                "This can't go on!" says traumatized snooker player Jack du Pont, "Children are watching sports and having them exposed to this lewd behaviour is unacceptable! I demand that these people be locked up for several years and maybe they'll have learnt their lesson!"
                                [Accept]

"Oh don't be ridiculous!" scoffs prolific streaker Freddy Thiesen, "It's all just a bit of fun and the kids shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool, or they'll learn nothing! Sports are so dull anyway, it needs a little bare skin to liven it up. Streaking should be legal!"

The Government Position

Comment

Working...
                                X