Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale

We want to know what peoples thoughts are about scale.

Should units tower above the cities, trees, mountains, hills, etc

Should the hills and mountains span more than one tile, or is the firaxis way of doing mountains and hill ok.

Or could you just not care about the scale.

think civ2...units should be big enough to know easy what they are but not that you cant see what the tile behind them is...
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

I think it would be more realistic if a hill -or mountain area is larger then a tile (visually seen).

For the units, relatively easy visible but not overwhelming.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

i think the huge units in civ4 look quite unattractive...Civ2 style is better, but it would be neat if mountains were bigger than a tile...
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

I just want you all to know that the bigger the mountain, the more we can do with it, (more resources per mountain/hill, fortress, lookout, gunneries, etc).

Unfortunately for us, the bigger the mountain the more problems it causes. So we are trying to find the importance and favour of larger than 1 tile mountains.
          be free

Comment

I would certainly support larger than one tile mountains. Indeed, I would go one further:

In the scenario editor, it should be possible for the map designer to be able to create his/her own highly detailed mountain ranges from a series of mountain templates that can be assembled into different configurations.

However, this might be too difficult (and time consuming) for Sn00py and JimmyH to achieve within their development timeframe.

Comment

We are not supporting modding....well atleast not yet.

We are concentrating on making a single player game that has plenty of depth.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyh
                We are not supporting modding....well atleast not yet.

We are concentrating on making a single player game that has plenty of depth.
                I'd advise against that attitude and build modding into the game from the get-go. It will make development a whole lot easier later if you decide you want to support it (afterall, if you decide you don't, just don't release the editor). The "default" game should be a mod (scenario) in and of itself. Doing this now will also allow the playtest phase to try several different versions of the game an pick the most balanced options, pulling out un-fun ideas until you are left with a single, well-balanced and fun game.

Comment

Since I am the primary coder on this project, along with help from some one else, we do not have the time to add in modding capabilities, We'll leave that to firaxis.

I do believe that adding the ability to mod the game would lessen the single player experience some what, since time spent on doing code to enable modding could be spent fine tuning the single player game.

And if we do decide to add modding, it will be added later. I've been programming for 10 years and been in the games industry for 6-7 years, so adding it later would not be a problem.

Comment

JimmyH:

In the scenario editor, it should be possible for the map designer to be able to create his/her own highly detailed mountain ranges from a series of mountain templates that can be assembled into different configurations

Maybe I should have changed the word "create" to "design" ....

I actually meant that Humanitas should possibly include a couple of mountain type tiles that could be combined (within the editor) to create more realistic (and bigger) mountains.

Sn00py possibly knows what I mean ....

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyh
                      Since I am the primary coder on this project, along with help from some one else, we do not have the time to add in modding capabilities, We'll leave that to firaxis.

i don't like the way that sounds
                      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

any chance i can get a copy of the game before you give it to firaxis? my confidence in them is....shaky

Comment

I suppose your reference to Firaxis is for the moddability of cIV, not that Humanitas will be sold to the company?
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I do believe that adding the ability to mod the game would lessen the single player experience some what, since time spent on doing code to enable modding could be spent fine tuning the single player game.
                            I tend to disagree. In Clash, modding is not very powerful, but it's at least possible to create a small map very fast, make sure it's balanced the way you want it to be, and test things very fast. Of course, the fact that recognizing a new tag in the resources (xml) files costs 0 helps (thanks to java reflection). Overall, I think having a parser and some resource files with some, albeit limited, events capabilities, helps develop the game faster. I guess Firaxis pickes Python as a scripting language because it is actually faster to develop the base game in that language than in, say C++.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

on a scale of 1 -10, 10 being most important, mod-ability, to me, would be about, ummm....1. i'd rather have better game play!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X