Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5th poll: What will make you not buy Dinosaurs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A minor comment considering sale-ability.

I doubt even 0.1% of Sid's fans would buy a 3d hunting game.

And yet games of this genre continue to dominate the sales charts.

Limiting yourself to an existing fan base is a sure path to extinction.

Only diversity and adaption are realistic routs to longevity.

Comment

any of you guys ever play simearth?

its an old Maxis game based on enviromental theory - you can use it to fool around with global warming, terraforming, or the evolution of earth from early in the planets geological history. models climatological and geological stuff - evolution will give you plants - which will change the atmosphere to give make animals possible, than possibility of evolution towards intelligence and technology - if prior ages have left behind enough fossil fuels, can have industry, but that can lead to problems, including global warming. Concept is cool, but its damned ugly and quite complex, and i havent felt motivated to actually play it much. It is "real time" IIRC but in the slow, serious fashion of simcity.

I presume dino would be some cross between an environmental sim like this, and a competing tribes of dinos game with heavy civ influences (expand, conquer. stuff, eat other dinos, evolve)
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lord of the mark on 01-03-2001 03:05 PM
        any of you guys ever play simearth?

Yes, I have.

quote:

its an old Maxis game based on enviromental theory ... but that can lead to problems, including global warming. Concept is cool, but its damned ugly and quite complex, and i havent felt motivated to actually play it much. It is "real time" IIRC but in the slow, serious fashion of simcity.

Agreed. It really wasn't fun to play, but it certainly was well done.

quote:

I presume dino would be some cross between an environmental sim like this, and a competing tribes of dinos game with heavy civ influences (expand, conquer. stuff, eat other dinos, evolve)

About what I have thought, but then again we may never know if there isn't a new journal soon.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Roman on 11-08-2000 06:10 AM
          Coming to think of it, the Dinosaurs game is probably a good idea after all, since it will target young children and bring them into the TBS camp. This means that when they grow older they will enlarge our ranks - the end result being more and better TBS games.

Worked with me with Civilization I, but I had 13 years old then. If dinos is going to be a simple game (I think SMAC is a complex, good one), I won't buy Dinossaurs. Because I'm a big boy, now! Remember that Firaxis!

"BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

There's an important difference between games (Civ) and toys (SimEarth).

They can both be a lot of fun, but they have very different play styles. Toys don't have win conditions.

Comment

quote:

What will make you not buy Dinosaurs?

How about, I won't buy it if it never gets released!

Is anybody still working on this title, or has the entire crew been diverted to help with Civ III?

Comment

Dinos: What will make you not buy Dinosaurs?
                OptionVotes / Percentage
                I will buy ANYTHING that has the name Sid Meier on it 23 / 15%
                I won't buy if it contains unrealistic elements 17 / 11%
                I won't buy if it's an RTS game 39 / 26%
                I won't buy if it's a TBS game 2 / 1%
                I won't buy period, since I hate anything that involves dinos 37 / 25%
                Dont know/Dont care 28
                / 19
                %
                Total Votes: 146
                View Comments
                Forums Main Page

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited January 24, 2001).]
                [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited January 24, 2001).]

Comment

Looks like I "win" the poll. ;-)

Oh, well--maybe the concept will be resurrected someday. In the meantime, I'm now really curious about the non-Civ III project that has Sid so excited. Time will tell.

Comment

I guess the game not being made will make me not buy it.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

There not being a dinos game might help
                      Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Working...
                      X