Have I missed something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I missed something?

I just found in CivIII section a link to Sid's message.
    (Found here)
    In the end Sid says and i quote.

quote:

Hopefully, you've been keeping up with the Dino Diaries. The Dino project is moving along nicely and Mike and I will continue to keep you posted through the diaries.

As far as I know last update to diaries is from July.
    Is this true or...

Well, I do hope they continue with the diaries.
    [This message has been edited by Jeje2 (edited December 22, 2000).]

no, they just stoped making new diaries

there is zero official info on what is going on with dino

Comment

I also thought it was a bit strange that when the Civ3 site goes up in the new year, we will have more info on Civ3 than Dinosaur's.

My understanding was that they were hoping to get Dinosaur's finished before Xmas, leaving Civ3 to be completed sometime next year.

Are we to guess there's been a few hitches?

Comment

I bet for some pressure from Civ 3 publisher.

Civ 3 will (almost granted) a "cash cow", so any late is a very expensive one.

Dino was the favourite pet of Sid, but fan reactions where almost icing and the Disney movie "Dinosaurus" could be supposed to make this the wrong moment to play with the Dino concept.

Yes, lot of indirect advertising, but many unwanted crossing reference, now pre defined players' expectation about graphics, kind of plot, etc., are bad for proper market brand recognition.

Do you imagine Sid blue in the face while someone is asking him: did you make Sid Meiers' Dinosaurus? Ah, yes, that Disney game franchise from the cartoon movie: nice but not really like the original on the large screen.

------------------
        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I'm guessing that Dinosaurs has been put on the back burner while Civ3 is finished up.

It's kinda too bad, as I was looking forward to hearing more about Dinosaurs.

If they have stopped for a while and come back to it though, I kinda hope they move the scope of the project up a little bit and make it about Evolution in general, as it would be fun to take your um... genes(?) from single-celled pond scum to intellegence. Kinda like SimEarth, but with strategy.

`Evolution' would make a great counterpart to `Civilization'. But then again, it's hard to go wrong with just plain dinosaurs.

Joe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fintilgin on 12-29-2000 10:55 AM
            I'm guessing that Dinosaurs has been put on the back burner while Civ3 is finished up.

If thats the case, its going to be a while. I've heard around here that Civ III won't be done until 2002. Add developement time and dinos in 2003 or 4?

quote:

It's kinda too bad, as I was looking forward to hearing more about Dinosaurs.

Couldn't agree more.

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
            X