Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, happy newyear!
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

M@ani@c? Is that you? is this the same person that posted the previous post under the name M@ani@c? WOW this one doesn't want me to pull my hair out! Much more civil. If your original post was more like your last one, you would have diffenantly come off as more reasonable. Just trying to cause trouble M@ni@c? What's up?

btw.. yes 'grain of salt' is used in English.. at least in the US.

As far as the fundemental 'preaching' of your first post. It's not a single word, but rather the additude expressed by your belligerent words.

It showed that not only did you disagree with 'creationism' but that there was absolutely NO room from other opionions, no matter how wrong you (or for that matter, I) think they are. You ranted like a fundementalist of science, screaming and insulting 'believers' accomplishes the same as a fundementalist sidewalk preacher 'believer in Christ' screaming you are going to burn in hell and God will smite you down. It's insulting and usually only closes the ears and minds of everyone.

Quote:
      "I can't understand how someone can neglect that in favour of some book of a superprimitive civilization."

If you want to know 'why' creationist have closed thier ears to science, ask one that has actually thought about it. Granted there are a lot that 'believe' because they were indoctrinated, but I see a very similiar thing happeneing within the 'non-believing' community as well. Also, to find these people you might consider not calling them "moronic" and "lunitic bastards"

------------------
      "Power does not corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

"Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

Comment

Well em, sorry Bblue for my tone in that post. I suppose I was in a bad mood back then. I sometimes have that from time to time as some civ3 SE posters under you already might have noticed.

Comment

Urban Ranger: Actually, I spend a great deal of time in Off-Topic. And except for my observation of your questionable logic (which I admitted), I have been on topic. I used to get into off topic debates all the time, helping to ruin good threads with tangents. But eventually I learned.

Now, back to the flood. OK, maybe a comet wouldn't be able to produce that much water. I don't know. I was merely brainstorming. Moreover, the flood does not need to be long-term. A month long flood would be enough to cause major havoc since it seems likely that many dinosaurs couldn't swim (especially against strong currents) and the ones that could would have trouble getting to their food supply. How about a rash of tsunamis caused by an impact in the ocean or a massive underwater earthquake? Are you telling me that there is *no* mechanism that could produce a major flood, even in a local proximity?

BTW, I don't take kindly to threats. Not very good logic...

Comment

You guys are missing one key link. Christians don't need scientific proof to justify our beliefs. We take things like God, the flood, and everything else on faith.
            So you people can come up with your theories and proof. We will keepe our faith.

By the way the race in Voyager was called the Voth. They supposedly evolved from the hardosaur. They believed they were like the first race to evolve in the region. They were deep in Doctrine (compare to Bible ?).

One scientist named Gegen found the remains of Lieuteneant Hogan. So he claimed that Humans and Voth had common ancestry. He was dubbed a heretic. Yadda, yadda he agreed to recant his views and reassigned to a different field of science.

So there is a synopsis.

------------------
            Damnit, Jim I'm a doctor not an animal psychologist

Comment

Maybe one of the more intellegent religious people here would give an answer to why they have choosen faith over science?

P.S. Please don't respond if you are a zealot, thoughtful answers only, please
              "Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

Comment

zaz: I saw that same episode and I thought it was one of the most interesting episodes I have seen. It would be interesting to see this in a Civ setting.

------------------
                - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                Mars Colonizer Mission
                - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Originally posted by Bblue on 01-03-2000 02:45 AM
                  Maybe one of the more intellegent religious people here would give an answer to why they have choosen faith over science?

Well, how about this. Science does not offer any definite answers on the topic, remember, it IS called the "theory of evolution". By definition then, evolution is not proven. Neither is faith. I have never seen a dinosaur, nor have I seen an ape give birth to a human child, or a lizard grow wings and feathers. On the other hand, I have seen the workings of God in my own life and in the life of my family.

Whichever I choose, science or faith, it will be an impirical(sp?) evidence, not hard science. In my heart I *know* God *IS*, I can't prove it, but neither can you disprove it.

My answer may not be one that satisfies you, but it *does* satisfy me.

John-SJ

Comment

And how do you know for sure that the things that happened in your life are the workings of god?

The genes of a chimpanzee match for 99% those of humans. Doesn't that imply that apes and humans are someway related?
                    PS: And the existence of genes can be proved, god's not.

I know a priest who isn't creationist. He realizes that the bible is written in the 'second' (=not litteral), poetic language. Why he is religious, is because of the moral aspects of christianity. I don't have anything against such believers and beliefs. I even respect the man very much (and respect is hard to get from me). But why are there people who take everything litteral? Don't you know that it is symbolic?
                    [This message has been edited by M@ni@c (edited January 04, 2000).]

Comment

M@ni@c:

I will never have that proof, just as you will never have proof that they are not. The things that are seen (provable) require no faith, it is only the unseen that requires it.

I have faith in the unseen (unprovable) workings of God in the world, you (may or may not) have faith in the unseen (unprovable) workings of evolution.

So, my faith in God has enriched my life dramatically, I wonder if others can say the same?

John-SJ

P.S.

To at least give lip service to the topic of this thread, yes, (this) creationist/believer will buy/play Dinosaurs. Why wouldn't I?

Comment

"Why wouldn't I?"

Hell, because it's ****ing real-time!

Comment

"Why wouldn't I?"

BTW, I think I'll stop discussing in this topic. We're always saying the same things over and over again and we'll never change our opinion anyway (unless I suddenly hear some booming voice out of nowhere telling s/he's God (and if it can be proven it isn't a joke)).

Comment

Testing: ****pit. cockpit. In the Spartan Chronicles cockpit always appeared as ****pit.

Comment

Originally posted by M@ni@c on 01-04-2000 08:28 PM
                              "Why wouldn't I?"

LOL! Actually, I've played a few RTS games that were quite good, a recent one by Microsoft comes to mind. Though I DO prefer TBS games generally, Firaxis proved it's ability to produce an engaging RT game with Gettysburg! (IMO), so I'll more than likely pre-order Dinos just as I did with Gettysburg! and SMAC.

John-SJ

Comment

John-SJ: Well, how about this. Science does not offer any definite answers on the topic, remember, it IS called the "theory of evolution". By definition then, evolution is not proven. Neither is faith. I have never seen a dinosaur, nor have I seen an ape give birth to a human child, or a lizard grow wings and feathers. On the other hand, I have seen the workings of God in my own life and in the life of my family.

So what.

They still call pythagoras, pythagoras' theory, yet it is one of the basis' of geometry.

Quantam/Atomic theory is referred to as a theory, yet it is accepted across the board by physicists.

There are plenty of theories that are generally accepted yet are still theories.

------------------
                                - Biddles

Mars Colonizer Mission
                                - Biddles

Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Working...
                                X