Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how on earth do you go from dinosaurs to humans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how on earth do you go from dinosaurs to humans?

if dino is supposed to end in the begining of civ3, what exactly happens??????

Yeah, I mean suppose you do really good as the dinosaurs. Will Civ3 then be about dinosaur civilisation?
    VANGUARD

Comment

I personally think if a Dino pack survives, (you win the game) then Civ3, never happens. If the dinos die, then it allows the mammals to start forming civs.
      It's probably not the way they'll have it setup, but I think it's more logical.

[This message has been edited by Sophanthro (edited December 17, 1999).]

Comment

Maybe it is setup like warcraft 1 & 2. In warcraft 1 if you won as humans then you seal the portal and stop the orcs, which means W2 could never happen. So what happens when you play W2, is that it is assumed that orcs won in the previous game.

It could be assumed that dinos lose and you get to take over some humans, starting civ3.

------------------
        - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
        Mars Colonizer Mission
        - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
        Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

I agree that this develpoement is pretty odd.

Since I first read the "Something is evolving at Firaxis" note i had hoped that the game would be about evolution, so you would start out as some microbe and if you won you'd get an advanced civilization that dominated the earth. I never thougth the game would be restricted to dinosaurs.

Well, guess you can't get it all.

That dinogame is probably gonna be good anyway!
          "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
          - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

I guess there's just a 65-million year pause before CivIII.:-)

Mammals and Dinosaurs did evolve almost simultaneously, but the more robust Dinos dominated this planet until their extinction (unless one counts Birds as Dinos). Mammals did not develop into anything resembling Homo sapiens sapiens until about five million years ago.:-)

------------------
            St. Leo
            http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
            http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

My Hopes were along the same lines as The Joker.

Did anyway play that Civ-life scenario BTW.

It really helped me with my Biology. Tee Hee, so Civ *is* educational.

Comment

Maybe if you win with the dinosaurs, you get your evolved butts off the planet to let the runty mammals have a shot?

Wheathin

Comment

Maybe the aliens in Smax are evolved dinos.

Or maybe evolved winos.
                  VANGUARD

Comment

Actually...

Vanguard may have hit on the conection feature in the series.

The asteroid don't miss, you have a time cap, like all the civ games. Say you have to get your dinos to be intellegent before 66mya or so, that leaves them a million years to do the civ stuff and get off earth (which isn't included)

Civ III is the civ stuff with humans (duh ), but this time you have skipped the evolution part.

SMAC(II?) the Earthings meet for the first time. There are some WEAK possible connections. The last time Planet flowered was.. in the Mesozoic (not sure if it is more specific). Progenitor roughly means forefather. The Aliens do look 'dinoish' and they do lay eggs, but what do you do for 65 million years of off-time

Anyone else find any weak connections?

These early speculations are fun, but rarely correct

------------------
                    "Power does not corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

"Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

Comment

I find the dino-Progenitor connection really intriguing. I think it could be the missing link...
                      I have another possibility: if the asteroid missed, then maybe dinosaurs coexisted with the human ancestors. Each major group of animal is the equivalent of a "civ". All the dinosaurs are one "civ", all the flying creatures are a "civ", all the sea creatures are another "civ", and the pre-humans would be another "civ". You could play any "civ", but as a prequel to civ3, the player would control the pre-human "civ", with two possible victory conditions: conquest, where you must hunt the dinosaurs to extinction to become the dominant species, or an evolution victory where you must evolve into modern Man. Either way, it really fits nicely with the beginning od civ3. Humans are the dominant species, no dinosaurs, everything is set to start building a civilization.
                      What do say?

------------------
                      No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
                      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Well, perhaps at the end a little cutscene of an asteriod flying toward Earth?

Of course, that would really be a bad ending...
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I like the idea of having the game start with the asteroid 65 million years ago. This way the earth will be more or less empty, as 80 % of all life has been eliminated. It would be a new start, with no strong species. You would then pick a species (a dinospecies, some rat, birds etc) and head for intelligence. You would lead evolution, guiding whether to be a carnivor or a planteater, but you couldn't just expand like crazy, as that would destroy all food and so destroy yourself. So making yourself into a viscious carnivor wouldn't neccesarily be good as you would kill all prey.
                          "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
                          - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

Hi All,

I seem to remember a Star Trek Voyager where the crew of Voyager stumble upon a reptilian race. The main point about this episode was that the reptilian race turns out to be related to the dinosaurs of old Earth. Seems when the astroid hit, this species managed to survive in some remote location on Earth and develope into an advanced race. Once thy reached a certain level, thy built space ships and left the Earth forever and ended up in the Delta Quatrant. Think their may be a connection here?

Timothy Pintello

Comment

Yeah, the Voyager species allegedly evolved from Parasaurolopus (technically not the best candidate).:-)

------------------
                              St. Leo
                              http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                              http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X