How many times/When will they learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times/When will they learn?

Space is gone, no PBEM, no hotseat, no more than 8 players. So Activision is right on track for a Thanksgiving release.... of CTP1.

And you sheeple are going to let them fleece you again. Don't do it, rise up on your hind legs and tell them "Enough!" Look at the facts, look at their track record. Two patches, if your lucky. And don't forget that (in the U.S.) it's an election year, too! So Activision will promise you 2 chickens in every pot and you'll all bleat and get in line.

If you (that's right, I'm talking to you) don't stand up and say "No more", if you don't stop giving your money to unethical companies for shoddy products then shoddy products are all you (and I) will ever get. Don't believe me? Look at Windows.

The choice is yours.

------------------
    Big Dave

My karma ran over my dogma.
    Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

I guess it is worth a try. If it turns out good I'll stick with it!
    Damn Big Dave, you dont know if it will be bad. Maybe it will be great (though I have lost some faith in that sentence). Nevertheless every game is worth a try.
    If you dont try it, you dont know. If you dont know you cant say if its bad or not (doesnt work for all things though).

Ata

Comment

election year, huh?
      that totally opened my mind! you're right!
      down with activision!!

Comment

I will definity wait for some solid review before pouring out my money.
        ==========================
        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Big Dave, Thanks for saying what I feel much better than I have been able too. The difference between a great game and a mediocre game are all the minor features that mesh well toghter. As you said in another post, CTP2 is defined by all the minor features left out.

Comment

Ahhhhh yes! My people have spoken!

Big ups to Big Dave and all the other forum posters with their head on straight who have let Activison and their puppy dog, Mark G. know that we will not buy inferior products! Sing it in the mountains, boys! The fans come first and our feedback has obviously not been taken very seriously!

P.S. I don't work for Firaxis

Comment

quote:

posted June 10, 2000 13:12

City management screens...Woohoo! THANK YOU!

aside: anti ctp1? or anti Activision? heh, I boycotted all Activision games after ctp1 was
              released...that's how ripped off i felt. I'm still gonna test it before buying - but my
              boycott *seems* like it might end shortly

i think i spoke to quickly - they might be doing "it" again (i.e. pushing a release becasue of teh legal/business department with their heads up their @$$, rather than letting the progammers finish teh game properly. there are too many big holes that after civ I,II and smac were understood to have been granted additions/fixes. i am still boycotting, if anything the reviews have reminded me of my last mistake. i shall not make that one again! ::looks in wallet to see $40 less than what should be there, and nothing to show for it::

------------------
              "Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life [unless you are activision or microshaft, err -soft]."
              -Michael Sinz
              [This message has been edited by Nemo (edited October 31, 2000).]

Comment

The decision to have 8 civs would have been just that. A decision. I'm not sure that I like it, but I don't think that it's the result of them "pushing" the game out.

PBEM and hotseat....perhaps you're right.

Even still, I'm not going to hide away and say I won't buy the thing because you guys decide you're so eagerly against it. I can respect that you don't want to go down that track again, but I'm not going to be afraid to say I'll probably will buy it. And good luck to any others like me who decide (reviews pending) that they'll give it a shot.

If it turns out to be a dud, then I'll side with you guys in a month or so. Until then, I'm still happy to say I'll probably give it a go.

These anti-Activision threads always seem to come down to people who like the game being almost bullied. And I won't stand idly by!

------------------
                - MKL
                "And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
                Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday! All welcome.
                - mkl

Comment

I'm not so much anti-Activision as I am "fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." It's just looking like Activision is more concerned with their Christmas take than with producing a good product. I'll be the first to say that a company that isn't concerned with making money isn't going to be around long. OTOH, selling cotton candy isn't going to generate repeate customers. In case they don't have cotton candy where you are, it's spun sugar. It's all puffed up and pretty and comes in all different colors. It tastes nice and sweet, but if you try to take a bite there's nothing there.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this will be a great game, supported until the year 2525. And those of you who are buying when it comes out, I wish you well. Buy it at EBX or somewhere else that will let you return it within 30 days.

Oh, and BTW, would anyone in here loan me $5,000 U.S.? Probably not, right? Why? Because you don't know me, you have no idea whether or not I'm a good risk, or if I'll pay you back even if I can! Would you make that $5,000 loan to your best friend for a good cause? Of course you would. You have a history with them, you know them and what their likely to do in a given situation. Well, guess what. I've seen Activision in action with CTP last time around. And this looks like the 2nd verse will be the same as the first to me.

But I sure hope not, believe it or not. Competition is good for the marketplace. We, the consumer, benefit from it. If Firaxis is the only one making TBS games (in general) and Civ games (in specific) then they can release whatever trash they want to and we (the consumer) can either buy that, or do without. I like alot of the inovation that Activision has added to the basic Civ concept. But stripping down the code, especially after admitting that the CTP2 engine was only a slightly reworked CTP engine, is not the way to advance new products.

And as for listening to your customers, well, Activision is only batting about .300 on that. I mean, if I were a major automotive manufacturer, MyCarCo, and I have an engine that gives 400 HP at 75 MPG (city) but my seat design had a huge lump right in the middle of the back, would consumers buy my cars? The few who do buy go out and purchase after-market seats, but contact my Customer Service dept, but I refuse to change my seat design. Am I likely to get much repeat business? Would you buy from MyCarCo again?

You are being sold on hype (see also cotton candy). You have bought the sizzle, but I want the steak. So Activision, "Where's the beef"?

------------------
                  Big Dave

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 10-31-2000 04:57 PM
                    election year, huh?
                    that totally opened my mind! you're right!
                    down with activision!!

Ok, I forgot to put the smileys after that line, sorry.

------------------
                    Big Dave

Comment

BIG BAD DAVIE-POOH...~sigh~
                      Did Kharma run over your Dogma and You too?

Geez...If it would shud-uppa-your-a-face-a...I would gladly refund your money..I mean..You would have thought Activision had raped your kids monkey or something as heinous as that!
                      Man..I aint..repaeting LOUDLY..I aint Not ATTACKING YOU..I am merely trying my best Carmine Da-Hump meets Siggy Freud..and trying to give you some much need Lucy-from Peanuts Therapy..(Here I'll drop a quarter in the cup for you my Big Dave Buddy!)

I am jusst so confused and Befuddled and darn right scratchin my Big Rosey-Red a#@-Hole to figure..(Or as My hero Jethro Bodeine..from Beverly Hillbillies sez.."Ciphering")..but cannot for the life of me see why you feel activision funked - up the CTP:1 game..My game works just fine..play it 4-6 nights a week..love it..wish I could figure out how to right some codes..but maybe one day..~sigh~

My Brother Big Dave..(Ripping a coupon good for a free therapy session out of the back of the phone book)..lets talk sometime..Im sorry for the bad taste this game has left you old buddy!!

Take a D E E P BREATH..Let it out....s..l..o..w..l..y...now dont ya feel like a new man???

God Bless

Brother Bruce Cronkite

A.K.A. The Former Patton..the current Red October..

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tical_2000 on 10-31-2000 07:26 PM
                        Ahhhhh yes! My people have spoken!

Big ups to Big Dave and all the other forum posters with their head on straight who have let Activison and their puppy dog, Mark G. know that we will not buy inferior products! Sing it in the mountains, boys! The fans come first and our feedback has obviously not been taken very seriously!

P.S. I don't work for Firaxis

Mark..I have allways respected what you say and support Activision and Apolyton and think you do a great job..and I love Dogs..WOW!!..I didnt realize you were a Puppy?..~sneer~

BTW..CTP:1 is not an inferior Product...Its a GREAT GAME!!

(You would think it were a Heavy Bag or Speed Bag instead of a little 'ole harmless CD..The way people take CHEAP SHOTS AT IT!!!)

Comment

Dr. D - Wasn't his name Jethro Clampett?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 11-01-2000 11:17 PM
                            Dr. D - Wasn't his name Jethro Clampett?

Nope, it's Jethro Bodine played by Max Baer Jr.. I think Jethro was a cousin. But it's been a while. Confirmation on IMDB at http://us.imdb.com/Title?0055662

Pyaray

Comment

Ah.. Thats right! Sorry...

Comment

Working...
                              X