CTD on city mgr screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commie! Wha???

Actually, I played all night, and no problems. Only thing I did different was I didn't zoom out, but played at the starting zoom setting. I'll try more tomorrow.

If you get a chance and have the inclination, zoom out two clicks and play a few, making sure to access the city mgr often (I'd like to know if that, by some odd chance, is the issue).

Thanks.

Comment

When you tested it on Win95 was it the same graphics card/other hardware? Obviously win95 different drivers but it can be hard to find reliable drivers for CTP2 (or at least it was for me with nvidia) sometimes it can freeze, sometimes it can just drop out of the game, although this is less likely to be a graphics problem, it could still be.

Other things like, did you alt-tab at all before resuming playing when it crashed?

I played another 40-ish and tried my best to crash it but it just wouldnt have it.
      Attached Files
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Hi M,

No, no unusual alt-tabs or whatnot. I suppose there's a few other things to try (change resolution, sound, etc).

Since it's something that occurred on Win95 and XP with me, diff equipment too, there's got to be something I'M doing that's causing it, some setting I like. Humm....

Thanks for the help.
        Toro

Comment

I also have a CTD problem, but it isn't associated with me doing anything in particular (ie looking at a particular screen, hitting a particular button). I find it very aggravating, having to reload and use autosave, especially when I have to play the same turn over and over and over again.

I would tell you all my machine details, but the only thing I know is that I'm running ME. I am also using a mod (medmod), and have updated to 1.1. But the problem occured when I wasn't running a mod and before I used the patch.

Comment

Hi Mucker,

Hate to say it, but it could be ME.

BUT, in any case, oddly enough, my CTD has not reappeared in two full evenings' play. The ONLY thing I've done differently is not zoom out. (scratching my head...) I'll continue to "test"...

BTW, for those who've looked at my game, I've beaten the Romans. Forced them into capitulation (cease fire) after capturing five cities and laying waste to their naval power. Ah, the smell of victory...

Comment

The zooming out thing (if your sure it occurs then) is maybe associated with graphics drivers, especially with the CTP games. If you get frequent crashes at the same point id change your graphics drivers for a few days (downgrade if you have the newest), especially if you get crashes in other games or windows frequently.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Well, the CTD actually occurs when clicking on the City Manager Screen button. But... ever since I stopped zooming out (I used to play two steps zoomed out so I could see more of the play board) I have not had a single CTD.

Bug? Who knows. All I know is that now I can play this game without getting super frustrated because of crashes.

Thanks all for the assist and thoughts.

Comment

Though I don't have crashes with CtP2, the last one was identified and related to a diplomod 3.6 bug, I am quick saving the game very frequently (every turn) using the Ctrl+S keys and saving normally when I quit the game.

If you have a quick save, you can start back the game without losing a turn and try to Reloadslic. This last command is sometimes solving many problems.

Reminder:

hit '
                  Type /reloadslic
                  Press Enter
                  Press Enter again to close the chat window...
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Toro,

Your CTD could be linked to a graphic issue. One way to improve Windows' management of the older games is to disable the DirectDraw acceleration of DirectX.

The problem is I don't know where is the DirectX folder in WinXP.

Another thing that can help is the Hardware Acceleration* setting of your Graphic Card, lowering it one rank or more can help the older games to work better. You can also try to lower the acceleration setting until the problem stops (the lower settings will also disable the DirectDraw Acceleration).

*Not sure of the translation
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks, Tamerlin. I'll keep those in mind.

Regards!

Comment

If necessary you can also use the auto save, but be careful if you just discovered an advance you lose it and can research it again.

-Martin
                        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                        X