"Behind The Code": W. Lee (Part 1/2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Behind The Code": W. Lee (Part 1/2)

The first part of the first "Behind The Code" interview set, where ex-Activisioners talk with Apolyton CS' Locutus about the Call To Power series and in particular the second title in light of its pending source code release, is now online.

Winnie "St. Swithin" Lee was on the Civilization: Call To Power design team along with James Farley, Jason Feffer and Brad Santos. On Call To Power II, she worked alongside Dan Hagerty and Tony Evans. In looking back, she discusses the highlights and low points of her gaming career in relation to her work on CTP. Blacklisted by the industry for two-and-a-half years running, Lee discusses the good and bad of people and events around her, her positive outclook on the pending release of the Call To Power II source code and why she cannot play the games she worked so hard to contribute on.

The second and final part of the one-on-one chat with Lee will be posted on August 21st. Comments on the first instalment are welcomed in this thread.

---------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

nice

nevertheless I'd like to hear more info on the actual development of C:CTP and CTP2. What problems did they run into with the code? What were the worst limitations and work arounds?
    And finally what are the most basic things to consider when trying to work with the code? What is considered to be the "best" part of the CTP2 source?

ata

Comment

Thanks for that, to all involved .

I look forward eagerly to part 2 . You imply that there may be more such interviews - is that a certainty, or a hope?

Comment

Indeed id like to hear what they had planned if they had time to do everything they wanted with the game. (besides the bits that can already be found in the txt files)
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Very interesting And in some small way makes up for the 'pulled' chat from the other day
          Im sad that it appears St.Swithin was really roasted by the industry.....hmmm i think 'they' deserve a stars wars quote,
          'The more systems[people,customers etc] you squeeze in your grip, the more will slip through your fingers'.

We have a thing called the 'Internet' these days guys, so you should all remember that ancient saying,
          'What goes around, comes around'.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

dp
            Last edited by ahenobarb; August 8, 2003, 13:22.

Comment

Wouter.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Good Stuff, Good Stuff

Comment

As usual, a sad story of a game rushed out the door before it is completed, but based on the problems that Activision had at the time, they had to ship before Christmas to recoup their investment. So it is not suprising that when initial sales probably did not meet the goals, they pulled the plug.

That's business...the key words being that Activsion realized that 'development was unprofitable' to them.

I'm still amazed that CTP2 actually sold 750,000 copies. I was under the impression that it was 1/10 of that figure.

Either way it does not come close to the civ3 numbers. Stick Sid's name on a box and you are guaranteed 1,000,000 right off the bat.
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                  ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Winnie:

It is indeed a testament to the game that we have taken "your baby" and modified it. I for one stand and applaud the work you guys did. This game has had me keep coming back to it for 2.5 years now, and my fiance hates it, especially during the period I was writing SAP2 and WAW mods.

Thanks heaps.

Comment

Stick Sid's name on a box and you are guaranteed 1,000,000 right off the bat.

Well, Sid deserved it. Colonization, Civ 1, Pirates... masterpieces.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
                        [..]

You imply that there may be more such interviews - is that a certainty, or a hope?
                        It's a certainty.

----------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

cool Thanks to all.
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Wonderful Locutus and Dan

I eagerly await the next installment. Who are the other coders you are planning to inderview? I assume Ogre is one?

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                              [..] Who are the other coders you are planning to inderview?
                              Just wait and see...

-----------
                              Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
                              X