Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision response on UK CTP2

Activision have recently given us this response-

"CTP2 will be released in the UK on Dec 8th, 2002. The reason is we have to do all that difficult translating (changing 'harbor to harbour' took us 10 weeks) and the incredibly hard keyboard alterations, 2 WHOLE KEYS to change!

Plus our employees are too busy rolling around in money to do any kind of programming at the moment.

We realise how dissapointed you Brits must be, but we don't care, we have enough money already."

OK, I may have made it up a little....

------------------
    ...And if the British Commonwealth and its people live for a thousand years, man will still say "this was their finest hour"- Winston Churchill.

LOL!!!

Tops!

You've hit the nail on the head there, mate!

Activision: Kindly give us at least some token feedback - why 8th Dec?

Is it true? Do you not care about potential British and Continental customers? It seems that way to us.

Make an effort and answer us! We know you monitor the Apolyton forums. What sort of message does it give to the Brits and Continentals if you don't even answer simple queries from us?

All we ask is a post from someone at Activision redarding UK/Europe release dates, and the reason for the delays. You stand to make God knows how many £s liras, escudos, euros, from us all, SO TALK TO US, there's no excuse!

Get on with it - the U.S.A. isn't the entire world - we exist too.
    MSB

Comment

At this very moment in time hundreds of Activision employees are laughing at us.

Don't worry, I don't think they'll find the numerous car/ nail bombs I've planted so funny....

(By the way, I was kidding, no government agents after me please).

------------------
      ...And if the British Commonwealth and its people live for a thousand years, man will still say "this was their finest hour"- Winston Churchill.

Comment

I hope Activision isn't laughing at us.

Although perhaps a small chuckle wouldn't be out of order!

All we want is some bugger to explain the delay.

Activision: Why have you not been able to release CTP2 in the United Kingdom?

If releasing it now means we Brits have to live with you spelling 'Harbour' wrongly or whatever, I'm sure we could cope.

Just get back to us A.S.A.P., please.
        MSB

Comment

If you guys in the UK have to wait a few weeks for CTP2 to get to you, how long will it take for it to get here in Korea? Actually, for many games they just import the American version and translate the manual. After a year or so you sometimes get a fully Korean version of the game. Hey, maybe I should start a non-credit class at my university for learning computer game English!
          I beat the 'wait for my country's release' blues by ordering straight from Activision. Fed-Ex tracking service says it's arrived in Seoul and is now coming down the highway to Andong!!!
          By the way, I have the same gripes about harbor/harbour as you Brits (I'm from Newfoundland, Canada). When I write things like Language Centre on the board some student will always pipe up and say, "Umm, Marcus, you spelt 'center' incorrectly." I tell them only Americans and culturally modified Canadians spell like that.

------------------
          A civilisation is great when old men plant trees they will not live to sit under.
          Formerly known as Masuro.
          The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

"Culturally modified Canadians" - I love it!

I hope you get the game soon, mate.

When you do, perhaps you can post some of your views on it for us poor Europeans that still don't have the game, and who are waiting the Activision to stop faffing around.
            MSB

Comment

This is stupid.

Games companies rarely translate from US English (aka Pigeon English) to UK English, so they shouldn't have any reason to be so late, without giving us any news.

Is the game out in Australia yet?

I don't see why we should be treated like second-class citizens in the eyes of Activision.

Even the title 'Civilization' is spelt differently in the UK (Civilisation) but they don't translate that dp they?

------------------

Comment

The Eurogamer review (which gave CTP2 a 9/10) says the game is now available in the U.K. Maybe sent to the distributors but not yet distributed?

------------------
                A civilisation is great when old men plant trees they will not live to sit under.
                Formerly known as Masuro.
                The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

You may be right, Anatolia.

I'm going to check the stores on a daily basis, just in case you are.
                  MSB

Comment

So far as I know, CTP2 has not yet arrived in Australia. (I may be wrong on this, the national capital is something of a backwater). We too have to put up with American spelling. But at least UK English is a term that actually means something. Where on earth did Microsoft manage to invent "Australian English"? (I know, off topic. I'll stop there).

Chris Horscroft

Comment

Another offtopic bit, but...
                      "Canadian English"

As far as I know, we use standard English, with a lot of added "eh"'s(spoken only of course) and a more American accent. Standard English is, of course, what they speak in the UK, not this american stuff.

"It is pronounced "zed", not "zee", "zed"
                      -Joe Canadian
                      I don't care how many times you poke it, a bronze spear will not destroy a tank.

"Do you want sarcasm with that?" - Wally

Comment

Unless people go to a special effort of getting it shipped or perhaps going through EB, I don't believe anybody will have it in Australia until Monday.

------------------
                        - MKL
                        "And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
                        Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
                        - mkl

Comment

Unfortunate news for all Brits/Continentals.

I asked again in EB Bracknell, Berkshire today and...

The release date is 8th of December.

This is the most likeley reason why Activision won't reply on this topic. I guess that they don't have a valid excuse for such a long delay ( almost a month!!!)

As if UK English is so complicated.

Dissapointed, not to say the least.

Who can wait for two more weeks???

Some say that patience is a virtue... that we unfortunatley have to exercise

Comment

The only "valid" reason I can think of is that they want to patch it for us before release. That's so considerate of them..... Personally I'd rather have it now and download a patch later, but thats me.

BTW, Z is pronounced "Zee" so that it rhymes when you recite it.

abcdefg.
                            hijklmnop.
                            qrstuv.
                            wxy and z.

Only in America....
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I doubt the European/Australian version of CTP2 will have any improvement over the US version- Patching it up just for us is unlikely, they think we're second class citzens.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X