Map Settings: Land Mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Settings: Land Mass

What, on a scale from 0 to 10, should the size of the Land Mass be? (0 = Ocean, 10 = Land)
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    10.53%
    15.79%
    15.79%
    31.58%
    21.05%
    0.00%
    5.26%
    Don't know/Don't care/Banana/Strawberry/Lemur
    0.00%
    Last edited by Locutus; October 24, 2002, 11:28.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

This is a tricky one... Mainly because the AI seems to lack a decent sense of sea travel. I think mostly land to keep thing interesting.

Comment

Argh, I f*cked up my vote. Good thing I'm a mod, so I can fix it before too many people noticed

Comment

I am used to a little land (2), in the third tourny game we saw that very less land is too less for an interesting game, but too much land would make ships uninteresting as even if you chose 100% island the islands will be linked in the end. Therefore a value in the middle of the eleven values should be good. So my vote goes for 5.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

"Kill a man and you are a murder.
          Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
          Kill all and you are a God!"
          -Jean Rostand

Comment

I voted 6 but seven shall be fine
            GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

7 is always a good number (bar the dwarfs)
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Sorry. Left my sea legs in my other suit. 7.
                If something doesn't feel right, you're not feeling the right thing.

Comment

somewhere in the middle 5 i guess and vote

Comment

7, same as our nice planet we are doomed on

Comment

8 mainly because the AI handles land warfare better.

But on the flipside, naval warfare is a lot more work to pull off.

BTW, after all of the settings are decided on, Locutus should post a couple random maps (minimapos would be fine too) with those settings to give everyone a feel for what the final map will be like.
                      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

hex,
                        Yeah, I was planning to post at least 1 or 2 test games, so people could test if they had gotten the mod-setup to work correctly. The fact that this would provide some insight into the map settings did also occur to me. I'll see what I can do...

Comment

well, i'm not so sure about this.
                          although i like to have an influence on the way the map looks, thats not very historic. i mean, it took a long time, till most people agreed on the shape of the world for example. though most people agreed before the vatican

Comment

I'm not gonna post the actual map we'll play on, but I'll start a bunch of games on the same settings. These settings can still produce very different maps. When it comes to the map, it's IMHO far more important to know that it will provide interesting gameplay that to not have a clue on how big the continents will be, etc... When it comes to actually playing, the exact layout of terrain types, location of opponents and location of goods/goody huts is what really matters, not the number and size of continents and the diversity of terrain that you're likely (but not guaranteed) to have.

But you do have something of a point, so I'll at least not post any screenies or whatever on the forums, I'll at least have people follow a link or only post savegames. We need a test-game anyway (the Succession Games proved the value of this), so the savegames are unavoidable, it's just a matter of how many I'll post and whether or not I'll post screenshots (and if I only post 1 or 2 games, people can easily generate their own test games, so it's not like not posting them would prevent people from accessing the information).

Comment

Working...
                            X