Download the Super Apolyton Pack 2 Unit Updater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download the Super Apolyton Pack 2 Unit Updater

This download includes English, German and French versions of the Unit Updater.

This slic file allows you to update some of your current units when you discover a new technology. You can only upgrade your units in the turn you have discovered the said technology, if you don't update them or if you only update part of your units you won't be able to do it later in the next turns (I would have liked it to be possible but I don't have the lesser idea on how to achieve this ).

For each updated unit you will have to pay the production cost of the new unit in gold. You would thus have to pay 10000 gold to update 10 machine gunners to marines.

Remember the AI civilizations will also use the updater.

The main goal I had in mind with the updater was to get rid of the necessity to build new units and move them throughout my empire in order to replace the older units scattered on the map, a process I found painful in the later part of the game when you have many cities and units. This explains why I have not increased the cost needed to upgrade the units as I would like it to be rather easy. If you think these costs are too low you can edit the APOL_Updater.slc and increase them. You can also play with the govern.txt file in your CtP2 folder and increase the Unit Rush Buy costs in order to lower the gold resources of the human player (as suggested by Hexagonian in the thread I posted in the Apolyton CtP2 Forum before converting the cradle updater).

The readme included in the zip file repeats the preceding sentences, details the installing process and gives to the "non-slic litterates" like me the datas they need to alter the APOL_Updater.slic to suit their needs.

Note: the APOL_main_str.txt included in the zip file only corrects three pronouns which are typical remnants of the "cut and paste" method we all use. If the Super Apolyton Pack 2 is correctly installed in your computer you don't need to replace your current APOL_main_str.txt file with the one included in this zip. Unless you prefer the corrected message to be displayed instead.

I have wrongly deleted the attachment, you will find the file to download four posts farther.
    Last edited by Tamerlin; January 15, 2003, 22:24.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

What did you change on the APOL_main_str.txt, so that the English version needed do be included in the *.zip file?

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
      What did you change on the APOL_main_str.txt, so that the English version needed do be included in the *.zip file?

-Martin
      I corrected three pronouns in the message displayed when you only have one unit to update. "Them" was used instead of "it".

I should have mentioned it in the readme.

Initial post edited to include your comment Martin, thanks!
      Last edited by Tamerlin; January 12, 2003, 13:26.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Well in this case you should also include the German version of the file. I found some mistakes in it and I forgot to translate one sentence.

-Martin
        Attached Files

Comment

The Super Apolyton Unit Updater Download is here (including English, German and French versions):
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tamerlin; January 12, 2003, 18:16.

Comment

Has anyone used the APOL_Updater.slc so far?

I would be glad to hear some comments, be them nice or bad...

Does anyone has an idea on how the Unit Updater could be modified in order to allow for the upgrade of units after the turn following the technological discovery?

Would it be possible to create a new unit order called "Upgrade"?

The cost of an upgrade could thus be highly increased and considered as an alternative to building new units.

Comment

Hi, Tamerlin

I'm working on a new version of the Updater that will allow you to update units after you've obtained the advance. Actually, it's pretty well done: just needs a bit more debugging.

Here's the write-up from my Great Library:

Certain advances will allow you to update some of your military units. For example, researching iron working will allow you to update your Warriors to Legions.

1) When you get the advance. At this point you have the option of updating land units that are in cities or forts, sea units that are in cities, or air units that are in cities or airbases. There is a cost involved and if you don't have enough gold you won't be able to update your units.

2) Using the 'Sleep' button. To update units that are still obsolete because they weren't in the proper location or you couldn't afford it, you can move them to a city (or fort, or airbase) and press the 'Sentinel' button. You'll then get a message asking if you want to update the unit. This procedure can be automated.
              Also, when you get the advance, instead of just being able to run through your units in only one direction, I've fixed it so you can go back and forth. See the attached screenshot.

When it's finally debugged, you'll be able to paste your data arrays straight into it. But there's a couple of other things you'll have to adjust too. I'll give you a hand with them when it's ready.

Peter
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peter,

I would like to thank you for the unit updater it greatly eases the flow of the game and removes what I considered as one of the last flaws of CtP2.

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                I'm working on a new version of the Updater that will allow you to update units after you've obtained the advance. Actually, it's pretty well done: just needs a bit more debugging.
                This is an excellent news, when do you think it will be ready?

I am really eager to use such a wonderfull tool.

When it's finally debugged, you'll be able to paste your data arrays straight into it. But there's a couple of other things you'll have to adjust too. I'll give you a hand with them when it's ready.
                As soon as it is ready I convert it to the Super Apolyton Pack 2.

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 15, 2003, 22:25.

Comment

Peter, I am sorry that you havent seen this code i have done befor

But i have already accomplished the unit updater after the advance granting.

It works when you fortify an army in one of your cities if the army has a obsolete unit it upgrades it. If it does you get a message asking you to upgrade it. The idea was create a new order button rather than fortify one. Although the fortify can be pretty annoying but works nicely.

The code was based on yours old one (same functions and events used, the unit from army scroling and saving unit type in tmp global variable, etc...). Although it is unrecognizebly. A whole new work. I remember i have told you that i was working on that and i just needed the original game unit which has been finished by Tamerlin.

Anyway here it is the strings are in the message.txt file. It only conatins the messages for the updater.

I am sorry to hear we have worked in paralel, Peter.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pedrunn; January 17, 2003, 11:29.
                  "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                  Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                  Kill all and you are a God!"
                  -Jean Rostand

Comment

Hi Pedrunn,

Originally posted by Pedrunn
                    Anyway here it is the strings are in the message.txt file. It only contains the messages for the updater.
                    I have translated the newupdater strings, do I have to create a new APOL_newupdater_str.txt file and activate it in the APOL_Strings.txt (english folder) and in the APOL_gamefile.txt (default folder, actually I don't know if this file must be changed) or can I simply copy and paste the new strings in the APOL_main_str.txt (english folder for the original file, french folder for the translated strings)?

Comment

Newupdater problem with OK string

I have incorporated the newupdater into the Apolyton Pack installed in my computer.

I renamed your file APOL_newupdater.slc and enabled it in the APOL_main.slc located in the default folders.

I then added the new strings into the APOL_main_str.txt in the English and French folders and tried to run the game. When it loaded the slic and their corresponding strings it generated a string error as the CtP2 program was unable to find the OK string (needed for the OK button) in the string DB.

I added OK "Yes" in the English and French APOL_main_str.txt files and the game loaded successfully.

I didn't have the time to test your New Updater (as I was busy trying to solve this problem) but I will post a feedback as soon as I have.

By the way, is it necessary to add the new strings into the APOL_slicstrings.txt in the language folders?
                      Last edited by Tamerlin; January 16, 2003, 21:53.

Comment

I added yhe OK string, still i dont believe there is no ok button in CTP2 original game
                        BTW, Tamerlin the best translation is "Ok" or "Close". Once you test it you will see that "yes" just dont fit.
                        "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                        Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                        Kill all and you are a God!"
                        -Jean Rostand

Comment

Originally posted by Pedrunn
                          I added yhe OK string, still i dont believe there is no ok button in CTP2 original game
                          BTW, Tamerlin the best translation is "Ok" or "Close". Once you test it you will see that "yes" just dont fit.
                          OK, I have been confused by the fact there is also an EXIT button which is often translated as "close" in french as far as computer programs are concerned.

Can I post the APOL_newupdater on the Forum as soon as I have tested it? It will be credited to you of course.

Btw, is it necessary to add the new strings into the APOL_slicstrings.txt in the language folders?

Comment

The is not only one ok button in the game there are severals here are two strings I found in the GM1_ldl_str.txt (German version):

BUTTON_CLOSE "OK"
                            BUTTON_OK "OK"

So the ok button is there to use it in slic code just use just add an ID_ in fron of BUTTON_ and the other string names. Like this:

ID_BUTTON_OK "OK"

So no additional string is needed for the game.

-Martin

Comment

I started a new game with the updater, but it never asked me to update any units? I was playing the Super Apol Pack with Good Mod, it the updater only good for the regular Super Apol Pack?

Comment

Working...
                              X