No announcement yet.

Snoopy's Terrain For Ctp2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here is a test of the new Ekmek terrain. My tiles were large and I assumed that the old ctp2 borders would show up even though I didnt have the black spots on the file, but it looks like it didnt. How do I get the borders to show up to smooth out the terrain?

I didnt make any changes to the tile file script (I'm using IW tikefile from the downloads section to chane terrain by the way).

I'm not making changes to the beach or water tiles.
    Attached Files
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

another test shot, still the square tile prob on my homemade swamps and in the tundra....

Anyhow I think this terrain will look nice and attract some people after the source code comes out.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good work . The mountains look a little wierd, and the swamps too, but I like the rest - the forests especially.

As for getting the borders working... If you only altered the terrain graphics and not the border graphics or any of the rules, then I don't know. Perhaps someone else can help, and it would probably be more likely if you posted the tile file (or rather, uploaded it somewhere, because I'm fairly sure it's too big to post).

Comment

Just noticed that the swamps are home-made - sorry I was so quick to criticise them. I think they're growing on me now - the first swamp I can ever recall showing water in them so obviously, which does make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by E
            Ok here is a test of the new Ekmek terrain. My tiles were large and I assumed that the old ctp2 borders would show up even though I didnt have the black spots on the file, but it looks like it didnt. How do I get the borders to show up to smooth out the terrain?
            You need to keep the black spots in. Then they go transparent. If you set up a blank image with just the four corner triangles and the black spots in it, then paste it tranparently over each tile image, it should be fairly easy to get them back again.

Once you've done that, they'll look pretty cool Is there any way to get the mountains more varied? It looks like they're only using one or two images in there.
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The forests, hills and swaps look very cool

As IW the mountains could use some variation tough.

Overall a good piece of work
              "Between nations, as between persons, respect for each other's rights is peace".- Benito Juárez.

Comment

Hmm. Maybee I should add a border-cutout function to TileEdit. This would make cutting out borders a bit easier. But on the other hand coppy paste is quite straight forward as it is, so unless someone realy needs it I'll wait untill we figure out the full meaning of the last block.

Btw. nice terrain.
                Martin the Dane
                Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Thanls for the input guys. Thanks for the word o the black borders, it'll take some work but I'll throw them in.

Yeah the mountains need work, fortunately I got several differnt sets to work with. So I'll be varying it. My swamps will need a little work to I think.

I've done a few improvement updates too, so I'll work on the changes and then post a new shot. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Very nice! I actually like the mountains
                    I think they just look a bit uniform cause of the raised height? Hmmm I can see two different types of tall mountain, both quite different, so maybe a third or fourth with subtle changes might 'un-uniform' them abit?I'm Not sure how many were in the origional game?
                    But looks great overall - im sure alot can be done in this area of the game
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Status report (if anyone cares) I've been going through the tiles adding the black borders and I really cant call this Snoopy terrain anymore since its a mix of Snoopy, CTP2 original, Firaxis, Telgars Civ3 trees, and my own stuff. (J Bytheway I've changed the swamps too, its basicaly CTP2 swamps but with trees added for a swampier look).

I've basically gone through and separted all the tiles by terrain type and put them in folders and going through each tile and changing them to make sure they are not unfiorm and they hhave the right borders, I'm making a lot of progress I have swamps, forests, jungles, hills done. Whats left is mountains, desert mountains, snow mountains, plains, grassland (coast and water wont be touch, those are about 100 tiles each!)

I have Question about transparancies, I havent tested it but before I go through or jack up the game I notice when I load a tile that you pick transparency colors, will these affect the black borders I've added?

Martin the Dane Tile Edit Feature Request. If you are looking for a suggestions to add to the tile edit, I'd just suggest these (they arent crucial and Tile edit is great!)

1) a feature to just add the black border to the graphic after a new one is loaded.
                      2) maybe a cut and paste feture so you can take from the clip board and paste into the picture in tile edit, it would just speed up the process a bit.
                      3) it might be my settings but when i open the edit->add window it has scroll bars each time so I have to scroll to find ok instead of it just opening to a full window.
                      4) for the adding feature may be a previous shot and then a loaded picture setup, just because ive had to double check that i'm replacing the last one.
                      5) maybe a label feature that tells what terrain type the tile is.
                      Again tile edit is great and these are not necessary but incase you were loking to add some new stuff. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by E
                        I have Question about transparancies, I havent tested it but before I go through or jack up the game I notice when I load a tile that you pick transparency colors, will these affect the black borders I've added?
                        I keep trying to answer, but I really can't remember. Once you load the game I'm sure you'll find out though I think the borders should be the same colour as the main background of the image. If that's black as well, you're ok. If its the horrible grey colour, then you might need to replace one or other so they match.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The "black cotout-borders" must be black, that's a CTP thing. The transparancy coler does not matter, you can even use black if you like. The transparant parts of the tiles (except the cutout) is not stored in the tile file as a color but as a code. Same goes for the shadow color.

E: I am trying to add an automatic cut-out system to the image loading routeen, but it has proved a little more complicated than I'd first expected.
                          As for the rest of your suggestions, I'll answer that in the TileEdit thread.
                          Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                          Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Okay I finished the mountains and snow mountains last night. I'm attaching three images from some cheat mode shots. I added these snow mountains in to show that there is a slight prob and you can see it on the edge of a mountain. I copied all the borders and no borders when applicable but this still popped up. Also I copied a lot of different mountain types (12 I think) but it looks like the games only uses 5 or 6 and doesnt allow for much variation. Anyone know which ones the game uses?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Problem 2

I used CTP2 TGAs as a base and as you can see on the edge of these forests it looks brownish on the borders. Anyone run into this before? Is it a border's graphic, a problem with my border transparency, or should I just go cover it up.
                              Attached Files

Comment

these are my new swamps based on ctp2 graphics but with trees.

Also notice how the hills look all the same in my shots, I redid 8 hills graphics but it looks like the game uses only 1. Is there a way to fix that?

Anyone have any comments, help, etc on these shots?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X