No announcement yet.

Snoopy's Terrain For Ctp2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maq, good work on that stuff. I've change most of mine to the format you said (the exercise here is keeping me real busy). Will be posting stuff in about a week. I hope to knock out most of what you need. But I saw you wanna go without borders. I'll try to copy the SEVERAL transition tiles Civ3 uses and is what they give for a more earth like look (they are mix tiles with smooth boundaries and have file names like xggc.pcx).

1) Can you get the computer to use these maybe how the randomizer works have it pick a certain set of tiles?

2) have you tried any of the improvement tiles I made, I think they will help too.

later
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

No, i do want to use borders, it was just an idea for much more detailed and random looking terrain, i havent tried it yet. Leave the borders until the very end though. As you can see in the upper right hand corner of the screenshot, i already made a few borders for the plains tile, it molds pretty nicely.

1. To make terrain without using any borders, involves deleting all/most of the borders from the tile file OR making them invisible somewhere. Then define LOTS of rules to each tile, (that would increase to about 400 tiles) then when it generates the map it would place each terrain next to the terrains it was told to be next to.

I imagine that this would create slightly boring pattern though, it may need a couple of borders somewhere to create variation.

2. Yeah ive looked at them, they look pretty good. I think its best to do all the terrains first, although if you get bored with making the terrain sometimes (i know i do) switch and mess with the tile imps. They can be done too.

Im a little preoccupied with my scenario at the moment, i usually switch jobs every so often, but it all gets done eventually.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Ok, I've been busy in the war room but now that the exercise is over I cranked hard to finish these TGAs. I put all of the snOOpy ones, plus winter ones and extra snOOpy ones from PTW and even quick crafted some swamp tiles, also added stuff for tile improvements, no changes to beaches or water tiles. There are 80 tiles here!, some I figure will have to be duplicated for CTP2 use or use some from other projects (like Pendrunn's new beaches).

Maq if you gotta the time, feel free to make them part of your tile project, I dont know jack about tile edit to make a .til file. thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thats good work E, so far theres about 50 id wanna use

Can you also take a look at the PTW WW2 Units Flc's thread if you have time? I need someone to post those flcs for me.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Maq,
            I uploaded a bunch of the WW2 flcs. hope they help. Any luck with putting any of these files into some ctp2 terrain? no rush...

Comment

Not as yet, i do plan to use some of the tile imps in my scenario's tile file. Its reaching beta stage now so i can carry on work on the civ3 tile file again pretty soon. Thanks for the Flcs no rush with those either, unit sprite making is a long process.

Comment

Maq,

I was wondering if you looked how tile borders are done. They look very square and I was wondering if that shape is the only way they can be. What I'm thinkking is that, like the civ3 mixed tiles make the edges smoother and higher and lower in some areas. I dont have a way to test it out but just wondering if you know anything about this.

Comment

I have wondered about it, but i figured the only way to make it appear like this is by making a sort of jigsaw on the tiles, but with the right combination of tiles next to each other, it would look like the tile is less square because it would "invade" more into another square but still be recognizable as its own square.

Borders have to be the size and shape they are, although borders dont have to be used at all, but that requires alot of rules to make sure the tiles fit together where and when they should (this is how beach tiles work). If you experiment with that its probably best to change one rule at a time then test to see the outcome.

Excuse my painful example. I dont think you coud overlap as much as this into beach tiles (for naval units movement), but the land tiles you could go almost half way into another land tile as long as it was recognizable.

Green - grassland, Yellow - plains, Blue - beach tiles w/ sea.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by E
                    Maq,

I was wondering if you looked how tile borders are done. They look very square and I was wondering if that shape is the only way they can be. What I'm thinkking is that, like the civ3 mixed tiles make the edges smoother and higher and lower in some areas. I dont have a way to test it out but just wondering if you know anything about this.
                    The reason why the tile borders look very square is that they just did one border and mirrored all the other ones. Fact is that also all the mirrored versions are saved in the tile file. So you can do every border tile differend so that they aren't mirrored versions. The result would be less square borders.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Maq are you still around? Any luck using any of the tifs I made? or has anyone tried?

Comment

Its been a long time i dont have CtP2 installed even at the moment with work and stuff i only have time for playing, if that I still have all the work you did on cd backup but its on freeze at the moment.

If someone could do the big work of putting in the tiles id test them and help with artwork but i dont think i could do the inputting at the moment.

Comment

I know I've been sitting on this, but I'm still thinking bout the border issue. What I'm going to work on is to make the borders using some other graphics so it will make the terrain more 3-d. Like in some cases there will be cliffs (like using the graphics from AoK) and plains will "sit" lower than grasslands since I'll try to creatively cut and paste the sides of hills and make them look like slopes etc. Not promising to much, but my big thing I'm still not clear on.

The tgas that are all the strange colors that the game uses, do I have to change my tiles to those colors if so how?

Comment

The tgas that are all the strange colors that the game uses, do I have to change my tiles to those colors if so how?
                            Thats the in-game colour mode, it will generate that when you put them into tileview so you dont need to edit it to those colours.

Comment

No you don't have to change the colors, TileEdit does that for you. It can handle both types of TileFiles, and convert colors from one format to the other, so just use the standard colors, but remember to import them in the right format. If you (or Maq) import into an in-game colored .til file, make sure the "In-Game Color Mode" menu item is checked.

Btw. if you or anyone else need to convert tgas between the two formats outside of the game, I have a util somwhere that can do it, but I'll have to dig for it.

Martin the Dane
                              Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                              Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

I guess I'm a slow learner but how do I put my new graphics in place of the old ones? Thewre is no replace function so how do I get my TGAs into a tile file?

Comment

Working...
                                X