No announcement yet.

Chariot Sprite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it and it's going up as I type. The great Morgoth has returned with a vengence in this his first CTP2 sprite. Gotta love the TD

Rich

Comment

David, what are you talking about, "The pieces are just about in place for me."?

To make Ctp1 pics, you have to use a screen-capture program. I played the videos using Media Player, and captured the specific image I wanted. I think they turned out better then the originals in some instances. The only draw-back is that, as far as I know, you can't readily transfer them to the Ctp2 background.

Comment

Dave's got a nice little scenario going... all hush hush and stuff It's 5.8 megs... and based mainly in the ancient starting around 7000BC... it sounds great and when he gets it ready and tested a little it'll find it's way to the db... but first he needed the chariot

Rich

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B on 01-28-2001 08:48 PM
          I'm definately with you Stef, but you can find lots of these in the world war II graphics pak here on apolyton.
          As for myself, i'd want some middle age units such as spaerman or swordmen, the sorta things in AOK. The napoleos are definately key too.
          Also, if anyone could post the tgas for th CTP1 units anywhere, you'd be very popular.

I know that some of my suggestions are already included in the WW2 pack. Excpet they are not fully animated, and not always scaled well. Look at the truck : it has only one facing!
          I'm currently using theses sprites for my mode, but they are not as good as some others...

Comment

I appreciate this greatly, tom, but I was hoping for a sort of scythe chariot, with serrated wheels and an armored warrior with a big spear or sword. I hope someday you get around to a Assault Chariot unit.
            -CB
            "It is ridiculous claiming that video games influence children. For instance, if Pac-Man affected kids born in the 80's we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms and eat pills while listening to monotonous electronic music."

Comment

Why an Assault Chariot? The scythed chariots used occasionally by late Achaemenid Persians and some Diadochi were strictly one-time-use weapons: the driver aimed them at the enemy and jumped before contact! (Treat them as Ancient Cruise Missiles?). The most common chariot is the one we got a (simplified) sprite for: a missile-platform to harass and soften up enemy infantry with thrown javelins or archery before your own infantry goes in. The only other major variety of chariot was the infantry carrier: the Celts of Britain, especially, used the chariot to get them rapidly to some spot where they could jump off, fight, and jump back on and get away in a hurry.
              If you were to concentrate on the period of Chariot Warfare (roughly 2800BC to 50BC) you'd have three types:
              Missile Platform
              Scythed 'cruise missile'
              Organic Personnel Carrier (OPC)
              Possible variations would be the Indian 4-horse chariot with 4 - 5 crewmen - mostly spear chuckers and archers with separate shield-holders, it was an attempt to get a chariot big enough to carry as many men as an elephant could - ended up being as slow as an elephant, and much, much more clumsy. Other variation would be the Chinese chariots, with crossbowmen and shield-carriers in them.
              All chariots were horribly vulnerable to regular horsemen. The chariot (especially the light 2-horse models) could be as fast as cavalry, but was always out maneuvered by cavalry and if the horsemen get behind the chariot, the men in the chariot are completely unprotected. Every chariot army that went up against cavalry got chewed up and spat out in short order.
              Therefore, whatever factors you allow for chariots, jack up the horseman's factors against them. Last point: chariots are expensive. Records from the Bronze Age Enpires (Egypt, Hittites, Myceneans) indicate that chariot gear and parts were a major item of expense, both to obtain and to maintain. Think about it: you not only need 2+ horses per chariot, but they have to be trained to work as a team, not just one on one with a rider: costs time and money to do that. Plus the chariots themselves were, for the time, sophisticated machinery: harness, metal-tired spoked wheels (balanced, too!) and lots and lots of weapons - chariots regularly carried extra javelins, bows, masses of arrows. All this was far more munitions than required to equip the same number of men on foot, so chariots were almost always the Elite of the Army to justify the expenses.

Comment

Simply stunning...

I'm a happy camper!
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Thanks for the sprite. Also thanks for the information on its use and cost. i was wondering what it should cost to build and mantain.

Comment

Working...
                  X