No announcement yet.

CTPEd 0.5.0beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the memory usage, I wasn't able to find a program that gives me the total number of memory used, but I used the Windows System Ressource Monitor. I could monitor how much memory was used, and the unit.txt used indeed much. I open a window of that file that took one five or one fourth of my system ressource, maybe M$ means here memory. I open another file of units.txt for comparison and it used again such memory, afterwards I closed the window the memory was not freed until I closed or better CTPEd closed, actual not very user fiendly if the whole program closed just, because it can't open a file.

For the memory use it could be reduced if not all entries are shown that would also help so you can edit only the important stuff.

For the comparison, I thought of something like you did for the list of the items but now for the fields, something like an icon in front of such an entry.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Update v0.5.3

Updated to v0.5.3. Update at:

Unzip over the installed version. Again, this will reset your preferences to defaults (unless you select not to extract default.prf, which is safe so long as you're updating v0.5.0 or later).

New in this version:

- Added the capability to create an ini file if it is missing
      - Updated Readme.txt and CTPEd.txt
      - Added a better dialog to replace the 'Export all files now?' messagebox
      - Save paths in project files as relative paths to provide portability of project files
      - Generally tidied the method of writing project files so that they are legible if you open them in a text editor
      - When you do a comparison, the controls pertaining to the differing fields are highlightedby having their text in italics

Martin: I think this addresses some of your problems, including a comment you made a very long time ago about the message you get when you close CTPEd (at least to a certain extent), but not the memory issue.

With regards to the memory:
      I was checking and on my machine loading units.txt requires only 1 or 2 MB of page file, so I think there might be something more complicated going on here than just shortage of memory. What version of Windows are you running, because I was having problems with 95, but am not with XP...

When you say "not all entries are shown" I assume you mean fields, in which case it's already possible to not show some of them (with the 'Hide Disabled Controls' option in preferences), and I was hoping to allow hiding more of them (the ones which are irrelevant, like Branch in advance.txt) but they are still there, and in memory, just not visible, so that's not really helpful. In addition, when you close the editing window it is only hidden, not unloaded, which is why you don't get the memory back until you close CTPEd. This is a holdover from my original design when I assumed there would be no memory problems and optimised for speed, but unfortunately it would be difficult to change now.

Comment

Re: Update v0.5.3

Originally posted by J Bytheway
        With regards to the memory:
        I was checking and on my machine loading units.txt requires only 1 or 2 MB of page file, so I think there might be something more complicated going on here than just shortage of memory. What version of Windows are you running, because I was having problems with 95, but am not with XP...
        Windoze 98, and I won't buy a patch for something like 150 or was it 250 Euros.

Originally posted by J Bytheway
        When you say "not all entries are shown" I assume you mean fields, in which case it's already possible to not show some of them (with the 'Hide Disabled Controls' option in preferences), and I was hoping to allow hiding more of them (the ones which are irrelevant, like Branch in advance.txt) but they are still there, and in memory, just not visible, so that's not really helpful. In addition, when you close the editing window it is only hidden, not unloaded, which is why you don't get the memory back until you close CTPEd. This is a holdover from my original design when I assumed there would be no memory problems and optimised for speed, but unfortunately it would be difficult to change now.
        For hiding fields I'd like to be able to decide which field should be hidden, for instance if I modify the govern.txt and I am only interested in these fields:

RationsExpectation -1
        WorkdayExpectation -1
        WagesExpectation -1

I'd like to be able to hide the rest of the fields.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
        X