• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Gühmann
    replied
    Re: Update v0.5.3

Originally posted by J Bytheway
    With regards to the memory:
    I was checking and on my machine loading units.txt requires only 1 or 2 MB of page file, so I think there might be something more complicated going on here than just shortage of memory. What version of Windows are you running, because I was having problems with 95, but am not with XP...
    Windoze 98, and I won't buy a patch for something like 150 or was it 250 Euros.

Originally posted by J Bytheway
    When you say "not all entries are shown" I assume you mean fields, in which case it's already possible to not show some of them (with the 'Hide Disabled Controls' option in preferences), and I was hoping to allow hiding more of them (the ones which are irrelevant, like Branch in advance.txt) but they are still there, and in memory, just not visible, so that's not really helpful. In addition, when you close the editing window it is only hidden, not unloaded, which is why you don't get the memory back until you close CTPEd. This is a holdover from my original design when I assumed there would be no memory problems and optimised for speed, but unfortunately it would be difficult to change now.
    For hiding fields I'd like to be able to decide which field should be hidden, for instance if I modify the govern.txt and I am only interested in these fields:

RationsExpectation -1
    WorkdayExpectation -1
    WagesExpectation -1

I'd like to be able to hide the rest of the fields.

-Martin

Leave a comment:

• J Bytheway
    replied
    Update v0.5.3

Updated to v0.5.3. Update at:
    http://ctpmodmakers.250free.com/JBTW/CTPEd053.zip

Unzip over the installed version. Again, this will reset your preferences to defaults (unless you select not to extract default.prf, which is safe so long as you're updating v0.5.0 or later).

New in this version:

- Added the capability to create an ini file if it is missing
    - Updated Readme.txt and CTPEd.txt
    - Added a better dialog to replace the 'Export all files now?' messagebox
    - Save paths in project files as relative paths to provide portability of project files
    - Generally tidied the method of writing project files so that they are legible if you open them in a text editor
    - When you do a comparison, the controls pertaining to the differing fields are highlightedby having their text in italics

Martin: I think this addresses some of your problems, including a comment you made a very long time ago about the message you get when you close CTPEd (at least to a certain extent), but not the memory issue.

With regards to the memory:
    I was checking and on my machine loading units.txt requires only 1 or 2 MB of page file, so I think there might be something more complicated going on here than just shortage of memory. What version of Windows are you running, because I was having problems with 95, but am not with XP...

When you say "not all entries are shown" I assume you mean fields, in which case it's already possible to not show some of them (with the 'Hide Disabled Controls' option in preferences), and I was hoping to allow hiding more of them (the ones which are irrelevant, like Branch in advance.txt) but they are still there, and in memory, just not visible, so that's not really helpful. In addition, when you close the editing window it is only hidden, not unloaded, which is why you don't get the memory back until you close CTPEd. This is a holdover from my original design when I assumed there would be no memory problems and optimised for speed, but unfortunately it would be difficult to change now.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Gühmann
    replied
    For the memory usage, I wasn't able to find a program that gives me the total number of memory used, but I used the Windows System Ressource Monitor. I could monitor how much memory was used, and the unit.txt used indeed much. I open a window of that file that took one five or one fourth of my system ressource, maybe M$ means here memory. I open another file of units.txt for comparison and it used again such memory, afterwards I closed the window the memory was not freed until I closed or better CTPEd closed, actual not very user fiendly if the whole program closed just, because it can't open a file.

For the memory use it could be reduced if not all entries are shown that would also help so you can edit only the important stuff.

For the comparison, I thought of something like you did for the list of the items but now for the fields, something like an icon in front of such an entry.

-Martin

Leave a comment:

• J Bytheway
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
    From some testing, I just opened two files and had three windows of Mozilla 1.3 open I got out of memory errors, I never got something like this in earlier versions.
    Well, I did, which is why I was paranoid about addind comment preservation and so forth, but when I upgraded from 72MB RAM to more than 200MB I stopped getting that. However, I think that the biggest load is from all the controls loaded onto the form, rather than the data itself so I was probably worrying over nothing. Either way, loading units.txt is much more significant than loading any of the other files, so beware of doing so if you're having problems.

Could you try it with task manager (or some other system performance monitor) open and see when it is that much memory is being used? Also, it might be a good idea to check total memory before and after to see if there's a memory leak of some kind (which wouldn't surprise me).

The plan I had to improve the control positioning methods would probably cause a significant hit on memory too, which might be a problem.

Another thing I see is that the compare function just shows me the different entries but not the defferences in detail that is a little bit user unfriendly.
    What kind of format would you like to be told what the differences are in detail? I guess I could highlight the controls pertaining to the differing fields in some way, or else output a report detailing all of the differences (to a text file or to screen, in a text box).

Leave a comment:

• Martin Gühmann
    replied
    From some testing, I just opened two files and had three windows of Mozilla 1.3 open I got out of memory errors, I never got something like this in earlier versions.

Another thing I see is that the compare function just shows me the different entries but not the defferences in detail that is a little bit user unfriendly.

-Martin

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod Beeblebrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
    still getting another error, but i presume thats my current gamefiles fault, will check later.
    yup, ctped finds stupid mistakes ctp2.exe doesn't even notice

Leave a comment:

• J Bytheway
    replied
    My pleasure .

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod Beeblebrox
    replied
    ok, now i get a clearer error message
    the programme tried to write files in a nonexistant folder

still getting another error, but i presume thats my current gamefiles fault, will check later.

thank you

Leave a comment:

• J Bytheway
    replied
    Update v0.5.2

Updated to v0.5.2. Update at:
    http://ctpmodmakers.250free.com/JBTW/CTPEd052.zip

Unzip over the installed version. Again, this will reset your preferences to defaults (unless you select not to extract default.prf, which is safe so long as you're updating v0.5.0 or later).

For those not experiencing the same problem as Zaphod, this update is probably not worthwhile.

New in this version:

- Improved error messages due to missing paths in several other places that I missed in v0.5.1

Zaphod:
    Here's another attempt. I think you made it past the bit causing the error before, but I found some more places (worryingly many, in fact) which could be causing the same error you were seeing, and again I hope I have fixed them so that they give a more informative error or none at all. So, please try this and tell me what happens.

Martin:
    Yes, I see what you mean. I was programming in C# yesterday and it has given me (in a roundabout fasion) an idea for a better way to handle the whole system of aligning the controls on that form. It should provide for what you want, and also allow better handling of multiple instances of a field, which has always been a weakpoint in my design.

Unfortunately I'd probably need to devote more time than I have right now (I have a project deadline and exams approaching (not to mention a probable appointment as President in the DG)), so I make no promises. OTOH, it might turn out to be really simple and quick, as have some other things I dreaded in this project. I'll keep you informed.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod Beeblebrox
    replied
    still looks the same.
    when closing the properties windows a new empty!window named project files opens and i get the error 76 path not found. when pressing ok to that message the programm exits.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Gühmann
    replied
    It works now with the open another file of the same type thanks.

One improvement for the single column view would be to put the field name and the actual field into one line instead of one line for the field name and a text line in the next line for the value. This would save some space and increases the overview.

-Martin

Leave a comment:

• J Bytheway
    replied
    Update v0.5.1

Updated to v0.5.1. Update at:
    http://ctpmodmakers.250free.com/JBTW/CTPEd051.zip

Unzip over the installed version. Again, this will reset your preferences to defaults (unless you select not to extract default.prf, which is safe so long as you're updating v0.5.0).

New in this version:

- Added GL templates for wonder.txt and govern.txt
    - Improved error messages due to missing paths related to CheckFilesExist form
    - Repaired the 'Open another file of this type...' feature

Zaphod:
    Try this one, you will still get an error, but it should be a better error, which will enable me to track the problem. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod Beeblebrox
    replied
    after the properties dialog, regardless of what options i use there.

Leave a comment:

• J Bytheway
    replied
    A slightly belated response, but I did give warning that my development tends to go in fits and spurts. Thanks to Zaphod for bumping this thread.

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
    First I made a *.ces file for the specattack.txt. I would like to be to put everything like I want between the fields. The original file has a new line for every entry, it has two fields, without a new line in between so far I was only able to generate a file with two spaces in between of the two fields.
    And you would like one space, rather than two?

Another bug I found is that it doesn't work anymore to open another file of the same type. I get instead of the second file an error message:

Laufzeitfehler '1100':

Failed to provide interface when initializing FileAccess

Laufzeitfehler -> RunTimeError
    Thanks for pointing that out. I've now fixed that.

Another but small problem I found is that if I open the Open... file box and press the Cancel button I get a File not found error message. The same is true is I press the cancel button on the Read from gamefile.txt box.
    That's intentional (Sort of) - since you didn't specify a file it's hardly surprising that it couldn't find it .

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
    whenever i try to make a project of my own, i get the error 76 path not found

Do you get this error before or after you see the Save Project As... dialog?

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod Beeblebrox
    replied
    i simply cannot make it run.
    whenever i try to make a project of my own, i get the error 76 path not found

Leave a comment:

Working...
X