Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP tga picture sizes

Hi,

Does anyone know for sure which tga pixel sizes are used by CTP2. Until today I was convinced there were only 3 sizes for the tga files 160 x 120, 32 x 24 and 24 x 18. But the large pictures used for units appear to be 96 x 72. This might explain some of the bad quality of the pictures in game (if the game has to scale them down). The uniticon.txt obviously uses 4 entries for icons (2 are identical), has anyone tried to enter a 96 x 72 tga instead of one of the UPUPXXXL.TGA files yet and had it work? I expect I will do this tommorrow, this would require additional space for the files, but better quality of game icons and possibly better speed.

None of the other pictures seem to be scaled down (you can create tga's that are too large for the area they fit into).

Lastly, I would recommend that modmakers use standard labelling for picture files and in the uniticon.txt fils (or anywhere else relevant). Even a single mistake in this area can crash the game and takes a lot of patience to track down. (Mea Culpa: I also deviated from the standard when I updated ASIER's files, I was still used to the old CTP1 style).

Marc aka Caran... trying to figure why some graphics in mods end up at low quality when the originals appear to have been fine.

I've accidentally used pics that were too small before for GL pics and they got scaled up, looking quite bad. I think that CTP is fairly tolerant of pictures of the wrong size - it will scale up and down as necessary. To find out how large a picture really should be you'd probably have to take a screen capture.

Comment

Yep, screenshots show 4 sizes, 24x18, 36x24, 96x72 and 160x120. But the official game files come in only 3 of those sizes (not the 96x72). I haven't had the time to test with 96x72 targas yet, but will do so sometime soon I expect.

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

Just to close down this topic.

I tested my idea and it seems to be correct.

The game uses 4 different icon sizes for units. Namely 160x120, 96x72, 32x24 and 24x18. Modders can create a 4th targa file at the correct size and the game won't have to scale the image down. This obviously means the files have to be correctly set up within uniticon.txt.

Attached a set of screenshots I made for my tests. Whether this is really usesful is another question (I'd expect use of correct icons to speed up teh game a bit, but it also increases file sizes).

Marc aka Caran...
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X