GoodMod = Excellent Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoodMod = Excellent Mod

I started a GoodMod for SAP on an ultra-large map and 15 players. I also took a page from the 3rd SP tournament game and made it a doughnut world, which I had never tried before the tournament. I adjusted the max_behind values down to even lower numbers than before, but it is otherwise a GoodMod/SAP/UL game. I have barely made it to 200 AD and I am down to 2 cities. But I finally have catapults, so I am finally holding my own. It’s been tough and often frustrating for me so far! It’s my first CtP2 game that I’ve really felt like stopping and just throwing in the towel, but something keeps me going…. I like trading all these exotic goods, plus the tile bonuses really make the goods more of a factor in gameplay. I sure hope I can start expanding again soon!

I have not yet noticed my troops suddenly becoming active. I am using your new MG_betterai file from the tournament and this time I DID start my own game so I didn't reload slic. I’ll just keep an eye out for that, but I don’t expect it to happen. I also noticed in the bottom of the screen when I mouse over a good I get “Imp. Landgood Class 2 (or similar) instead of the good name. What’s up with that? Another “feature” of CtP? Any ideas on how to get the good name in there? I can look up my old notes from the problems encountered in CtP if you think that may help.

I agree ETB, this is a great mod. I have played it (not as much as i would like too) with the MM2 (Medieval Mod 2). Its really great having all those new goods. Im sorry i cant help u with that little error thing u get as i havent encountered it but i will be looking out for it.

Anyway have a good game with it. CtP2 gets better by the day it seems

SMIFFGIG
    Oxygen should be considered a drug
    Tiberian Sun Retro
    My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
    http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Thanks.

Why you don't go to the 'Poly Dir and rate it.

Originally posted by ETB
      I adjusted the max_behind values down to even lower numbers than before, but it is otherwise a GoodMod/SAP/UL game.
      I aslo intend to modify these numbers, at leastt removing the AI cap in the higher levels.

Originally posted by ETB
      I have not yet noticed my troops suddenly becoming active. I am using your new MG_betterai file from the tournament and this time I DID start my own game so I didn't reload slic.
      This shouldn't happen anymore as I just outcommented the part of the code that caused it. adn since the game loaded the correct slic when it was created you shouldn't have any problem with this.

Originally posted by ETB
      I also noticed in the bottom of the screen when I mouse over a good I get ?Imp. Landgood Class 2 (or similar) instead of the good name.
      You wouldn't see anything if you are in the original game. To improve the goods I made tile improvements, without a graphics and placed them on the good. I could have blow up the tileimp.txt with a lot of know tileimps (for every good one) or the other possibility was to create a limmited number of new tile imps with differents effects on different terrain. I used the latter sollution. So I added four improvements for land goods and four for sea goods. Four as you can have in CTP2 four goods per terrain. The result are these names in the status bar. Of course you can pillage such a good if it is owned by someone and the description in the status bar is removed for the next ten turns.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
        Why you don't go to the 'Poly Dir and rate it.
        -Martin
        Been there and done that!

You wouldn't see anything if you are in the original game. To improve the goods I made tile improvements, without a graphics and placed them on the good. I could have blow up the tileimp.txt with a lot of know tileimps (for every good one) or the other possibility was to create a limmited number of new tile imps with differents effects on different terrain. I used the latter sollution. So I added four improvements for land goods and four for sea goods. Four as you can have in CTP2 four goods per terrain. The result are these names in the status bar. Of course you can pillage such a good if it is owned by someone and the description in the status bar is removed for the next ten turns.
        -Martin
        So if I understand, I can actually pillage a good?! That’s amazing – I’m going to try that in my game!!! I can just picture my Viking warriors getting fat and lazy after pillaging apples or potatoes

Comment

Originally posted by ETB
          Been there and done that!
          We need more people doing this - for both GoodMod and other files. Thank you for rating and reviewing the games you did!
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Martin have you never thought on writting these lines in the MG_gl_str.txt intead of the ones you have:
            Code:
            TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_ONE				""
            TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_TWO				""
            TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_THREE				""
            TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_FOUR				""
            TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_ONE				""
            TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_TWO				""
            TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_THREE				""
            TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_FOUR				""
            This will solve the naming problem.
            "Kill a man and you are a murder.
            Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
            Kill all and you are a God!"
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

Originally posted by Pedrunn

Martin have you never thought on writting these lines in the MG_gl_str.txt intead of the ones you have:
              Code:
              TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_ONE				""
              TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_TWO				""
              TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_THREE				""
              TILEIMP_LAND_GOOD_FOUR				""
              TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_ONE				""
              TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_TWO				""
              TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_THREE				""
              TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_FOUR				""
              This will solve the naming problem.
              I considered this, but if I do it no one would know which good could be pillaged, except the AI. And it helped me a lot to test the GM1_Goods.slc, so I know if the good improveing process worked, by just moving the mouse over it.

-Martin

Comment

Yeah, the first time i saw it. I thought it was left overs from testing.

But still the current names doenst say nothing to the human player. May changing just for "Good" is also a good idea
                "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                Kill all and you are a God!"
                -Jean Rostand

Comment

Originally posted by Pedrunn
                  Yeah, the first time i saw it. I thought it was left overs from testing.

But still the current names doenst say nothing to the human player. May changing just for "Good" is also a good idea
                  Maybe not for the avarage human player but it would be helpful for a scenario maker. If you place a good by hand and you want be shure that it has the right improvement, then you should see these names.

-Martin

Comment

how do'u log in to rate games
                    or did my cookies get burned?

Comment

HuangShang & all,
                      Before you can add files/suggest categories/review/vote/etc, anything except navigate and download, you must first be logged in. You must log in seperately in the forum and the dir, although the username and password for forum and dir are the same. If you can't log in and you're sure your username and password are correct, update your forum profile (control panel > edit profile > save modifications) and try again.
                      Attached Files
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                        HuangShang & all,
                        Before you can add files/suggest categories/review/vote/etc, anything except navigate and download, you must first be logged in. You must log in separately in the forum and the dir, although the username and password for forum and dir are the same. If you can't log in and you're sure your username and password are correct, update your forum profile (control panel > edit profile > save modifications) and try again.
                        Yea, this confused me at first too! I wondered why we have to re-log in at that screen. I suppose that there’s a reason for it. Give it a try HuangShang and it should work for you.

I have a more generic question that (I think) applies to CtP games where NumPlayers > 9. I started this extremely interesting GoodMod/SAP/ULMap game with 15 players, but my MaxPlayers was set to 0. I got about 200 AD and the game crashed during an AI’s turn. I restarted and it crashed at the same point in the same AI’s turn. I tried several different things that didn’t help and I thought of something that made me try MaxPlayers=15 and it worked! At the point where CtP previously crashed, an AI city revolted and formed a new empire (the Aztecs had already been defeated, thus leaving a vacancy for a new AI), so that was apparently the action that was causing the crash. My game has progressed to the 1500’s without crashing again. My question is why did changing MaxPlayers from 0 to 15 work or was it coincidence? I have played previous CtP games (and one tournament game) with MaxPlayers at 0 (and NumPlayers at 9) without crashing. This was my first crash in CtP2, so I was determined to find out why. Is it because I’m exceeding 9 players and CtP can’t handle that? I don’t believe it has to do with the mods that I’m playing. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by ETB
                          I have a more generic question that (I think) applies to CtP games where NumPlayers > 9. I started this extremely interesting GoodMod/SAP/ULMap game with 15 players, but my MaxPlayers was set to 0. I got about 200 AD and the game crashed during an AI’s turn. I restarted and it crashed at the same point in the same AI’s turn. I tried several different things that didn’t help and I thought of something that made me try MaxPlayers=15 and it worked! At the point where CtP previously crashed, an AI city revolted and formed a new empire (the Aztecs had already been defeated, thus leaving a vacancy for a new AI), so that was apparently the action that was causing the crash. My game has progressed to the 1500’s without crashing again. My question is why did changing MaxPlayers from 0 to 15 work or was it coincidence? I have played previous CtP games (and one tournament game) with MaxPlayers at 0 (and NumPlayers at 9) without crashing. This was my first crash in CtP2, so I was determined to find out why. Is it because I’m exceeding 9 players and CtP can’t handle that? I don’t believe it has to do with the mods that I’m playing. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?
                          I had this problem in the 2nd and 3rd tournerment games, too. But in my case the MaxPlayers was set at 20. I located this problem in DiploMod. In the 2rd tournerment game I disabled huge parts of DiploMod and in the third one it helped to set MaxPlayers=NumPlayers of course NumPlayers was the original numbers of players in that game. So on the one hand no additional civs just replacement civs but on the other hand no feature loss of DiploMod.

So you could try to disable DiploMod and /reloadslic unfortunatly you have to play two turns, afterwards. If you just reloadslic you will be able to go to the next turn but the turn afterwards the game will crash again. Actual this problem and my not working attemp to fix it caused the delay in starting this tournerment game.

-Martin

Comment

Thanks Martin! I will keep MaxPlayers=NumPlayers (=15) for my current game. I certainly do not wish to disable any portion of DiploMod and the map is plenty crowded with players. I am up to 1600 and I have not encountered any other program-related errors, oddities, or problems. The AIs on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by ETB
                              The AIs on the other hand...
                              Yeah I hear rather of a challanging AI then of a pushover AI.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X