X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And again, just tried commenting these two guys:

HandleEvent(ContactMade) 'DIP_FlagContactMade' pre
    HandleEvent(EstablishEmbassy) 'DIP_FlagEmbassyMade' pre

with everything else left in... crashed.

Comment

It must be one of the (BeginTurn) triggers which directly causes the crash, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
        Well, you can elliminate:

HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'WDT_BeginGame' pre

After the first turn, this is disabled anyways.

Also, I don't think it's going to be:

HandleEvent(InitDiplomaticState) 'DIP_InitDiploState' pre
        HandleEvent(NextDiplomaticState) 'DIP_NextDiploState' pre

These two functions will only ever trigger if you're an AI.

Which leaves the embassy functions. I had a hellova time getting that running. Wouldn't surprise if there was still a bug in it. *sigh*
        Wow, actually I think its one of those two exactly:

HandleEvent(InitDiplomaticState) 'DIP_InitDiploState' pre
        HandleEvent(NextDiplomaticState) 'DIP_NextDiploState' pre

With those two out, there's no crashing.

The tightest test I have without crashing doesn't have either of those, or these two:

HandleEvent(ContactMade) 'DIP_FlagContactMade' pre

But just removing those 2 by themself it still crashes... hmmm.

Comment

I suspect

Comment

Okay, commenting ONLY these 4 lines out, and it does NOT crash:

HandleEvent(InitDiplomaticState) 'DIP_InitDiploState' pre {
            // DIP_diplostate = DiplomacyDB(DIPLOMACY_AI_AI_NORMAL);
            // if(!(IsHumanPlayer(player[0])) && !(IsHumanPlayer(player[1])) && player[0] != 0 && player[1] != 0) {
            // ConsiderDiplomaticState(player[0], player[1], 9999, DIP_diplostate, -1,-1,-1);
            // ChangeDiplomaticState(player[0], player[1]);
            // }
            }

Hard to believe that when those 4 lines are commented out in a new game, I can conquer AI civs without it crashing multiplayer...

Thoughts from the expert SLICers?

Oh, and I tried adding em back in and making this change, but it still crashes:

if(IsPlayerAlive(player[0]) && IsPlayerAlive(player[1]) && !(IsHumanPlayer(player[0])) && !(IsHumanPlayer(player[1])) && player[0] != 0 && player[1] != 0) {
            DIP_diplostate = DiplomacyDB(DIPLOMACY_AI_AI_NORMAL);
            ConsiderDiplomaticState(player[0], player[1], 9999, DIP_diplostate, -1,-1,-1);
            ChangeDiplomaticState(player[0], player[1]);
            }

And for giggles I tried 'Cradle More Peaceful AI' - which appears to point to Diplomod 3.6, that also crashes.

Comment

And yet, straight from Apolyton diplomod.slc.......

Code:
              ///////////////////////////////////
              // Ensure AI -> AI Diplo state
              ///////////////////////////////////

int_t tmpPer;
              	tmpPer = 0;
              	tmpPer = GetPersonalityType(player[0]);
              	if(!(IsHumanPlayer(player[0])) && !(IsHumanPlayer(player[1])) && player[0] != 0 && player[1] != 0) {
              		if(tmpPer == 1) {
              			DIP_diplostate = DiplomacyDB(DIPLOMACY_AI_AI_SUCKUP);
              			ConsiderDiplomaticState(player[0], player[1], 9999, DIP_diplostate, -1,-1,-1);
              			ChangeDiplomaticState(player[0], player[1]);
              		}
              These are the same as the one that crashes (effectively).

Apolyton's diplomod.slc v3.6 is used in World At War. Question: Does WAW crash with Apolyton's diplomod.slc?

Comment

Here's an interesting thought. According to the SLIC documentation, InitDiplomaticState is only called at the start of the game to initialise the AI's original diplomatic states. During the game, NextDiplomaticState is called.

The initial diplomatic state record load for a player can be redefined by writing a SLIC function that handles the InitDiplomaticState event and calls ConsiderDiplomaticState followed by a call to ChangeDiplomaticState. For example:

HandleEvent (InitDiplomaticState) ‘Example_DiplomaticStateInit’ post {
                // player[0] is the player being initialized
                // player[1] is the foreigner
                // code that ends up calling ConsiderDiplomaticState
                // code that calls ChangeDiplomaticState
                }

At the beginning of every turn the NextDiplomaticState event will be triggered for every foreigner that has been contacted. You can define SLIC functions to handle this event and change which diplomacy record should be loaded by calling the ConsiderDiplomaticState function. Do not call the ChangeDiplomaticState function from within these handlers; it will be called after all handlers have been executed and cause a change to the one with the highest priority.

HandleEvent (NextDiplomaticState) ‘Example_NextDiplomaticState’ pre {
                // player[0] is the player being whose turn it is
                // player[1] is the foreigner
                // code that ends up calling ConsiderDiplomaticState
                }

Comment

Scanscape, try this.......

In InitDiplomaticState & NextDiplomaticState, comment out (//) all the ChangeDiplomaticState lines.

Comment

Man, I'm just flowing with ideas on this today.

Try this one instead......

At the start of the InitDiplomaticState function, add this line in:

Code:
                    if(g.year > 1) {
                         DisableTrigger('DIP_InitDiploState');
                    } else {

...... Current code goes here .......

} // Don't forget to add another of these at the end of the function.
                    My reason for this is that when a Civ is destroyed, it'll create a new one (if MaxPlayers > NumPlayers in userprofile.txt). When it creates a new Civ it'll probably run InitDiplomaticState (it's logical to do this). The function doesn't crash at the beginning of the game, so it works on turn 0. It may be crashing in later turns. This code will only allow the script to run on the first turn of the game (thus setting up the diplomatic stances).

Comment

(Attempt #1):

In InitDiplomaticState & NextDiplomaticState, comment out (//) all the ChangeDiplomaticState lines.

(Result):

Crash

(Attempt #2):

Add if(g.year > 1) ...

(Result):

NO CRASH!

... is this an acceptable solution? or will something go amiss later on in the game?

Otherwise, *wipes sweat from brow*, I consider this 40 some Cradle games in the day well spent!

Comment

Looks good, Dale's reasoning seems perfectly sound. Why it should be crashing when it creates a new civ is really puzzling.

To be on the safe side, it's probably a good idea to remove the ChangeDiplomaticState calls from the NextDiplomaticState event handler. They did say:

Do not call the ChangeDiplomaticState function from within these handlers; it will be called after all handlers have been executed and cause a change to the one with the highest priority.

Good stuff, guys. Careful about getting hooked on this, Scanscape. It's argueably more fun than playing games but can take up a lot of time.

Comment

WOOHOO!!!!

To answer your question:

- The InitDiplomaticState directs the AI's diplomatic stance to the new modified ones I'd written right from turn 1. By default, the AI will always select one of the original diplomatic settings. My code put it into the better ones.
                          - The NextDiplomaticState is the check to keep the AI player in the new diplomatic states.

- If a new AI is formed due to conquest, it'll automatically select one of the default diplomatic stances. On it's first diplomatic check it'll run NextDiplomaticState and be forced into the new diplomatic states.

I see no problem with an AI running the default states for a few turns. It won't have an impact as I modified the default states to very close to warmonger state.

Comment

Hey, I'm stoked... I can finally *fingers crossed* get through a multiplayer Cradle game.

IMO, modded CTP2 really might be the best "Civ" option out there... perhaps we can put everyone's work together and market it? =)

If you don't see me post for a few days now, you can assume I'm happily hooked playing Cradle.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanscape
                              If you don't see me post for a few days now, you can assume I'm happily hooked playing Cradle.
                              ...time well-spent - tell all your friends!!!
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

thanks to Locotus for the link to this
                                Hexagonian, what was the final workaround for this and anychance of it making it into the next Craddle update?
                                I take it it all worked fine?
                                And nice work Spanscape and Dale(now departed, sniff).
                                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X