No announcement yet.

Med Mod 2 Multiplayer Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'm stumped... I ran *only* Diplomod 3.6 in this last test and it crashed. I was expecting whatever SLC was conflicting to not be enabled, so Diplomod would behave.

FYI, CRAG_script.slc had everything but Diplomod out:

//#include "CRA_airunit.slc"

//#include "CRA_capturecity.slc"

//#include "CRA_homeguard.slc"

//#include "CRA_springfield.slc"

//#include "CRA_wonderbuildings.slc"

//#include "CRA_wonderunits.slc"

//#include "CRA_frenzy.slc"

#include "CRA_diplomod.slc"

//#include "CRA_pow.slc"

//#include "CRAG_updater.slc"

//#include "CRA_disasters.slc"

//#include "CRA_Goods.slc"

//#include "CRA_soundfix.slc"

//#include "CRAI_KillCityOption.slc"

//#include "CRAI_FortsForAIs.slc"

//#include "CRAI_ComImpSForAIs2.slc"

//#include "CRAI_pw_cheat.slc"

//#include "CRAI_infras.slc"

--

Any thoughts on what else I can disable to see if I can get Diplomod to behave?

Comment

Which version of Cradle are you using? I don't have any files starting CRAG_ in my install...

Next thing to try is commenting out the various BeginTurn triggers in the diplomod file. This might cause other problems (like crash on loading of SLIC), but try anyway.

Comment

What exactly does DebugSlic do?
        It gives you more and better error messages. With DebugSlic =No, the game can run even though it contains some errors.

Spanscape, what are you getting when these crashes are happening?

I downloaded one of your savegames a couple of days ago, but I couldn't put it into multiplayer and get it working.

Comment

Try using the default diplomacy files. The files would be

diplomacy.txt
          diplomacyproposal.txt

There should be a default diplomacy.slc file - offhand I do not know what the name of that file is - but it should be in the default/gamedata folder.

And there will be a file in the english/gamedata folder that is part of the default diplomacy setup - offhand I do not know what the name of that file is either. You will have to make a change in the

(CRA_)Strings.txt

to tie that file into the test setup
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
            Try using the default diplomacy files. The files would be

diplomacy.txt
            diplomacyproposal.txt

to tie that file into the test setup

Yup, just tried this - no crashing works fine.

Peter: Basically whenever I conquer a civ (destroy their last city) in a multiplayer game under Cradle or MM2 (not not Apolyton), something in the Diplomod (3.5 and 3.6) is causing me to immediately crash to the desktop on the host machine as soon as the conquering civ ends its turn (whether it be the host or the joined player). I get no messages, no popups if DebugSlic=Yes, just back to Windows.

I suppose my next step is to start commenting out triggers in CRA_diplomod.slc and see if I can isolate the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
              There should be a default diplomacy.slc file - offhand I do not know what the name of that file is - but it should be in the default/gamedata folder.
              You know the name it is diplomacy.slc. By the way this file only contains triggers that removed diplomacy from the original game. The AI was stopped from accepting proposals, counter proposals and threats and was stopped from making threats by default. I guess this file shouldn't never be in the game, its probably purpose was showing modmakers how to change the AI behaviour in diplomacy.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Just as a clarification:

There absolutely no difference between Cradle Diplo 3.6, Med Mod Diplo 3.6 and Apolyton Diplo 3.6, EXCEPT in concern to diplomats establishing embassies:

- The actual unit used to establish embassies is different in the MODS.
                - The advance which enables the above diplomat units is different in the MODS.

They're the only two differences between all the Diplo 3.6 versions.

BTW, if you change to the Diplo 3.6 script, you MUST use the diplomacy.txt that comes with Diplo 3.6. One major change between Diplo 3.6 and Diplo 3.6 was I added the "normal" and "make friends" diplomatic personalities. If you don't, then Diplo 3.6 SLIC with diplomacy.txt 3.5 WILL crash when it checks AI diplomatic personalities.

Hope this helps.

BTW, does the crash occur IMMEDIATELY when you hit end turn, or does it crash where normally the destroyed civ would take it's turn? IE: Hit end turn - CRASH! or Hit end turn - player 2 goes, player 3 goes, player 4 (destroyed) CRASH!

Comment

Edit: deleted duplicate post

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                    BTW, does the crash occur IMMEDIATELY when you hit end turn, or does it crash where normally the destroyed civ would take it's turn? IE: Hit end turn - CRASH! or Hit end turn - player 2 goes, player 3 goes, player 4 (destroyed) CRASH!

My most recent tests have been running 'Cradle 1.3 Beta' which points to Diplomod 3.5.

Just ran a test where I commented out the following 4 triggers:

HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'DIP_EmbassyCheck' pre
                    HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'DIP_MainRoutine' post
                    HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'DIP_EstabEmb' pre
                    HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'WDT_MainRoutine' pre

Still crashes with these 4 out of CRA_diplomod.slc. Double-checked and removing CRA_diplomod.slc from CRAG_script.slc means no crashing.

At first I thought the game crashed when it reached the dead AI civ in the turn cycle. But then I realized that the other human player was at index 2 (after myself as the host and index 1 conquered the civ) never got their turn, with the AI civs being index 3-8. So its at the beginning of a human turn when the host crashes.

BTW, whats the difference between g.player and player[0] in a trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                      It gives you more and better error messages.
                      Yeah, usually "array index 0 out of bounds" which is annoying, because there's not always an obvious array, and its almost certainly not out of bounds

I don't understand that one...
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Ok, in addition to these 4 (which removing by themselves do not cause the crash):

HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'WDT_MainRoutine' pre

I took these 5 additional triggers and 2 functions out:

HandleEvent(InitDiplomaticState) 'DIP_InitDiploState' pre
                        HandleEvent(NextDiplomaticState) 'DIP_NextDiploState' pre
                        void_f DIP_EstablishEmbassyFunc(int_t recipient)
                        HandleEvent(ContactMade) 'DIP_FlagContactMade' pre
                        HandleEvent(EstablishEmbassy) 'DIP_FlagEmbassyMade' pre
                        HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'WDT_BeginGame' pre
                        int_f WDT_GetDistanceNearestCity(location_t theLoc, int_t thePlayer)

And... *bling* no more crashing...

Comment

Try it with none of the embassy code and all of the other code and vice versa.

Comment

What's really surprising is that you're not getting ANY error messages.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
                              Try it with none of the embassy code and all of the other code and vice versa.
                              Ok left all the WDT code in and removed all the embassy stuff:

void_f DIP_EstablishEmbassyFunc(int_t recipient)
                              HandleEvent(ContactMade) 'DIP_FlagContactMade' pre
                              HandleEvent(EstablishEmbassy) 'DIP_FlagEmbassyMade' pre

With those 8 guys gone, no crashing.

Comment

Well, you can elliminate:

HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'WDT_BeginGame' pre

After the first turn, this is disabled anyways.

Also, I don't think it's going to be:

These two functions will only ever trigger if you're an AI.

Which leaves the embassy functions. I had a hellova time getting that running. Wouldn't surprise if there was still a bug in it. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X