Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Habsburg sceanrio is ready

Hi everyone,

Version 1 of the Habsburg scenario is now available here; http://ctpmodmakers.0catch.com/Tigger/tigger.html

This is set in 1519 with player 1 as the Habsburgs desperately trying to hang on (and expand) their empire in the face of hatred from the French and the Ottomans. Martin Luther’s proclamations mean that the cities in the German states are on the verge of rebellion. Please let me know what you think of it It uses a gigantic europe map and has 8 civs. Please use whichever diplomacy model you like best.

Proposals for version 2 are ideas, which came to me as I worked on the scenario…,I’d be interested for other peoples thoughts.

1. Is it too easy to be the largest empire. Should the scenario be about the Dutch rebellion, with player 1 attempting to achieve independence as the Dutch?
    2. If not should the rebellion idea be extended so that Amsterdam would also rebel very easily.
    3. Armies constantly mutinied at this time, how about a mutiny check every time you attempt to attack another army?
    4. The French cannon was the best artillery whilst the Spanish terrico was the best infantry at the time, how about some new units that are civ specific?
    5. How about a recreation of the Spanish silver train? And the English piracy?
    6. I definitely need to improve the cities and make them look more realistic (FE Sweden look very futuristic)
    7. Charles V struggled to get the disparate parts of the empire to pay taxes for wars far away. Should I have a special unit of Charles who when he starts a turn in a city gets extra money but increases unhappiness?
    8. I want to get involved with the personalities to get a better feel in the game.

That’s all the initial thoughts I have but please, any feedback will be welcome even if you don’t like it.

Tigs
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Hi, I attempted to download your file but the link to the file seems to be inaccurate...

Comment

There was a typo in the file name. I fixed it, the link should work now.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Hi the link is working but when i try to lunch the scenario, I have got the following errors:

'withdraw.slc' not found in asset tree

and

C:\[ctp2 path]\scenario\.\csen000\default\gamedata\script.slc:27 43: syntax error

I installed the patch 1.11 and ctp2 modswapper is also installed.

Many thanks for your efforts though. Thx in advanc for your answer.

Comment

The scenario assumes you are using Dale's diplomod and withdraw scripts.

If you want them, you can get them here, or else if you don't want them, open script.slc (in the scenario folder) and delete the lines (at the bottom)
          Code:
          #include "diplomod.slc"

#include "withdraw.slc"
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

many thanks...

Comment

Re: Habsburg sceanrio is ready

Without having played the scenario yet (no time):

Originally posted by tigger
              1. Is it too easy to be the largest empire. Should the scenario be about the Dutch rebellion, with player 1 attempting to achieve independence as the Dutch?
              Since I'm Dutch I'm probably the last person to ask about this. My answer is, predictably: YES, YES, YES!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! MAKE IT SO!

2. If not should the rebellion idea be extended so that Amsterdam would also rebel very easily.
              Well, under Charles V the Dutch were pretty quiet, in part because Charles was from Ghent himself IIRC and he spoke Dutch and everything. In this scenario you could go either way: in real history, Amsterdam grew very powerful in those days because of trade with the Baltic and (later) the Far East; (individual and collective) freedom and independence have always been very important values in Dutch culture (hence the liberal policies on drugs and stuff); religious problems really only started to become a big problem after Charles had abdicated(sp?); one could argue that the combination of those factors made a Dutch strive for independence inevitable. One could also argue that if Charles V had stayed in power, the Dutch would have remained calm since he was such a nice chap (in the eyes of the Dutch).

Gameplay-wise, the more events the better I suppose (within reason of course), so this would be a nice idea.

3. Armies constantly mutinied at this time, how about a mutiny check every time you attempt to attack another army?
              Hmm, it would be an interesting option but perhaps it would only end up annoying the player? I guess that only by trying it out and balancing it carefully you can determine if it'll work or not.

4. The French cannon was the best artillery whilst the Spanish terrico was the best infantry at the time, how about some new units that are civ specific?
              Sounds cool. If you need ideas: plenty of choices here. Dutch: a ship of some sort: Fluyt, Privateer, East-Indiaman, Ship of the Line. German/Polish: Teutonic Knight. Turkish: Janissary? Bombard? (not sure about the timeframe of these two). Arab (as far as they fit on the map): Camel Rider, Dervish. English: Longbowman? Man-of-War? Russian: Cossack? Hussar? You may want to check the Civ3 Civilizations and Creation/Files forums if you need more ideas. If you need anything specific I could dig around a little for you (both in Civvish and in historic sources).

Sounds cool to me...
              7. Charles V struggled to get the disparate parts of the empire to pay taxes for wars far away. Should I have a special unit of Charles who when he starts a turn in a city gets extra money but increases unhappiness?
              Hmm, could be interesting...

I'll probably have more when I've actually played...
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Re: Re: Habsburg sceanrio is ready

Originally posted by Locutus

English: Longbowman? Man-of-War? ...
                English: Man-o-War WELSH: Longbowman
                It's easily forgotten in the mists of time(and the text-books of the conquerer), but the Longbow as used very successfully by the English armies of the time, were a welsh invention and after Henry V victorious campaign in bringing the welsh to heel(He was a welshman himself), he used this effective weapon in many famous 'English' victories. In fact various English king's used Welsh Longbowmen.sniff. just don't mention rugby
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Habsburg sceanrio is ready

Originally posted by child of Thor
                  In fact various English king's used Welsh Longbowmen.sniff. just don't mention rugby
                  So it probably wouldn't be wise for me to point out that Longbowmen were really an ancient Indian invention?
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Tigger two problems detected at the moment one you Havant put the pacicon in I promised you so here it is.

The other thing is the only one civ bit. if you want to make it only one civ in the empire bit of the scenario editor click on it and click Spain.
                    Attached Files
                    "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                    The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                    Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Re: Habsburg sceanrio is ready

Originally posted by tigger
                      That was one of the things I was really looking forward to putting into a Civ3 scenario with strategic resources. A trans-Atlantic triangle Trade route. But alas, no city placement

If you can get it working for this, it'd be great though.

Comment

Big Mc - if we're talking of deliberate mistakes how about the fact that I claim the scenario starts in 1519 when it starts in 1521. Sorry Big Mc, I just haven't had chance to do anything since we last commmunicated. Forgive me.

Yservel - sorry I really should've said about diplomod. Its just that I think the ordinary AI is poor.

Locutus - well my uncle lives in Holland so I'm biased too! As for the other units both you and CoT's ideas sound great. Is it me or is this going to end up a Renaissance Mod?

The mutiny idea might be annoying, how about if it was trigger should players gold get below a certain point (armies tended to mutiny if they weren't paid) that way the player could avoid it altogether but they might have to let other priorities slip in order to avoid mutiny?

I like the piracy idea but have not had any thoughts on how it could be implemented. But I really want to do the special unit idea. It is important that it includes the idea to imprison the special unit rather than kill it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Comment

Hi Tigger,
                          Fine slic-work and some new inspirations in the Habsburg scenario.
                          Other guys can learn a lot from some new slic-work - that is what we need.
                          I hope you will further try to create some new slic-work.

Best wishes
                          Fritz

Comment

Fritz- Thanks but if I'm being honest the SLIC is very much inspired by the Alexander scenario with some crucial help form Locutus (but I haven't been assimilated yet )

I must confess Fritz that your Seven Years War scenario was the first scenario I actually played! It was a big influence.

Child of Thor - I guess you want to mention Rugby today?

Yservel - how are you getting on? Sorry about the niggles (theres not much I can do at work) thanks IW for sorting them out!

Big mc - did the beer arrive?

Seriously I've a couple of questions;

1.What do you players think of the scenario?
                            2.I think version2 comes down to the question of whether it is best to remain as the Habsburgs or to be a smaller civ for more of a challenge. Either way I'm going to create more units and many, many more events. But would anyone prefer to be a different civ? Locutus isn't allowed to suggested the Dutch!

Comment

could not get my copy you e-mailed me to work.
                              I will try to download it monday
                              "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                              The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                              Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Working...
                              X