No announcement yet.

Natural Disasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D'oh, we Americans are such idiots... Guess I should read the post more carefully.

I guess Ben won't be working at McDonalds then!!! That's why he is the SLIC writer and I am not.

Congrats
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

That last zip was just the files that were going wrong, I have now figured out my stupidity, and got it down to one error message per tsunami (8 per turn )

I can't figure out how:
      Code:
      tmpPlayer = tmpCity.owner;
      message(tmpPlayer, 'THU');
      if(tmpPlayer != ND_human){
             message(ND_human, 'THO');
      }
      Can cause an error
      Apparently, in "object Tsunami, function _message: incorrect arguement" I don't know...

Anyway, I'll sort it tommorrow, when I'm not half-asleep
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
        I should post a "final" test tommorrow, and then it will just need playtesting to completion.
        When i said not as a test like the last one i meant the disasters not happening every turn to be possible a whole game of testing (as a thought the final one) and of course enjoyment.

Congratulations, really impressing marks . And good drunkness (what am i talking about drunkness is always good ).
        "Kill a man and you are a murder.
        Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
        Kill all and you are a God!"
        -Jean Rostand

Comment

Thanks guys, yeah, my exams were in July, and I got the results last thursday. I'm quite pleased with them.

The next (and hopefully final) version I shall post will be a test only in as much as I want to get some playtesting before announcing it "done". This is so I'm not caught up in updating it to make it compatible with MedMod, 'Poly-pack and Cradle separately. I spent a merry hour making sure all the variables that the code shared with other SLIC in use were localised, and all the rest were different

I have an error message that I never got before though! I think its to do with the way I make the tiles regenerate.

It says: "Prototypes should not define arguements"

The messages are still not fully written yet, these are just place-holders, but all 4 files (and scenario.slc and strings.txt) are included:
          Attached Files
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I really did not had a good experience with it.

When loading CTP2:

"Prototypes should not define arguements"

I got this message. Another one about a syntax error in line 645.

When starting a game:

The same messages.
            And looks like the code did not liked my scenario.slc.
            I get about ten messages about it saying that there are undefined codes in the first lines and lines 160 and 161.

What is stranger is that in it there is only some #include "*.slc" and the destroy tile imp code you wrote. A total of 40 lines. So i am not even close of 160.
            Then the games freezes

Maybe i should wait for others people experience.
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

Sorry I haven't been much help lately. At the beginning of the month I downloaded the Activision WW2 scenario and I've been spending almost all my spare time trying to re-SLIC it. I'm determined to get something finished for a change. I think it's almost finished now so I took a day off from it today.

Have you had any luck with that prototype error? I thought it might have something to do with:

Important note! As this documenation is being prepared, the first patch for CTP2 is about to be released. Unfortunately a bug with functions was discovered too late to fix. Specifically, in some cases, using members of unit, army, city, and location variables that are function parameters may not always work as expected. There is, however, a workaround. Copy the function parameter to a local variable and use that variable instead.

Code:
                  Example: // This version may fail sometimes! 

int_f DoesAHumanOwnThisUnit(unit_t theUnit) {       
                      if(IsHumanPlayer(theUnit.owner)) {           
                           return 1;     }     
                      return 0; }  

// This version should always work 

int_f DoesAHumanOwnThisUnit(unit_t theUnit) {

unit_t copiedUnit;     

copiedUnit = theUnit;     
                        if(IsHumanPlayer(copiedUnit.owner)) {         
                             return 1;     }     
                        return 0; }
              The author apologizes for this and promises that if there is another patch it will be fixed. But the above workaround should always work.
              But when I tried the suggested workaround I got a crash to desktop and it resized my screen. That sort of thing makes me nervous.

Comment

I solved the prototypes problem, I was being a moron. I started a function:
                void_f FunctionName (location_t theLocation);

when obviously the ; should have been a {

I'm getting a really wierd bug now, in the tsunami messages. I'm sure they are exactly the same as other messages, but it gives an error, saying the arguement is wrong.

Comment

With DebugSlic set to Yes, I get an error message, with it set to No I get a crash whenever a tsunami hits, and I cannot figure out the problem.
                  Other than that, its finished for now I think.

Test version, disasters every turn, with known problem:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh oh I'm experiencing game crashs in the firsts 10 turns, after getting a lot of diseses averted by my medics quick thinking. So i guess it is a problem with the plagues.

Didnt you set plagues to be in cities 3 or bigger?
                    -Jean Rostand

Comment

The crash seems to be being caused by the line:

Code:
                      if(!CityIsValid(tmpCity) && MessageCount < 1){	
                      // if it is NOT there, and we've not messaged before
                      I have no idea why, but after playing around for a bit and outcommenting sections of code, that's the one it narrowed down to.

BTW, I've got an idea for a new project, but it needs to be done quickly. I'll write something up and e-mail you later tonight.

Comment

Hmm, interesting...

*frantically checks email every 5 minutes from 9:00 til 1:00*

Thanks Peter

Comment

Right, I'll get this finished ASAP now...

Here are the files, final beta, there should be no problems, but I have yet to write up the readme etc...

To include the files, open scenario.slc, add the line
                          #include "ND_main.slc"

open strings.txt, add the line

#import "ND_str.txt"

Then play!

Feel free to change the messages in ND_str, they are probably subject to changes, but I have just gone back to school, and am pressed for time. I know whatever I put, Dave will change, so why bother? Customize yourselves people!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I test it although it isnt a test file anymore. All seems to be working all right so far.
                            I did took the line off in the plague event to happen with the AI too. It gave me a error message. No biggy though since all worked fine with the line.

This code really is a masterpiece .
                            -Jean Rostand

Comment

Loaded up on Cradle - will be starting a new game sometime this weekend hopefully (if time permits). No crashes in the trial run through the cheat mode - though I merely launched the game without playing any turns. I had a lot of stuff to add and tweak this week.

As always, I'm looking forward to the new SLIC file that you did Ben

And it will be bundled with the next update.
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hmm, I'm glad it seems to be working... Have you guys got DebugSlic on Yes or No?

Also, could you do a test? Set the chance of getting a tsunami 100%, and make sure you have one, it is still causing problems for me.

Pedrunn, when you took the line off, did you take off the close bracket line further down (I think I marked it...) That should prevent any error message.

Thanks!

Ben

--> with readme. Don't overwrite the other files in case they work, and the update doesn't

BTW everyone, the files have about 8 downloads each. I count Peter Dave Pedrunn and Bluevoss in this thread Who are you all??
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X