Monkey's PBEM rules Version 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkey's PBEM rules Version 1

Ok I don't know if there is a sort of code/etiquette/rulebook involved in playing PBEM on the internet so I decided to make one up. I don't have any experience organizing a PBEM game as this is my first attempt so forgive me if my first game is a dismal flop

ok here goes...

Monkey's PBEM rules Version 1

1)Each player must have a minimum of one turn a day.

This does not mean player one has one turn on day one and player two has one turn on day two. It means all players have at least one turn on one day. This minimum requirement of performing at least a turn a day ensures that the game is moving at a decent speed. Players who do not have access to e-mail at least once per day must make some sort of arrangements with their host prior to the game starting. ie if you know that you don't have access to e-mail for the weekend then inform the host prior to the game starting. At worst, we will just be waiting for the last player to pass his turn....

*Seriously, for those of you who only check their e-mail once every 2-3 days, you might want to reconsider whether you want to play PBEM*

2)Players may take multiple turns per day.

The minimum requirement of one turn a day does not stop players from having multiple turns in a day. We'd like a PBEM game to move as fast as possible so if more players are able to complete multiple turns per day the better.

3) Each time a player makes a turn, he/she must post a reply on a running thread which the host has created on Apolyton indicating the current turn number/year and the player that the he/she has passed the turn to.

eg fred has just completed turn 53(year 1010BC) and passed the game to Samantha

fred will post on a thread in Apolyton with something like this:

"Turn 53/1010BC Fred=>Samantha"

This method of posting at Apolyton is to keep track of where the game is at. Players can easily see where the game is at and when they can expect to see their turn next.

4)In the event of unforseen departure, notify the host first. Then depending on the circumstance there are three options

a) The host can either decide to replace the leaving player with another player of the leaving player's choice. This temporary player will agree to play the leaving player's turns only for the period of abscence.

b) The host can recommend the leaving player to attach an ai to his civ. (Not sure if this works in PBEM) ie the ai controls the leaving player's civ for the time of abscence.

c) The host can completely replace the leaving player with another player(human or ai) if a player decides to completely drop out. This is drastic move and I hope it never happens in PBEM

If a player feels that he must notify the other players about his abscence then he must either post at the running thread at Apolyton or request that the host informs the other players.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok i hope I've clarified a few things. the minimum requirement of having one turn a day is a bit harsh but it is needed to move the game at a decent speed especially at the beginning. If players are comfortable with a slower pace then by all means scrap the rule!!! We could also make it that for the first 20 turns rule 1 exists and then players
    move at their own pace (within reasonable speed of course!)

Feel free to bring up more rules as you see fit. I'd really appreciate some feed back

Monkey out....
    [This message has been edited by Monkey (edited August 31, 1999).]
    Monkey I am proud to be!
    Trim the sails and roam the sea!
    ...Stefu

er... see my reply in other thread

Comment

This is the format on how I think we should run this first PBEM game. I had a thread running in SMAC multiplayer and cousLee told me that with four people the average number of turns that people get is only three per week. Ok I know we've got eight players so that will probably mean that our turns might be even slower. So I encourage people to check their e-mails on a daily basis and try to post at least one turn a day. I know this is going to be difficult as we are all in different time zones and we all have different times when we check our e-mails.

Ok enough about the difficulties of PBEM and onto the format of the game

1) The game settings are:

default Activision files
      diety
      gigantic map
      ranging hordes
      bloodlust off
      pollution on
      earth shaped world

2) The map settings are:

0=far left 10=far right

wet/dry 5
      warm/cold 5
      ocean/land 3
      island/continent 3
      uniform/diverse 8
      few/many goods 5

3) This game will be a diplomatic game. This means that you try your best to forge up a reputation and a mighty civilization while maintaining the image of a real life leader. I would encourage all players to get into the spirit of civilization and start roleplaying. Imagine that you're the ruler of a real nation, what would you say to a neighbour ruler and how would you address him? What would your battle reports be like and how would you update the progress of your civs? Have a look at the thread "Tales of the diplomatic front II" in the civ2 multiplaying forum if you don't know what I am talking about.

4) Don't be too obsessive about trying to destroy the other civs. Try not to use cheap tactics (ICS Infinite City Sleaze comes to mind) when you are playing. How would you like it if you had been happily playing for a few months and managed to reached up to the 150th turn only to have some pkiller come along and destroy your civ in 5 turns? Not fun, I'm sure you will agree. Play not to win, but for enjoyment.

5) Flaming, bad language, racial slurs, excessive gloating will not be tolerated. Show some consideration and respect for your fellow players.

I just have one question: How do we chat? do we still use the chat box? or do we have to e-mail one another?
      Monkey I am proud to be!
      ...Stefu

Comment

We should talk by emials and ICQ or IRC but the meesages to all civs should be placed on this forum - I propose to create special subject - Tales from PBEM diplomatic game and then we will be sending there our informations.

I agree in 100% with Monkey - we dont play to destroy - we play for teaching diplomacy
        "We, in Poland, dont know the idea of peace at any price. There is only one thing in life of people, nations, and countries that is priceless. This thing is honor!" - Jozef Beck, Polish Foreign Minister. 5 V 1939

Comment

Sounds Great Monkey. Those are almost ideal settings. Lets play!

Comment

If it helps, maybe you can order the players by time zone. For example, players in Austrilia would go first, hen Asia, then Europe, and finally United States/Canada. I'm not being all inclusive here, but I hope you get the point.

Comment

Im from Poland and I can play 22.00 CET
              When do we start???????
              "We, in Poland, dont know the idea of peace at any price. There is only one thing in life of people, nations, and countries that is priceless. This thing is honor!" - Jozef Beck, Polish Foreign Minister. 5 V 1939

Comment

Is there an open place for me to play CTP by e-mail

Comment

what does infinite city sleaze mean?

Comment

Working...
                  X