Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Quinns . So nice to see you posting here again
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Thanks Solver!

Oh... and I challenge Lung Lunger Luland too. He's pretty good, I hear.

Birdman, I will mediate your PBEM challenge match with C-MATRIX if you like.

Comment

Just a challenge

Quinns,
        I don't know if you are ready for a challenge from "The Unknown
        Dimension", but if you fill strong enough to play against The First Three, then you won't afraid of a game with me.

In this way you can moderate our game too.
        CYBORG> Combat Model,
        MetaCl.> ORACLE, SubCl.>>DEMON,
        SkillCl.> ANACONDA> Att 5*,Def 5*,
        Moral> 5*, Luck> Irish, Disadv.> None

Comment

C-Matrix, thanks. Sounds good to me. I accept the challenge. I'll start it up if you like. I'll be the Chinese. What country do you want to be?

Here are the settings (per Birdman with some slight modifications -- we can make these standard to PBEM Challenges if you all agree)...

Map size: Huge
          Difficulty: Emperor
          Barbs: Raging Hordes
          Earth World
          Bloodlust Off
          Pollution On
          Number of Civilizations 4
          (2 Human Players, 2 Computer Players)
          Map:
          Wet/dry 50%
          warm/cold 50%
          Ocean/land 50%
          Island/continent 50%
          Uniform/diverse 50%
          few/many goods 50%
          One Settler (default)
          100 Gold (default)

And, C-Matrix, just because I am "strong" (or stupid) enough to challenge the top three doesn't mean I am any good at CTP ... it just means I am one arrogant SOB!

Comment

Quinns likewise I agree it is good to see you here and posting... whatever our past disputes may have been, the forums are a lesser place without you here.
            He's back after a fashion...

Comment

I suppose I can forget about our past Gavrushka. I never did understand our dispute anyway. Thanks for the words of welcome.

Comment

Game settings

Quinns,
                I am happy with any suggested settings!

But to make particular set a "standard" is a demanding task.
                At least the target of the game should be clear.
                For a 1 on 1 game the settings should be maximized for decreasing the number of turns (what means, we don't need a rough terrain soccer field to play box).
                Your settings are even 3 to 4 times slower then those we have with The BirdMan, but if you like them it is all right.

I get the feeling you like water sports. (Just be aware of the sharks)

So if you are ready with the map we can start.
                ps (ignore maps with Human start from small "prison" islands)
                (I play Mayan usually)
                CYBORG> Combat Model,

Comment

Okay C-Matrix. Great! Thanks for accepting our settings (I don't think we will get any prison islands with 50% land, but okay). You are right about setting the standard with these settings. Players can agree to whatever they like for their challenge.

What is your e-mail address C-Matrix? I will set it up. You can e-mail me at quinn2084@yahoo.com if you don't want to make it public.

Comment

CTP PBEM Challenge Rules

I like the idea of these PBEM Challenges Birdman! How about these "first draft" rules for these matches? (I must like rules or something -- one screwed up individual am I ...)

These would apply to all players that engage in CTP PBEM Challenge Matches...

--------------------------------
                    1. No Cheating (-- this goes without saying, really). This means:
                    a) No looking at the opponent's turns;
                    b) No tricks or intentional bug uses (like rush buying and removing from queue, to name one);
                    c) Anything else that is obvious cheating.
                    Some of these can be enforced by the moderator and some can't. Just be honest, no problems then.

2. Players should keep all their turns for the entire match. If the game is disputed, the moderator can look turn by turn, if necessary, to see if any cheating occured.

3. No help from other CTP players is allowed during a match.

4. Any one found cheating will be permanently banned from CTP PBEM Challenges.

5. A match must run for at least 10 turns for it to become an official challenge match.

6. Automatic Victory. After the 20 turn mark, any player with a Power Graph 4 times that of their opponent automatically wins the match . If disputed, the final turn is emailed to the moderator for verification.

7. Courtesy 24 hour rule. Players will try to play and send their turn within 24 hours from receipt of turn.

8. Automatic Forfeit. If a player fails to send a turn within one week or more from receipt date, one warning is sent by the moderator. If no response is received within one week from then, the game is considered a win for the opposing player, (if the match is over 10 turns old, otherwise the match is not counted at all).
                    -----------------------

If enough people participate in these matches, I may record and post results (this would be much easier than calculating the CTP PBEM Ratings because there are only two individuals involved in each match).
                    Last edited by quinns; May 3, 2002, 16:22.

Comment

Challenge rules

Very good start Quinns!

I admire people who use logic to solve the problems or analyze other opinions.
                      Anything other is subjective and just transforms the problem into a rolling snowball with the time.

And every standard should be the merge of opinions and votes from all players who would like to participate.
                      Otherwise there won't be many people to use those standards.
                      CYBORG> Combat Model,

Comment

Quinns, excellent! Now I see you're *really* back. We could now fire up a third ratings system, the CtP Challenges one, or?

Comment

C-Matrix -- You're right. Of course these "suggested" rules are just that. Any opinions to changes are welcome! I always like to just start out with the best guess at the rules I can make... and then let people shoot holes in them or improve them as they will. At least it gives us a target to shoot at. I found that this is the most efficient way of coming to a compromise -- Start with SOMETHING, then agree or disagree, add or delete.

Solver -- Great idea (again)! I was hoping you would see it that way... I was thinking the name of it should be "CTP PBEM Challenge Ratings" to differentiate it from the other two ratings system and to be explicit about it being PBEM One-on-One matches, and not Internet matches, (just as Birdman suggested in the first place). Maybe it will get as popular as the other rankings systems that Blackice and Gavrushka are running. Maybe not.

By the way, I don't think these matches will take nearly as long as the multiple player PBEM matches. One-on-One PBEM matches can go very fast and many can be finished in 2 to 4 months, especially with the Automatic Victory rule mentioned above. (If this still seems too long to some players, then start many Challenge PBEM matches at once, it will keep you plenty busy! )

Quinns Says Hello!

Comment

Dunno if exactly that popular, but I'm so incredibly happy that the ratings I invented are now humming along so well . There's nothing I did, but it was my idea .

Comment

Right Solver. Maybe not that popular... But maybe PBEM Challenges will be popular with those of us who have another life outside of CTP. Internet CTP games are great but require much, much time.

Comment

What do you mean, quinns? There's life outside Apolyton, eh?

Nah, I'll be happy to do something for the community, yet again!

Comment

Working...
                                X