Should we allow a "Team" Mercenary"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we allow a "Team" Mercenary"

At the request of UnO, Im launching this poll.

1 vote per team.

OPD's new team, and UnO's team count in voting.

Glory of (more) War does NOT, unless we see some action/ activity from that team very soon.

Post your vote in the thread. And again one per team.

Look at this objectively, everyone here should IMHO have a say on how they want to play the game. OPD's new team is already forming on the precept of "something other than victory" as there final end state.

Do we need a vote on that as well?

If you dont like the "team Mercenary" concept than settle that issue in game much like real life

Please try and be objective
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Team Mercenary abstains, as we are (obviously) biased. And, it's really up to the 'serious' teams to decide if they want this element in their competition or not.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
      Team Mercenary abstains, as we are (obviously) biased. And, it's really up to the 'serious' teams to decide if they want this element in their competition or not.

It would change the structure of the game. While I think it would be in a fun way, I realize not everyone agrees with that.

Comment

I am not sure of Vox as a whole, but I am fine with them joining

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think we should hold off on map discussions untill this is resolved as I think this can or maybe even should have teams rethinking their position on map type and what not because I know my team is leaning towards full random, but likely if we allow a mercenary team it might be under the condition that they start out on a lone island.
          GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

That would save Team Merc allot of worry early in the game. No nervous neighbors and all. Couldn't ask for a better situation. Which is precisely why we wouldn't dream of asking someone mod the map in our specific favor.

I'm going to give one piece of advice to all teams right now. We do have a history with the Team Mercenary concept, open for anyone to read, as seen in our other thread.

In the past, teams looking at Team Mercenary as a liability have generally faired worse than teams looking at Team Mercenary as an opportunity.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Hmm. I don't have a vote, nor even a team at this moment. But, I don't favor the idea of a team without a commitment to the game. I would like the idea, personally, to be able to distance myself from the intensity of a demo game and to pretend to be a freelance mercenary.

But I don't know that I care for the idea in a game.

I would request equal commitment from all parties. Sorry TM.

GB

Comment

Ofcourse I cannot speak for anyone but myself, but i do like the concept and would not have any problem of such a team being in the game. However I would expect this team to be using mercenaries in a way to accumalate wealth and increase their influence more than as a service to the rest of the teams. And in the circumstance they were attacked they would do what they can to drive any agressor off, including the use of active diplomacy to get other nations to help them in their struggle.
                Not every nation or team can win the game, nor will at a given time to be able to do so. This is not a reason to stop playing the game. Vox and RP did not have any chance of winning after their respective defeat in the PTWDG but they didn't stop playing for that. Sweden IRL have no chance of ever being able to compete with the "big boys", but yet they do what they can to increase their influence to most possible.
                As long as Team Mercenary act with self presevation and always try to do what is best for themselves in the long run i have, personaly, no problem with them being in the game.
                Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

I am not in favour, for reasons I have stated elsewhere. I think it upsets the geo-political balance of the game.

But our team has not had a chance to discuss it at all, so for now, that is my vote.
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

If the mercenarys had there own island, in the middle of nowhere, I'd been fine with it. But, how would it work? (ex: how would you guys send your "mercenarys?" Whats the pay system?)
                    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Every team gets a fair start, and they are free to do whatever they want with the other teams. Why should one team get a special treatment?
                      Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                      King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                      ---------
                      May God Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboo123
                        If the mercenarys had there own island, in the middle of nowhere, I'd been fine with it. But, how would it work? (ex: how would you guys send your "mercenarys?" Whats the pay system?)
                        I suggest you read our team thread to see 'how it works'.

And, no, sitting us out in the 'middle of nowhere' would likely not be fair to other teams. It's actually quite an advantage to our philosophy, not having anyone getting nervous about having us a neighbor...
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Alpha Centaurians vote 'yea' on this issue.
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

TEAM BANANA is peeling back the layers on this one

no comment yet
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Yeah, something about using banana peels as ballots and mispunched peels... this ones coming down to the wire... I think we're gonna have another Florida thing.
                              GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Working...
                              X