Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EC3 Fix #6 - BRING BACK NATURAL DISASTERS

bcr3:

"I would return the natural disasters to Civ III, but with the extra suggestions we compiled back in August & September."

Yes!! Epidemics, volcanos, floods...Perhaps a rarely occuring "____ in arms near ____!!" event where the fanatics/rebels/pirates whatever are more strong then usual.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Yes please

Comment

That's allright, but only if you can influence the chance of preventing such events.
        I mean, the chance there will be a flood depends very much on geographic features like rivers and oceans. Cities that build certain improvements (****s, walls and such) could reduce their chances to be hit by a disaster. The same counts for a pestilence and improvements as hospitals and auquaducts. I guess you people can think up more possibilitie along these lines.

------------------
        Adopt, Adapt and Improve
        Adopt, Adapt and Improve

Comment

Marcel, in Civ 1 building city improvements prevented certain disasters, like barracks prevented pirates and temple prevented earthquake.
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I'm for disasters, but it should be an option like barbarians. Like stable for no activity all the way to cataclysmic where there is something going on every 5 to 10 turns.
            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

The idea of truly random disasters adds a definite unpredicatable flavor to the game. In smac, there were 'disasters' with improvements to prevent them. I would hope the same would be true in Civ III.
              Z

Comment

One thing I think should be added: If one subtages a hydroplant up-river [and we'd have to have some way of knowing the flow of the river] from a unit [up to 2 or 3 spaces], then those units get flooded and either die or lose hit points.

Next idea: River flow. If you go with the river you get a 1/3 movement penalty- if you go against it you get a 1/2 movement penalty.

NATURAL DISASTERS: I think if the game expands into the distant future, then we should have the possiblity not only of global warming but also of asteroids, and the developement of technology to resist it. Now, I think in a 1 in a 10000 chance we should have asteroids hit in ancient times, just for little balance. But with lasers should come more possibility for asteroid impact.
                "One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets
                FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
                We shall never forget!!

Comment

possible disasters:
                  -volcanos
                  -earthquakes
                  -plauges
                  -famine
                  -tsnamis(tidal waves)
                  -floods
                  -astroids maybe?
                  Its predicted that there should be 1 major impact -1 km or so- every 100,000 years. Although there are smaller -100 m- impacts that could wipe out a city. These may occur on average as offten a 1 per century. Anyway, you should be able to deflect them(maybe you'd be warned and have several turns to lauch a mission to deflect it).

pleas add any other ideas for the actual disasters and effects.

Comment

Here's an idea:
                    In the late game, when pollution become a problem, some natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, diseases (caused by chemical or biological experiments) should occur more frequently.
                    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                    --George Bernard Shaw
                    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                    --Woody Allen

Comment

i like the idea of random disasters... the way they did it in civ 1..... although i think improvement should prevent disasters but also pollution of black plague should have some real nasty effects.... historically of course
                      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Was it an earthquake or a volcanic eruption that a temple prevented. Either way how on earth did it manage to do this???

Comment

It prevented the volcano disaster, which was caused, of course, by the anger of the gods.

Comment

well i dont' think a temple should prevent any natural disaster....

However accidents should happen anyways regardless of your improvements to account for human error and such......

City walls is good to prevent flooding though
                            But plague should be rampant in the early beginnings ..... i would love to see the empires thing discussed in the other thread have a decline due to plague that is somewhat realistic
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

yeah, keep it realistic. walls help prevent flood. aqueducts help prevent fire. hospitals help prevent plague. we don't want temples preventing volcanoes.

and personally i don't think you should be able to absolutely rule out most of the disasters from occuring. some improvements should drastically reduce the likelihood, but no one should be immune to disaster.

keep it realistic
                              - mkl

Comment

Working...
                              X