Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoTLikeTea

Welcome back!

2.1.1.1. Good point. Paganism might very well be a religion players choose to play with. I don't think anyone will mind if I edit out the word "pagan" from 2.1.1.1. and leave it simply "non-aligned."

2.1.1.9) Why would anyone persecute a religion early on in its development? One obvious answer springs to mind. If you are experiencing the benefits of a nearly homogonized state religion and the AI decides a prophet needs to start preaching an opposing religion in your civ, you would be motivated to squelch that religion as soon as possible.

2.2.5.6) Another good point. Again, play testing will help, but missions in the game shouldn't be thought of strictly as "missions," but also underground movements, illegal gatherings, etc. The foundation for this proposal is that you can't absolutely regiment what people think (until the invention of TV, perhaps?). Actually, since you can always expel a cleric unit if you see him coming, the odds are stacked IN your favor, here, despite what I just pointed out.

2.2.5.8) Re indestructible missions -- Others may disagree, but I think there are more means to squelch a religion than to make them spread. Again, playtesting.

3.1.1.1) Maybe this is too generous, even with 3.1.1.2), and then again maybe not. Happiness bonuses are always the greatest area of uncertainty in these discussions. Nobody knows until they try it out. I've noted your alternative suggestion under this point.

5.4) Funny, propagandists was the only idea on the entire thread that I DIDN'T like! Ick, blech, spit--what're you, NUTS????

And speaking of...

Stefu

1) On 9/7 you nominated me to be the new TM via private e-mail to myself, Will, M@ni@c and MBrazier.

2) On 9/10 you ambiguously posted that you would be the TM "also." (That was a fun one.)

3) But today you clarified that in fact, I am not the TM as you nominated. Despite that we had all agreed to your nomination and had made me the new TM, you unilaterally, fired me and renominated yourself. Uh, Lucy? You got some 'splainin' to do.

Actually, don't bother. I don't want to hear anymore about TM'ing. IMO, this issue most of your posts are concerned with is the least important one on the thread. Let's just say you made an offer to me that you can't keep but that's your problem. Now, to business.

To All

There may be 2 summaries for the v2.0 religion thread, per Yin's post yesterday in the List Two Update. It depends on whether Stefu feels the summary I posted fairly represents the thread or not. If he does, then Yin will go ahead and include it as the sole summary. If not, then there will be two summaries.

Either way, Yin is expecting this summary in on Monday, and I will send it to him when I've heard from you guys by the end of the day tomorrow. Good job everybody.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by raingoon (edited September 13, 1999).]</font>

Comment

• My argument for Propagandists is to prevent a feeling of antiquitity from spreading througt to the modern era.

In the old days, no one much cared if your iv was a democracy, an empire, a kingdom, or whatever. If you were the right religion, super. If not, you were distrusted.

In the modern era, government and economics are more important. Think of the cold war. You could even consider governmental models in terms of the religions.

In the case of Communism, Marx could be considered the "prophet". "Missionaries" are sent out to other civs to "convert" the public. Confilic occurs with other civs of different beliefs (capitalist US, for example). And so forth.... Same could apply to capitalism, democracy, and other modern forms of governance.

Comment

• My argument for Propagandists is to prevent a feeling of antiquitity from spreading througt to the modern era.

In the old days, no one much cared if your iv was a democracy, an empire, a kingdom, or whatever. If you were the right religion, super. If not, you were distrusted.

In the modern era, government and economics are more important. Think of the cold war. You could even consider governmental models in terms of the religions.

In the case of Communism, Marx could be considered the "prophet". "Missionaries" are sent out to other civs to "convert" the public. Confilic occurs with other civs of different beliefs (capitalist US, for example). And so forth.... Same could apply to capitalism, democracy, and other modern forms of governance.

Comment

• NotLikeTea, I hope you know I was kidding about not liking "propagandists..." It's a valid point.

Comment

• I was reading this new religion modle and I really do like it. However, I must disagree with Paganism being the base religion and then disappearing. Perhapse have the base called "non-Organized" or animalism, but have the chance of Paganism developing later on? all in all a very small rant. other than tha,t I could really see palying a game with this in it

Comment

Working...
            X