Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ-Specific Strategy: Americans

Hi all,

I received a couple of "raised-eyebrow" reactions when I mentioned (shortly after PTW came out) that America is a "powerhouse" civ in multiplayer. The more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that the America is a great in general (in Civ3; please, no political commentary!). I'm first going to outline why I think the Americans shine in MP, then proceed to discuss some strats specific to the Industrious/Expansionist trait combo. Finally I'll list some random thoughts concerning the Americans.

1. MP Dominance

With a near-useless UU (completely useless in MP), the Americans are all about the strength of their traits. IMO, Industrious and Expansionist are best traits for MP games. Here's why:

a. Industrious

Industrious is pivotal because you need to get off the ground fast; no time to wait for your economy to build up like in SP. Given that many MP games are short affairs (small maps preferred...frequent quitters), doing things earlier ensures you're on top the entire game. As a side note, for this very reason I believe the Scientific trait to be discounted in MP games. But, of course, the best thing about Industrious is that it just keeps on giving; Industrious Worker's advantage over normal Workers is just as potent in the Industrial age as the Ancient age. Thus, Industrious does not suffer from the "window" effect present in the other traits (Expasionist is early-game only, Commercial is mid to late-game only, Religious is mostly mid-game only, etc.).

Industrious Workers also give you a lot of leeway in what you can afford to do "creatively" in terms of tile improvements. The main creative use of Workers is for building a military road network. Most players do not expect reinforcements to arrive at their doorstep at three times the normal speed. Another creative use is Fortresses, which human players are deathly afraid of, in the right location.

b. Expansionist

Expansionist is amazing for a few reasons. First, the information you gain from early exploration is far more useful in MP than in SP. Against AIs, you can expect a certain standard behaviour (with experience), such as an aggressive REX phase, more or less "blob-like" growth, rapid tech-trading, founding of cities near Luxuries, perhaps an early Archer-rush from the Germans, etc. The point is that all of this is predictable. Against a human player, anything goes. Here's just a list of things the human player can possibly do to ruin your day early on: 1) send military units to aggressively claim Strategic resources ("You want Horses? NEVER, they're all MINE!!!), 2) sneak military units just outside your visible range in order to launch a very suprising attack, 3) not follow a civ's "typical" strategy, like Archer rushing with the Greeks, 4) expand aggressively in your direction only. Obviously, all of these things are bad news. Your best defense is early and plentiful information, and nothing provides this better than Scouts.

The second reason Expansionist is great in MP is similar to the discussion of Industrious above. Scouts provide early-game advantages in terms of techs, gold, maybe even Setters or cities. MP is all about the early-game, and Scouts ensure you're on top from the start.

Finally, Scouts are for playing mind games. Place a Scout 1 tile away from the opponent's capital, just out of reach of their defender. Now you've planted a spy that the other player will want to eliminate. But your Scout moves fast! When the defender moves to attack, step back. Now you're luring their defense out of their city. Games like this may will result in a very frustrated opponent, which is good for you.

Every trait is useful, to be sure, but no 2 traits allow you to do quite as much in MP as those just described.

2. Industriousness, Expansionism and You

America's traits are highly synergistic, moreso than any other civ's (although Egypt, China and Babylon are close seconds). In no particular order, here's what America allows you to do:

a. Rapid Growth

Putting Pottery together with Industrious Workers allows for the fastest possible expansion of any civ (assuming equivalent starting locations). Here's not an unusual scenario: your starting location contains a combination of Forest and Grassland tiles. What do you do during your first few turns (other than explore with the Scout)? Here's a possibility: start on a Granary immediately. Sound crazy? In ten turns with 2 Forest chopped down you've got 20 Shields to go on your Granary, which is only 5-6 turns now that you're at size 2. So in 15 turns you've got a Granary in your capital. Now, assuming some nice production tiles, you can produce Settlers twice as fast as you normally could! The best part is that your Scout is roaming around, making sure you're not getting into trouble with enemy civs or Barbarians. Plus, by the time your Settler is ready (between turn 20-25), you've already scouted out your second city site, and maybe even built a road to it.

b. Flexible Production

Even if the Granary plan doesn't seem like a good idea, you're still ahead because you're flexible. Knowledge gained from your Scout will tell you whether to pop out some early Archers, Spearmen, or just Settler after Settler. Again, fast Workers help you do whatever you plan on that much better.

c. Gold and Techs

All the money and techs you get from your Scout, combined with faster trade revenues due to your Industrious workes makes you the richest and most advanced civ in the first part of the game (surpassing those Scientific and Commercial late-bloomers!). With so many techs and money, you can basically bend any trade negotiation to your advantage, especially in SP. In MP, this advantage translates into not having to depend on any other civ early on. It will usually be your call whether you want to spread techs around or keep them to yourself. Human players will give you almost anything for an early chance at Monarchy, Horseback Riding or Iron Working.

d. Resource Denial

With a fast tech rate (or equivalent, see point c) and a nice view of the local geography provided by your Scouts, you're in a great position to attempt some resource denial. With Iron and Horses visible (hopefully while they're still hidden from the opponent's view), you can place your cities on or around those locations. Or, you keep an eye on those locations with your Scouts, perhaps even starting a minor skirmish in case another civ gets too close. The is nothing sweeter than denying Horses from every other civ on your continent in the early age (thumbs up if you can deny both types of resource!).

e. Flexible Research

Without Bronze Working or Warrior Code, you lose a bit of a lead on your first type of military units (Horsemen or Swordsmen). However, what you lose in speed, you do gain in flexibility. If the local geography looks good for Sworsmen (lots of Forest, Hills and Mountains), hit Bronze Working; if it's mostly open Plains and Grasslands, go for The Wheel. Most other civs will be directed in their choice of early attacker either by their starting tech or their UU (Iroquois Swordsmen are pretty strange). You can adjust to fit the situation.

3. Randomness

a. Yes, the American UU is...umm..."sub-optimal". This is a definite disadvantage. However, there is a single saving grace: no UU means even more flexibility (did I mention the Americans are, above all, flexible?). Whereas you can pretty much expect a MW rush from the Iroquois, a Jag rush from the Aztecs, and no rush from the Greeks, there's simply nothing to expect from the Americans. This means that the Americans are not "confined" to a specific point in the game where they need to (or are expected to) shine.

b. Of course, no UU (uh, you know what I mean...) means that a GA needs to be triggered via Wonders. Here's the list of Wonder's you need to keep an eye out for: (Industrious) Pyramids, Hanging Gardens, Hoover Dam, Mahhattan Project; (Expansionist) The Colossus, Great Lighthouse, Copernicus' Observatory, Magellan's Expedition, SETI Program. Recall that you don't have to actually build the two Wonders with the required traits: if you control one half, building a Wonder that satisfies the other will trigger a GA. For example, if you conquer Berlin which houses the Pyramids, and you subsequently build Copernicus's, a GA will begin. Thanks to whoever clarified this in another thread (I cannot remember your name right now...sorry!).

c. Canada rules.

d. All the names of the American cities are well-known and easy to recognize (at least for North American players). This means you'll recall where specific cities are located on the map much more often (compared to, say, all those funky Persian or Korean names). I guess if you're Korean you'll remember those city names better...and, of course, you can always just rename any city (hey, this section is random, I can say whatever I want). Anyway, you many not think that having recognizable city names is a particularly good thing, but it will actually help you recall more build queues, potential civil disorders, and other important, city-specific things.

e. Finally(!), as of now, many human players underestimate the Americans. This means: 1) you'll always be able to pick them, and 2) you won't be considered much of a threat. Use this (and your flexibility!) to your advantage.

Comments, questions, more random thoughts...all welcome.

Dominae
    Last edited by Dominae; December 11, 2002, 13:39.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

very nice post, I've been a quite follower of these forums for quite some time... reading the posts of all you great civers and i too recently played the amaricans (non ptw unfortunatly) on the AU 202 and must say i was pleasently suprised with their results a well written and thoughtout post as usual dominae
    Last edited by VenomLord; December 11, 2002, 05:00.

Comment

Dom: Good thread. I chose the Mongols in AU 202, hoping to just overrun the continent. It's working, but I feel that Industrious would do me more good than Militaristic.

First, the information you gain from early exploration is far more useful in MP than in SP.
      Without a doubt.

America's traits are highly synergistic, moreso than any other civ's (although Egypt, China and Babylon are close seconds).
      They do complement each other nicely. Maybe the best part of the Americans.

With a fast tech rate (or equivalent, see point b) and a nice view of the local geography provided by your Scouts, you're in a great position to attempt some resource denial.
      This can be important, especially if you encounter Egypt, or Rome...... I think this would be one of the easiest ways to get ahead in mp.

Canada rules.
      [cueing]Star Spangled Banner[/cueing]

This means: 1) you'll always be able to pick them, and 2) you won't be considered much of a threat. Use this (and your flexibility!) to your advantage.
      This I like. If anyone else can work out a strategy with another lesser used civ, then that is probably a lot more valuable than knowing how to archer rush with the Chinese. It may not be more effective, but....

Good thread dom.

Comment

Excellent

Outstanding post, Dominae! (of the goddess?)

I saw that quote on America being a superpower civ and I just stared blankly at my monitor. Recent threads on scouting, plus AU 202 have been a huge eye-opener for expansionist, which was so far at the bottom of my six traits it wasn't funny. I've had snoozer performances in games with English, Zulu, and viewed good results with Iroquois and Vikings as due to their UU. The one game where I had an extremely strong victory with America - I was left wondering WHY. Basically, we expanded so well (on a large map) that we had a perfect vision of city placement and even forbidden palace placement, VERY early in the game. Before other civs had even finished expanding we had built our FP and had a double ring around it. Add in industrious and the national productivity was through the roof!

Thanks,
        Charis

PS (in edit) - So THAT'S why the American's have such a lousy UU, because the synergistic traits are superb, and giving them a UU before modern era would be overkill

Comment

Dominae,

I definitely agree that the Americans are a strong MP civ (and SP, actually). In fact, I chose the Americans in the only MP game where I had a choice to do so.

Just a couple of random comments:
          • Contrary to what you claim, Industrious is generally considered to be an early-game trait, with a second big use when railroads come. I agree with that assessment. After the ancient age, workers (or slaves) of even a non-industrious civ can generally keep up with the tiles worked. However, a good start often translates into a good rest of the game. Early-game advantages are powerful.
          • If you're into high scores, you need to play on huge pangea maps. Those are exactly the settings where the Americans shine even more.

Comment

c. Canada rules.
            Trying to slip that one past us, Dominae?

I've played the Americans before (most memorably in the AU game w/o military units) and they do have excellent trait synergy. Nobody expands better than the Americans - they're like a fungus. No, wait, that's not it...

One minor quibble:
            Thus, Industrious does not suffer from the "window" effect present in the other traits (Expasionist is early-game only, Commercial is mid to late-game only, Religious is mostly mid-game only, etc.).
            Surely when you typed that you had to know I'd have something to say about it. Religious is not mostly a mid-game only trait. Temples @ 30 shields each - that's early game (and huge in SP, I feel), and government switches can occur at any time.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Civ-Specific Strategy: Americans

Originally posted by Dominae

c. Canada rules.

Dominae
              O Canada!
              Our home and native land!
              True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
              The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
              O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

We love our northern neighbors even if you did send us Celine Dion

Comment

I do remember having quite a GA with them. In democracy by building the Hoover Damn. I built a lot of Factories I haven't played them since the old Regent days when I was still trying (and mostly failing) to be a Civ2 builder.

Comment

Re: Civ-Specific Strategy: Americans

e. Flexible Research

Without Bronze Working or Warrior Code, you lose a bit of a lead on your first type of military units (Horsemen or Swordsmen). However, you what you lose in speed, you do gain in flexibility. If the local geography looks good for Sworsmen (lots of Forest, Hills and Mountains), hit Bronze Working; if it's mostly open Plains and Grasslands, go for The Wheel. Most other civs will be directed in their choice of early attacker either by their starting tech or their UU (Iroquois Swordsmen are pretty strange). You can adjust to fit the situation.

[
                  This may well have already been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed that, unlike in Civ 2, the techs you get from a hut are neither the one you are researching, nor any that have pre-reqs which you have not got.

So I always try and find a relatively "dead-end" tech to research, to maximise my chances of getting along the writing or monarchy branches from the huts. I usually pick the wheel as my research tech, not having thought about your resource-denial point.

Nice article dominae. I had my first (SP) win as the AMericans, without ever getting a GA!

Comment

Thanks for comments everyone!

Charis: I'm still trying to figure out if the Firaxians knew the Industrious/Expansionsist combo is good enough to warrant giving America an irrelevant UU. Sure, the F15 makes sense, but the situation reeks of "game balancing", IMO. Perhaps we should give the development team more credit than we have previously?

alexman: I hold firm to my belief Industrious is a very relevant trait up to and including the Industrial age (admittedly, with peaks in usefulness in the early-game and during industriliazation). By high score games and Huge Pangea maps, I believe you're referring to Aeson's 'Borg' game a while back...scary stuff he pulled off with the Americans!

Jawa Jocky: I'm pleasantly surprised you know our anthem! Sorry about Celine Dion, but she's actually top-secret espionage/subversion weapon specifally crafted for use against your country...Too effective, IMO.

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Surely when you typed that you had to know I'd have something to say about it. Religious is not mostly a mid-game only trait. Temples @ 30 shields each - that's early game (and huge in SP, I feel), and government switches can occur at any time.
                    Heh, what's an article without a few debate-starters? Yes, if you make a point of building Temples early, I can see how the Religious windows is "widened". But I consider the mass-production of Temples and Cathedrals primarily a mid-game occurence, even for Religious civs. In addition, (correct me if I'm wrong), but the Culture effect of Temples is only apparent when conquering other civs, which is mainly a mid-game affair. The ability to change governments is relevant in mid-game only: you're in the mid-game when you get Monarchy or The Republic and switch between them; in the late-game, the only important switch is to Communism, which is rarely a viable option. Admittedly, I haven't given Religious a go in long while, so I'm open to a change in opinion.

Dominae

Comment

Dominae,

I build a temple in every new city I found, pretty much asap. In reasonably productive towns, it's usually warrior, worker, temple or warrior, worker, settler, temple. 1-shield towns will usually build a worker and start a temple, which gets poprushed.

Cheap temples make early warfare easier: rush a spearman upon taking the city (unless you brought some extras along, which I occasionally do), set to temple, 10 turns later, rush temple. *presto* the city is defended and cultured. This makes securing your conquests (both by preventing flips and just locking up your culture borders) easy.

The cultural power of early warfare + cheap temples is awesome. So much so that I have a friend who (after unwilling winning several games he wanted to milk for score - via culture) will deliberately not build cathedrals. As in he just won't ever build them. He often plays as the Iroquois on large/large maps and usually ends up with a staggeringly huge empire 'round about the beginning of the middle ages. Dunno why

I like doing a lot of fighting in the ancient age. Depending on my civ, I will often archer rush, swordsman rush, and/or horseman (or WC) rush. Usually a combo of the two, but not all three. The only constants are temples, barracks and troops.

Therefore, I see Religious as an early game boost (temples), and a mid-game boost (gov't switching, cathedrals). The government switching thing remains valid throughout, of course. But a trait that offers advantages primarily in the first 1/2 of the game is powerful, especially considering that I rarely see the last 1/4 of the game.

A last note on governments: I like to switch to Democracy. As a religious civ, I will often go Despot -> Monarchy -> Republic -> Demo. As a non-religious civ, I am more likely to ditch either Monarchy or Demo.

-Arrian

ps Sorry if I was a tad long-winded. I've been known to defend the religious trait every so often...
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Arrian, our strategies are remarkably similar. The one difference (obviously the one we have all these disagreemens about!) is whether or not to build Temples during the REX phase. If my core cities can build Barracks, military units and Workers at an acceptable pace, there is no way I'm going to forego those options to buid Temples. In the outlying cities that aren't as productive (2-3 Shield output or less), I'll use the queue you mentioned above (actually, these days I remove the Warrior and just go Worker, Worker, Temple or somesuch). I'm open to the possibility that early Culture is helpful, but I'm as of yet not convinced it's as helpful as more Settlers, Workers and military units at probably the most critical time in the game.

Don't worry about defending the Religious trait (or being long-winded), I believe I'm the one with the less-popular opinion...

Dominae

Comment

My second SP victory in Civ III was with the Americans with a GA in the modern era via building Hoover Dam & SETI.

In addition to the capture the Pyraimds and then build Coperacus for the GA, you can also capture both the Pyraimds (Industrious) & Colossus (Expansionist) and then build any GW whenever you want your GA.

Temples as ancient era wonder pre-builds are early game. Mass production of Temples is after both REX and any ancient era unit rush, and so the Temple portion of Religious is an early & mid game. Both Catherdrials & the govt switch out of Despotism are mid game, and so is the switch to Democracy, so Religious overall is an early game thru mid game traight.

Expansionsist benifit seems concentrated in the first 40 turns.

Industrial benifits are concentrated in both ancient era & industrial era in cold dry climates, but in hot wet climates where you have a lot of jungle to clear, there's not a middle age drop off in use.

Scientific benifits are scattered because your building structures early (Libaries and later Universitys) whose impact continues to increase throughout the game as the cities grow. The way I play, as a Scientific civ I'm mass producing Universities at the same time period where if I'm non-scienfic I'm mass producing Libaries.

Military also has spread out benfits. If your planning an ancient era rush, the half price baracks & walls are early game. If your more peaceful, the baracks are more likely to be built in the middle ages and no walls built. Certain food-shortage cities can use the half price Harbors in the ancient era, with a few more in middle ages, with the rest built in the industrial ages.

Commericalisms benifit is the inverse of Expansionist. It won't be felt at all until you have 3+ cities and gradually increases with the number of cities you build and as they grow but even at it's peak power is low at any given time compared to the others during their peak.

First verse of Star Spangled Banner:

Unfurl the Banner, and raize it to the Sky!
                          Let eagle cry from mountain high,
                          the never ending watch word of our nation,
                          now behold this gem of old, the wonder of the western sky!
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

But I consider the mass-production of Temples and Cathedrals primarily a mid-game occurence, even for Religious civs. [. . . .] you're in the mid-game when you get Monarchy or The Republic and switch between them; in the late-game, the only important switch is to Communism, which is rarely a viable option.
                            Originally posted by joncnuun
                            Temples as ancient era wonder pre-builds are early game. Mass production of Temples is after both REX and any ancient era unit rush, and so the Temple portion of Religious is an early & mid game. Both Catherdrials & the govt switch out of Despotism are mid game, and so is the switch to Democracy, so Religious overall is an early game thru mid game traight.
                            I'll jump into the Religious debate . . .

Although I agree that the benefits of the trait may be felt more strongly during certain times of the game, I hold to the view that religious is very helpful throughout the game. Cheap happiness improvements and the freedom to war at any time, for any reason, against any odds, without worrying about WW or up to 8 turns of anarchy is significant, IMHO. Even late game it means the ability to take advantage of faster workers under a democracy, or the ability to go Communist for 10 turns near the conclusion of an Industrial Age war to pop rush "expensive" improvements like cathedrals, markets, libraries, etc. -- nothing like capturing metro's (12+ pop), holding them (we have a culture lead because of our early temples, remember?) and pop-rushing them down to 3 or 4 while at the same time creating necessary infrastructure (pay cash for the temple and 7 citizens gets you a cathderal and granary, ensuring quick regrowth with your nationality citizens and offsetting the unhappiness of the pop-rushing - completely if you happen to control Sistine ). Neither such choice is terribly inviting with a non-religious civ.

But rather than extensively debate those merits, I'd throw out some additional considerations. The utility of the trait obviously increases if you play to it -- indeed this whole thread highlights the power of a certain civ, especially if played in a manner to exploit to the fullest its inherent advantages. I'm surprised someone hasn't argued for taking a different approach to the early game when playing a religious civ.

Whether you choose to use (or even believe in) the power of early temples, how about exploiting the combination of the religious starting tech and the anarchy-free gov switches? IMHO, a great opening gambit for religious civs is to build from the starting tech Ceremonial Burial and beeline to Monarchy. To do so you need Warrior Code (so go ahead and archer rush if you choose to do so). Both Mysticsim and Polytheism are "empty" - somewhat univiting unless they are used as an aggressive tech trading asset, in which case they are quite valuable. And getting to Monarchy first means: (1) early escape from the despot tile penalties (a big deal, IMHO); (2) first shot at the HG (nice to have, by no means a "great" GW in most cases); (3) a very expensive (trade value) tech for trading; and (4) the ability to use the dirty trick of trading Monarchy to a neighbor and then attacking during the neighbor's anarchy.

If you play a set opening with relatively static build choices and tactical considerations so that certain improvements come a certain game times, regardless of civ traits you're playing, then you're not necessarily exploiting to the fullest one of the arrows in your quiver.

Maybe all that should have gone into Arrian's The Breath of God thread . . .

Back on topic

Great analysis of the Americans Dominae.

Catt

P.S. - is the Great Wall also an "industrious" flagged wonder?

Comment

Let me clarify my original point so as not to spur endless debate (which is nonetheless really fun to read): the Religious trait, in comparison to the Industrious and Expansionist traits, is at its best at some point well beyond the 40th turn. If you want benefits right now from turn 1, Americans have the goods.

I believe this is secondary to the relative merits of the Religious trait in general. To convince me that the Egyptians, Iroquois or Arabs have a better early-game trait combination, you would need to show that: 1) super-early Temples directly promote the power of your civ, 2) Ceremonial Burial can be traded at high relative cost, or 3) a beeline to Monarchy helps your early growth. Point 2 is clearly false, and I doubt point 3 is true. Thus, point 1 is the only point of contention, and I happen to be on the skeptical side of the fence. Catt, I'm not saying that the Monarchy beeling is not a good strat (actually, I'm impressed; gotta try it!), just that it's not "early-game".

Slightly off-topic: going through the editor, I noticed that some Small Wonders have trait flags checked (for instance, Heroic Epic is Militaristic). Does this mean that you can trigger a GA with them (or, at least, fulfill that half of a GA's requirements)? I also noticed that The Colosssus is Expansionist, Commercial and Religious. This makes it the only Wonder with three traits. Is this normal?

Dominae
                              Last edited by Dominae; December 11, 2002, 16:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X